Missouri bill to ban all child marriages runs into resistance from House Republicans

Hmmm....this seems a no-brainer, protecting youth from both adult predators and the consequences of poor decisions resulting in getting married too young, often leaving the state holding the bag regarding finances and minor children. Yet, some of the Republicans in Missouri oppose it?
Their logic seems flawed. They trot out some successful early marriages, a minority---and ignore the negative consequences--the majority.

View attachment 944689
Missouri Republican state representative Dean Van Schoiak (Image: Facebook / Dean VanSchoiak)

A bipartisan bill that would outlaw all child marriages in Missouri has run into resistance from Republicans in the Missouri House that could prevent it from becoming law. The legislation, filed by Sen. Holly Thompson Rehder, a Scott City Republican, and Sen. Lauren Arthur, a Kansas City Democrat, would prohibit anyone under 18 from obtaining a marriage license. Current law allows 16 and 17-year-olds to get married with parental consent. The GOP-controlled state Senate approved the bill on a nearly unanimous vote of 31 to 1 last month. But the legislation has since stalled in a House committee with just more than a week left in this year’s legislative session which ends on May 17.

Supporters of the bill say the opposition illustrates some lawmakers’ extreme and archaic views on marriage. Missouri previously had one of the nation’s most lenient laws surrounding child marriage and the state’s current law has been criticized as a loophole that leaves thousands of teenagers open to abuse and exploitation. “Any explanation used to justify opposition is nothing more than, you know, an excuse to protect predators,” Arthur said in an interview. The committee’s chair, Rep. Jim Murphy, a St. Louis-area Republican, said in an interview that there aren’t enough votes within the committee to get it to the House floor. Seven of the 14 committee members oppose the legislation and disagree with raising the state’s marriage age, he said. “It’s on the…going 16 to 18,” Murphy, who supports the bill, said of the opposition. “There’s just enough members in that committee that don’t think that’s a good idea.”

One of those lawmakers is Rep. Dean Van Schoiack, a Savannah Republican and vice chair of the committee. Van Schoiack said in an interview that he knows people who got married as minors, including a woman at roughly age 17. The couple, he said, is “still madly in love with each other.” “Why is the government getting involved in people’s lives like this?” Van Schoiak said. “What purpose do we have in deciding that a couple who are 16 or 17 years old, their parents say, you know, ‘you guys love each other, go ahead and get married, you have my permission.’ Why would we stop that?”

Rehder, who is running for lieutenant governor, pushed back in an interview. “The government does tell people when they can get married because we do have an age limit right now,” she said. “The fact that he feels that it’s okay for a parent to make a decision for a child, that is a lifetime decision, is offensive.” The legislation is personal for Rehder, who was married at age 15 to her 21-year-old boyfriend in 1984. A year earlier, her sister, at age 16, married her 39-year-old drug dealer, she has said. “As a child that did get married,” she said, “I would say I have a lot more insight to this issue than what he does.”

Groomers gonna groom.

None of the people I used as examples were born earlier than the 20th Century and most are living now.
so they got married in 2011 and have been married for 50 years?

Methinks you're lying about more than one thing.

I didnt come close to even implying that.
THAT

I support child marriages. Meaning, I support a 16 year old marrying a 16 year old. Like if she got pregnant or something.
But they shouldnt be marrying 39 year olds. WTF
Was exactly what you said.

Got english?

1715370969818.gif

yes they are. They are only "Reversible" as in they stop blocking puberty IF IT IS OCCURING.

If it's past the period of puberty, well, shit out of luck.
Of course puberty blockers won't work if puberty is over. The damage puberty blockers cause is when they are given prior to puberty. Puberty blockers start at age 7 or 9. Genitalia will never grow or mature. The child is effectively sterilized. They can never have an orgasm. They are not transitioned they are neutered.

The most well known trans from early childhood is Jazz Jennings. He started puberty blockers at 9. When it came time for transition surgery his penis never grew. It could not be used in a vaginal surgery. The doctors had to do a bowel resection and use part of the lower colon.

There is nothing good or decent about transitioning children.

Many, maybe most 16 years old are not quite adults yet. But the more mature are capable of handling adult responsibilities. They really are not children.

That sister-in-law of mine who married at 14 was taking care of twin infant siblings at age 10 while her parents worked in the fields. And all survived it. She had two boys by the time she turned 17 and two more boys after that and stayed married for more than 50 years until she died of cancer. Raised in what we called then plentiful poverty as sharecroppers--little money or luxuries but a roof over their heads and plenty to eat because they grew their own food. Her husband was equally poor. But she told me more than once that it wasn't that hard, she and her husband worked hard and sometimes they struggled, but she would not change a thing. They would work their ways well into middle class status and her four boys all turned out to be prosperous, productive, successful citizens that made good lives for themselves too.

As an aside, my husband was one of those twins she took care of and his parents were not expecting him. The doctor charged $11 per delivery and his dad had that amount to pay for his twin sister but did not have the additional $11 to pay for my husband. The doctor died before he got paid for my husband so we've been waiting for him to be repossessed all these years. :)
My son was born when I was 18. I went on to get a masters degree in history and one in English Literature. I went on to get a law degree. I divorced after 14 years. Frankly, I had better things to do.

My son was born when I was 18. I went on to get a masters degree in history and one in English Literature. I went on to get a law degree. I divorced after 14 years. Frankly, I had better things to do.
Sorry about the divorce. But since I had my children in my early twenties, I have had a lot of time since they were dispatched to college to travel, to learn, to improve skills, to be more of my own person. And I was lucky enough to have a really good guy and a pretty good marriage the whole time. Still do. :)

OK. Some Reps, like the ones cited in topic the are are as fucked in the head as most Dems. That on topic enough for you?
Yup..it's worth noting that the vast majority of the Republican's support this bill. So, you seem to think that there is only a scant minority that aren't 'fucked in the head'?

Ya know....that most of us think that YOUR crowd is pretty wacko...and that your support and numbers are dropping as fast as Boomers reliving their youth at a rave~

Hmmm....this seems a no-brainer, protecting youth from both adult predators and the consequences of poor decisions resulting in getting married too young, often leaving the state holding the bag regarding finances and minor children. Yet, some of the Republicans in Missouri oppose it?
Their logic seems flawed. They trot out some successful early marriages, a minority---and ignore the negative consequences--the majority.

View attachment 944689
Missouri Republican state representative Dean Van Schoiak (Image: Facebook / Dean VanSchoiak)

A bipartisan bill that would outlaw all child marriages in Missouri has run into resistance from Republicans in the Missouri House that could prevent it from becoming law. The legislation, filed by Sen. Holly Thompson Rehder, a Scott City Republican, and Sen. Lauren Arthur, a Kansas City Democrat, would prohibit anyone under 18 from obtaining a marriage license. Current law allows 16 and 17-year-olds to get married with parental consent. The GOP-controlled state Senate approved the bill on a nearly unanimous vote of 31 to 1 last month. But the legislation has since stalled in a House committee with just more than a week left in this year’s legislative session which ends on May 17.

Supporters of the bill say the opposition illustrates some lawmakers’ extreme and archaic views on marriage. Missouri previously had one of the nation’s most lenient laws surrounding child marriage and the state’s current law has been criticized as a loophole that leaves thousands of teenagers open to abuse and exploitation. “Any explanation used to justify opposition is nothing more than, you know, an excuse to protect predators,” Arthur said in an interview. The committee’s chair, Rep. Jim Murphy, a St. Louis-area Republican, said in an interview that there aren’t enough votes within the committee to get it to the House floor. Seven of the 14 committee members oppose the legislation and disagree with raising the state’s marriage age, he said. “It’s on the…going 16 to 18,” Murphy, who supports the bill, said of the opposition. “There’s just enough members in that committee that don’t think that’s a good idea.”

One of those lawmakers is Rep. Dean Van Schoiack, a Savannah Republican and vice chair of the committee. Van Schoiack said in an interview that he knows people who got married as minors, including a woman at roughly age 17. The couple, he said, is “still madly in love with each other.” “Why is the government getting involved in people’s lives like this?” Van Schoiak said. “What purpose do we have in deciding that a couple who are 16 or 17 years old, their parents say, you know, ‘you guys love each other, go ahead and get married, you have my permission.’ Why would we stop that?”

Rehder, who is running for lieutenant governor, pushed back in an interview. “The government does tell people when they can get married because we do have an age limit right now,” she said. “The fact that he feels that it’s okay for a parent to make a decision for a child, that is a lifetime decision, is offensive.” The legislation is personal for Rehder, who was married at age 15 to her 21-year-old boyfriend in 1984. A year earlier, her sister, at age 16, married her 39-year-old drug dealer, she has said. “As a child that did get married,” she said, “I would say I have a lot more insight to this issue than what he does.”
Why am I not surprised?

I should be surprised, shouldn't I?

I was married at 15. At 15, i was working and had my own apartment. Married again when I was 16. It really depends on the person. Today we have immigrants from so many cultures that practice child marriage it's impractical to have such a nonsense law
I see, after the trial marriage, as it were..you got it right after....still in love and hooked up?
Good on you, if so, you beat the odds.

Disagree. Legislative action regarding parental consent for the decisions made by minors where it be marriage or transgender surgery is certainly on topic. Pedophilia, no.
The thread is at risk for getting derailed into transgender crap…you can bring it up if you want, but it shouldn’t derail the thread beyond parental consent.

I was married at 15. At 15, i was working and had my own apartment. Married again when I was 16. It really depends on the person. Today we have immigrants from so many cultures that practice child marriage it's impractical to have such a nonsense law
I don’t think it is impossible to have such laws, other countries do and just because immigrants practice child marriage is no reason to.

While clearly, some have done well, such as you, tbe statistics overall are not good, much like teen pregnancy and si GLD mothers.

Forum List

Back