Missouri bill to ban all child marriages runs into resistance from House Republicans

Please stay on topic folks, this is getting too easily derailed. Topic is child marriage laws not transgender stuff, not pedophilia unless it relates to child marriage.
Disagree. Legislative action regarding parental consent for the decisions made by minors where it be marriage or transgender surgery is certainly on topic. Pedophilia, no.

Funny how child-molesters like accusing their opponents of the shit they're doing.

Talk about your projection.

1715362131419.gif

Hmm...nice segue. AFAIK, no one is getting their children 'mutilated'. Surgery remains an over 18 affair.
Before you squeak out that puberty blockers are 'sexual mutilation'....they are not.
So, back to the topic..are you for or against child marriages..IE marriages where one or the other partner is over 18?

yes they are. They are only "Reversible" as in they stop blocking puberty IF IT IS OCCURING.

If it's past the period of puberty, well, shit out of luck.

We have several in our family who married at 16 or 17. My husband's oldest sister married at 14 and stayed happily married to her husband for more than 50 years until she died. His other sister married at 17 and remained happily married to her husband for more than 50 years before he died a few years ago. My older sister married at 17 and remained married until her husband died a few years ago. Others of our friends married very young and have stayed married.

I was barely 20 when I married and if I had met my husband sooner probably would have been younger.

There are no hard and fast rules for when a person is ready to marry.

I have no problem with requiring parental or guardian consent to marry before age 18, but downright banning marriages at 16 or 17 does seem overly extreme to me.
It's not 1916

Please join us in the 21st century.

Disagree. Legislative action regarding parental consent for the decisions made by minors where it be marriage or transgender surgery is certainly on topic. Pedophilia, no.
You can disagree but

1715362789884.png

We have several in our family who married at 16 or 17. My husband's oldest sister married at 14 and stayed happily married to her husband for more than 50 years until she died. His other sister married at 17 and remained happily married to her husband for more than 50 years before he died a few years ago. My older sister married at 17 and remained married until her husband died a few years ago. Others of our friends married very young and have stayed married.

I was barely 20 when I married and if I had met my husband sooner probably would have been younger.

There are no hard and fast rules for when a person is ready to marry.

I have no problem with requiring parental or guardian consent to marry before age 18, but downright banning marriages at 16 or 17 does seem overly extreme to me.
There is something to be said for marrying at a younger age. Primarily a woman's ability to pair bond. With each additional sex partner a woman's ability to pair bond diminishes. With enough of them, it's basically destroyed altogether. Now that's not necessarily related to age per say but rather promiscuity; in this day, and age an average 20 year old girl has a higher body count, than a mafia hit man, practically dooming any chance for a successful marriage.

Precisely what i was thinking. Dems support letting 17 y/os decide whether or not to chop off their dick or their breasts, but they can't decide to get married.

So, back to the topic..are you for or against child marriages..IE marriages where one or the other partner is over 18?

There is something to be said for marrying at a younger age. Primarily a woman's ability to pair bond. With each additional sex partner a woman's ability to pair bond diminishes. With enough of them, it's basically destroyed altogether. Now that's not necessarily related to age per say but rather promiscuity; in this day, and age an average 20 year old girl has a higher body count, than a mafia hit man, practically dooming any chance for a successful marriage.

This might be one of the dumbest things you have ever posted, and fuck there are a lot of dumb things to choose from.

The earliest a young person should voluntarily think about getting married is 30. One is generally more financially stable and has been working and saving.

None of the people I used as examples were born earlier than the 20th Century and most are living now.
I was married at 15. At 15, i was working and had my own apartment. Married again when I was 16. It really depends on the person. Today we have immigrants from so many cultures that practice child marriage it's impractical to have such a nonsense law

Thank you for your cogent and on-topic reply--it seems hard for some to actually go there.
I think that, despite your family's positive experiences with early marriage, that the majority of teen-marriages do NOT end in success.
Do we need to protect our youth from this possible hazard? I dunno, to be honest.
I do take a bit of umbrage with one committee holding up a bill that has near-unanimous support--across party lines.
I'm very tired of the the tail constantly wagging the dog.with divorce. The majority of all marriages end in divorce.
So what if the majority of young marriages end in divorce. The majority of all marriages end in divorce.

I was married at 15. At 15, i was working and had my own apartment. Married again when I was 16. It really depends on the person. Today we have immigrants from so many cultures that practice child marriage it's impractical to have such a nonsense law
Many, maybe most 16 years old are not quite adults yet. But the more mature are capable of handling adult responsibilities. They really are not children.

That sister-in-law of mine who married at 14 was taking care of twin infant siblings at age 10 while her parents worked in the fields. And all survived it. She had two boys by the time she turned 17 and two more boys after that and stayed married for more than 50 years until she died of cancer. Raised in what we called then plentiful poverty as sharecroppers--little money or luxuries but a roof over their heads and plenty to eat because they grew their own food. Her husband was equally poor. But she told me more than once that it wasn't that hard, she and her husband worked hard and sometimes they struggled, but she would not change a thing. They would work their ways well into middle class status and her four boys all turned out to be prosperous, productive, successful citizens that made good lives for themselves too.

As an aside, my husband was one of those twins she took care of and his parents were not expecting him. The doctor charged $11 per delivery and his dad had that amount to pay for his twin sister but did not have the additional $11 to pay for my husband. The doctor died before he got paid for my husband so we've been waiting for him to be repossessed all these years. :)

Forum List

Back