People Love Helpless Jews (to paraphrase a book title, People Love Dead Jews) - Jews that fight back, not so much

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
A while ago I read People Love Dead Jews: Reports from a Haunted Present by Dara Horn. The book's premise is that dead Jews, i.e. Holocaust victims (Anne Frank in particular) and other similar people are a lot more popular than actual, identifiable living Jews. The author writes a lengthy chapter on a righteous Gentile, Darian Fry, The gist of that appears to be that Darian Fry was not well liked as an actual person and got little glory. What the author did tell us about him was that aside from his year engaging in rescue he was extremely unhappy and not easy to get along with.

I paraphrase the title of People Love Dead Jews to People Love Helpless Jews. During the 1950's and the first half of the 1960's Israel and the Jews were media and liberal political darlings. Jewish songs used for hora dancing were popularized by popular singers such as Arlo Guthrie.

[youtube]12FmPyEqXvc[/youtube]

That changed rather suddenly after the 1967 War. Israel, blockaded by Egypt at the key port of Eilat, struck preemptively. The U.S., torn apart by Vietnam, was no help. Britain and France, their 1956 allies, had switched sides. Fast forward to today, where Jews are basically unwelcome on college campuses. People loved us when we were down and almost out. They wept copious tears for the Holocaust. However, in another context, as the companion song to We Are the World says, Tears Are Not Enough, by Northern Light.

[youtube]-ZLClmhSkGs[/youtube]

This theme is also well in The Arc of a Covenant: The United States, Israel and the Fate of the Jewish People by Walter Russell Mead.

NOTE: I had trouble placing this thread. I don't feel it belongs in either POC or Judaism so here it is.

Is that the same Anne Frank whose Father wrote the diaries in her name for the money ?

SEE -
Let’s Talk About Anne Frank, by Donny Ahzmond

Is that the same Anne Frank whose Father wrote the diaries in her name for the money ?

SEE -
Let’s Talk About Anne Frank, by Donny Ahzmond
I agree that parts of the diary are fraudulent. But her father was killed. I know that your hatred of Jews knows no bounds.

A while ago I read People Love Dead Jews: Reports from a Haunted Present by Dara Horn. The book's premise is that dead Jews, i.e. Holocaust victims (Anne Frank in particular) and other similar people are a lot more popular than actual, identifiable living Jews. The author writes a lengthy chapter on a righteous Gentile, Darian Fry, The gist of that appears to be that Darian Fry was not well liked as an actual person and got little glory. What the author did tell us about him was that aside from his year engaging in rescue he was extremely unhappy and not easy to get along with.

I paraphrase the title of People Love Dead Jews to People Love Helpless Jews. During the 1950's and the first half of the 1960's Israel and the Jews were media and liberal political darlings. Jewish songs used for hora dancing were popularized by popular singers such as Arlo Guthrie.

[youtube]12FmPyEqXvc[/youtube]

That changed rather suddenly after the 1967 War. Israel, blockaded by Egypt at the key port of Eilat, struck preemptively. The U.S., torn apart by Vietnam, was no help. Britain and France, their 1956 allies, had switched sides. Fast forward to today, where Jews are basically unwelcome on college campuses. People loved us when we were down and almost out. They wept copious tears for the Holocaust. However, in another context, as the companion song to We Are the World says, Tears Are Not Enough, by Northern Light.

[youtube]-ZLClmhSkGs[/youtube]

This theme is also well in The Arc of a Covenant: The United States, Israel and the Fate of the Jewish People by Walter Russell Mead.

NOTE: I had trouble placing this thread. I don't feel it belongs in either POC or Judaism so here it is.

People Love Helpless Jews, Jews that fight back, not so much​

What happens if you replace the word "Jews" with "Palestinians?"

Forum List

Back