XB-70 Valkyrie

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Cold War Bomber prototype. Could fly Mach 3 for almost 3 hours. Wing shape that folded allowed it to ride its own shock wave for lift.
The Concord SST was later made based upon what was learned.
IMG_5909.jpeg
IMG_5907.jpeg
IMG_5906.jpeg

Rollout May 1964. My wife to be is in the blue dress in the lower right corner.
IMG_5908.jpeg

Unfortunately the program was dropped because at the same time rocket development was the direction the powers to be wanted to go for delivery of nukes to the Soviet Union. A mid air collision with a chase plane made it easy for them to kill what I think is the coolest jet ever made.

Cold War Bomber prototype. Could fly Mach 3 for almost 3 hours. Wing shape that folded allowed it to ride its own shock wave for lift.
View attachment 821226View attachment 821227View attachment 821228

View attachment 821229

Unfortunately the program was dropped because at the same time rocket development was the direction the powers to be wanted to go for delivery of nukes to the Soviet Union. A mid air collision with a chase plane made it easy for them to kill what I think is the coolest jet ever made.
".....what I think is the coolest jet ever made."

That would be the B-58 Hustler, followed closely by the plane that accidentally struck the Valkyrie.

20508182643_ee38760430_o.jpg

NASA_F-104_01.jpg

View attachment 821226View attachment 821227View attachment 821228

View attachment 821229

Yeah, like the B-58 hustler that went supersonic, it was very hard to deliver payloads of bombs(not smart bombs) at the time. When traveling as fast as they were, sometimes the drop had to be below the horizon, and might be close by 100 miles.

Forum List

Back