10 things traditional Christians got horribly wrong

The author doesn't understand that slavery in the Bible is different than the slavery in the 17 to 1800's so the author is confused and is comparing apples to oranges when they say that the Bible has a positive view on slavery.

When you have an author who doesn't understand then the author is spreading more confusion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But to seriously suggest that "Traditional Christians" is a coherent group or representative of a unified whole is just silly.

It would be possible to find at least a couple "Christian" leaders or spokespeople who support everything from pederasty to patricide. But what would be the point, other than to slander a religion that you personally don't like?

Which is this bitch's whole focus. And you took it seriously.

The author doesn't understand that slavery in the Bible is different than the slavery in the 17 to 1800's so the author is confused and is comparing apples to oranges when they say that the Bible has a positive view on slavery.

When you have an author who doesn't understand then the author is spreading more confusion.

Slavery, in any form, is immoral. Nice try...

So why do we encourage it in politics?

BTW not impressed with the list. Especially as there is no evidence that Christians are wrong on most of them.

Slavery is immoral but there were rules in the Old Testament protecting slaves which modern day slaves didn't have and there were certain situations where you could be someone's slave to get out of debt which was voluntary and had nothing to do with being made a slave against your will.

Consider the justice system. We have people in jails who pay their debt to society by making license plates. Is that immoral? They are basically slaves. Is it wrong for criminals to make restitution for their crimes?

So. No. Without looking at my files, slavery was different in the Bible than it was practiced in the 17 and 1800's.

The skeptic’s criticism that the New Testament does not speak against the abolition of slavery is misguided for any number of reasons. First, an attempt to generalize and condemn all types of slavery fails to take into account prison, personal debt, indentured servanthood, and a host of other morally permissible situations. Bankruptcy laws, prison terms, community service hours, and garnished wages are morally acceptable modern equivalents to certain types of slavery that were prevalent during the time of the biblical writers. Second, Jesus and the New Testament writers always condemned the mistreatment of any human being, instructing their followers to be kind, loving, and compassionate, whether they were slaves or masters of slaves.

Apologetics Press - Defending the Bible?s Position on Slavery

This isn't from my files but it is more along the lines of what I was looking for and I actually reference this site once in a while.

While I have never believed that the purpose of the Civil War was to abolish slavery, it is difficult to deny the influence that Christian leaders had in advancing the arguments against slavery, both in the United States and abroad. Any Christian ministers in the American South who justified the practice were in the minority here, and a tiny minority in the Christian world. To say that "Christians" supported and justified slavery is a vacuous mis-statement of reality.

While I have never believed that the purpose of the Civil War was to abolish slavery, it is difficult to deny the influence that Christian leaders had in advancing the arguments against slavery, both in the United States and abroad. Any Christian ministers in the American South who justified the practice were in the minority here, and a tiny minority in the Christian world. To say that "Christians" supported and justified slavery is a vacuous mis-statement of reality.

Which is pretty much the point of the article.

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Exodus 21:1-36
“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ ...

Leviticus 19:20
“If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free;

Exodus 21:7-11 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who has designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights. And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out for nothing, without payment of money

You can beat them, rape them, sell them and their children

Sounds like slaves to me

Sounds like slaves to me

There is also a learning curve in trying to get older societies which had less rules to become less primitive and behave better. Or do you incarcerate them and forget they are there?

And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property.

In the first place, how could God allow a slave owner to beat his slave at all? To answer this question, we must remember who many of the Old Testament slaves were. They were members of the wicked, sinful nations who had been delivered into the hands of the Israelites because of their immorality. Suppose that a slave from one of those nations had made up his mind to do as much damage to his owner as possible. The slave had the option of running away to a gentler owner whenever he wished (Deuteronomy 23:15-16). However, suppose that he chose to stay and steal from the owner, or break the owner’s equipment intentionally, or destroy the owner’s crops. What could the owner do to stop such sabotage? Herb Vander Lugt put it like this:

Then, too, no matter how well the slaves were treated, some might have been rebellious and defiant. Forgetting that they were alive because they were taken as war captives instead of being executed, they might have blamed their master for their slave status. They might have shown their resentment by destroying property, abusing fellow slaves, or refusing to work. The master may have had no other way to bring his slave in line than to use physical punishment (1999, p. 17).

As appalling as it is to the sensitivities of most United States citizens, many countries still employ some type of beating or bodily harm to deter crime (some readers may recall the controversy over “caning” in Singapore in the early 1990s). When a modern-day prisoner violates rules while incarcerated, more stringent punishment (such as solitary confinement) often is required. If a slave deserved the death sentence, yet was allowed to live under certain conditions—and then did not comply with those conditions—would it be feasible to suggest that his death sentence could be reinstated? Even though it seems harsh to us, Exodus 21:20 does not militate against the justice of God.

Apologetics Press - Defending the Bible?s Position on Slavery

The Lord required all slaves to be released frequently. It was part of the law and the festivals.

Whether the law was followed is another story. Considering the wickedness that occured in Ancient Israel, my guess is the law wasnt followed as it should have been.

The Lord required all slaves to be released frequently. It was part of the law and the festivals.

Whether the law was followed is another story. Considering the wickedness that occured in Ancient Israel, my guess is the law wasnt followed as it should have been.

What would you do if the Philistines invaded your town? Lets say you have a million Philistines invade your town. What do you do with them? Can you afford to feed them all? Or do you make them work? Is releasing them an option if you knew they were threatening you? What would you do in an earlier age? Would slavery have been a better alternative than the other options or would you write their king a letter and ask them to play nice? I'm guessing if you wrote them a letter, they wouldn't follow it.

Slavery was very common during those times.

The Torah made it civil and humane.

For example, if you had one pillow you had to give it to the slave. There were numerous rules regarding treating slaves. They were more like indentured servants.

So why do we encourage it in politics?

In this country we had a Civil War to get rid of it.

And it hasn't been at all encouraged except in the twisted hyperbole of the conservative mantra.

If you folks don't like government, leave.

There are plenty of wilderness areas that you could live without that burden.

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

You did read what it says right? If he kills his slave with a rod, then that person is executed.

Exodus 21:1-36
“Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out alone. But if the slave plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ ...

There was slavery, however, as I stated the rules were a lot different based on judaism.

If you had one pillow you were supposed to give it to the slave.

Leviticus 19:20
“If a man lies sexually with a woman who is a slave, assigned to another man and not yet ransomed or given her freedom, a distinction shall be made. They shall not be put to death, because she was not free;

Exodus 21:7-11 “When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does not please her master, who has designated her for himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has broken faith with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to himself, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, or her marital rights. And if he does not do these three things for her, she shall go out for nothing, without payment of mone

Sounds like slaves to me

Reading comprehension isn't your thing obviously.

The following quotes are from a Myspace page which doesn't exist anymore to my knowledge so I can't give the link.

Slavery in the Bible was based on CRIME AND DEBT AND TRESPASS AND THEFT AND WAR CRIMES AND RESTITUTION. And punishment. (Just like prison systems today.) And on BOND-PAYMENT. NOT skin color.

Just like even a person who is in prison TODAY, for committing a crime, and is locked up, and bound to the State, and is, in effect, a "slave" to the state.

Don't kid yourself into thinking different.

Crime and punishment. and bond-debts.

Remember how prisoners used to make license plates. They had NO CHOICE in doing that. Today they're made to do other work, such as renovations, construction, and clean-ups after natural disasters such as hurricanes.

These things are NOT "options" for these prisoners. They're MADE to do these things.

Prisoners are in effect "slaves" to the STATE. Just because that term is not generally used for prisoners, don't fool yourself into thinking that that is not, in effect, what it is, and what's going on here. Freedom is restricted, and controlled, and they're ordered around, and told what to do and when to do it, with NO choice in the matter, and no real way out of it.

Prisoners are FORCED to make shoes. And items that will be sold in stores. For either slave dog wages or no wages at all. Did you know that? They have no choice. Do you weep for these prisoners? Armed robbers, drug dealers, rapists, and burglars?

CRIME AND DEBT, KIDS.... servitude to the Courts, Cops, and Government, and State. Who are we kidding ???? THAT'S SLAVERY !!!!! and it's warranted.

I have the whole article which goes on to say that this is what atheists want. They want restitution and it isn't called slavery today but that is what it was called back then.

I don't have a link because I couldn't find it the last time I looked. I looked again before hitting "save" or "submit".

Christians are wrong on contraception, and same sex marriage, and creation. Assuming they believe these things, of course.

Forum List

Back