16 Year Old Texas Teen Accepted Into 9 Law Schools

How many of you are proponents of homeschooling?

• I'm liberal and I'm not OK w/it

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'm liberal and I'm OK w/it

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I'm conservative and I'm not OK w/it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm conservative and I'm OK w/it

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I'm independent and I'm not OK w/it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm independent and I'm OK w/it

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Haley-Taylor-Schlitz-Article-201903141712.jpg

This 16-year-old was accepted at nine law schools

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

POSTED MARCH 18, 2019, 8:15 AM CDT

Haley Taylor Schlitz will graduate in May. Photo by Chelsea Mullin/Texas Woman’s University.

Haley Taylor Schlitz loves learning and likes standardized tests. She is looking forward to classes this fall at Southern Methodist University's Dedman School of Law.

Taylor Schlitz is only 16 years old, but she was in demand for a number of law schools, Texas Lawyer reports.

Though Texas Lawyer reports that five law schools offered her a place in their 1L class, she informed the ABA Journal that she was actually accepted to nine law schools in total.

----

Read more here: This 16-year-old was accepted at nine law schools

Now THAT'S how you do homeschooling!

If she were white you would be screaming white privilege. But let's be honest, if she were white we would never have heard about it. Am I for home schooling? I'm for anything that keeps the government out of my life.

Nobody is accepted to that many different law schools without lots of years of hard work by her and those that love her. She deserves it no matter what skin pigmentation she might have. She should make the entire country proud.

What an accomplishment. Kudos to her and her parents-

Taylor Schlitz’s parents took her out of public school in the fifth grade and began home schooling because they weren’t happy with the education, Schlitz tells Texas Lawyer.

“I was just being taught to pass the end-of-the-year test to get to the next grade,” she says. “I wasn’t being taught to learn.”

Nor was she allowed to take the test to enter the gifted program in public schools. Her parents had her privately tested and found she was gifted.

Taylor Schlitz graduated high school at the age of 13. She went to community college and then to Texas Woman’s University. She will graduate in May.

Taylor Schlitz’s parents took her out of public school in the fifth grade and began home schooling because they weren’t happy with the education, Schlitz tells Texas Lawyer.

“I was just being taught to pass the end-of-the-year test to get to the next grade,” she says. “I wasn’t being taught to learn.”

Nor was she allowed to take the test to enter the gifted program in public schools. Her parents had her privately tested and found she was gifted.

Taylor Schlitz graduated high school at the age of 13. She went to community college and then to Texas Woman’s University. She will graduate in May.

And home schooling worked out great for her, because her parents were intimately involved, and made sure she got a quality education. Unfortunately, most home schoolers don't receive that kind of attention. With little or no regulations in home schooling, parents aren't required to see that their kids are educated any where near what they should be, even if the often near illiterate parents were capable of understand the course work themselves.

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

Haley Taylor Schlitz will graduate in May. Photo by Chelsea Mullin/Texas Woman’s University.

Haley Taylor Schlitz loves learning and likes standardized tests. She is looking forward to classes this fall at Southern Methodist University's Dedman School of Law.

Taylor Schlitz is only 16 years old, but she was in demand for a number of law schools, Texas Lawyer reports.

Though Texas Lawyer reports that five law schools offered her a place in their 1L class, she informed the ABA Journal that she was actually accepted to nine law schools in total.

----

Must be nice to be the token black at 9 schools, so the schools can say they have diversity.

Thankfully we have affirmative action for lazy under achievers who haven't earned their way.

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

Must be nice to be the token black at 9 schools, so the schools can say they have diversity.

Thankfully we have affirmative action for lazy under achievers who haven't earned their way.

Thank you for posting. When people say right wingers aren't really so bad and that they just have different ideas about the direction we should go, I can always point to any of your posts to demonstrate just how vile and disgusting the right really is. Post often.

You don’t know that-
From a study, not by homeschoolers-

Here are some of Cogan's findings:

1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
Of course, the big knock on homeschool students is that they never develop social skills since their classrooms are often their kitchen tables and their mothers are often their teachers. Cogan, however, noted that another homeschool study that looked at more than 7,300 adults, who had been homeschooled, determined that the homeschool graduateswere more likely to have voted and participated in community service than other adults.
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College?

And home schooling worked out great for her, because her parents were intimately involved, and made sure she got a quality education. Unfortunately, most home schoolers don't receive that kind of attention. With little or no regulations in home schooling, parents aren't required to see that their kids are educated any where near what they should be, even if the often near illiterate parents were capable of understand the course work themselves.

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

She must have been a bright girl, I am happy for her and her family. But we all know they took advantage of the system, and she got in because she fills in all the fake and unfair diversity boxes of college admissions today.

Personally I am against homeschooling because it creates an emotionally unstable, incomplete adult. A child needs to interact with his or her peers as part of the natural process of maturing. This also happens to many athletes who's parents decided to home school them in order to focus on their athletic talents as potential college recruits or to go pro. They are some of the most mentally fucked up people I have met.

Bull. She earned it.

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

Congrats to her, but she is in the deep end now. Most law schools grade on curves where 10 points could separate an A from a C and you practically have to have a photographic memory to be the A.

Bull. She earned it.

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

Yeah? But how do you know? All of these universities have affirmative action policies, that promote black people over qualified others. So... how do you really know she earned it?

See this is the problem. She might have, and I fully support hard work. But since we have a race-based merit system, pushed by black people themselves... then I have to wonder... did she earn it? Or was there 20 others that had better marks, better skill, more talent, but were overlooked for someone who happened to have the right color of skin?

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

----

We're homeschoolers......

Democrats will destroy it if they can.

“Eric Holder: Banning Homeschooling Doesn’t Violate Fundamental Rights”
https://caffeinatedthoughts.com/2013/02/eric-holder-banning-homeschooling-doesnt-violate-fundamental-rights/

You don’t know that-

1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).
Of course, the big knock on homeschool students is that they never develop social skills since their classrooms are often their kitchen tables and their mothers are often their teachers. Cogan, however, noted that another homeschool study that looked at more than 7,300 adults, who had been homeschooled, determined that the homeschool graduateswere more likely to have voted and participated in community service than other adults.

Home school students who take the college rout often do quite well. Their parents are usually well educated themselves, and have at least a working knowledge of the class work, and are willing to either put as much time into class work as regular school teachers do, or will hire outside tutors to assure a good education for their children. Those parents make sure their kids always take the tests to verify that the child is getting a quality education. It's likely that those home schooled students would do well in public schools as well, because of their parents involvement in their education. Unfortunately, most home schooled students don't receive all that. With little or no regulation of what is taught in home schools, it's more likely that the student receives a sub par education from parents who weren't particularly well educated themselves. The average high test scores of home schooled children are not reduced by those that are not educated as well because the less educated home schoolers just don't bother take those tests.Public schools test everybody. I suspect if public schools only tested students whose parents were fully involved in their education, the scores would be the same as the home schoolers who actually do take those tests.

You suspect, because you don’t agree with homeschooling.
You don’t know that-

Home school students who take the college rout often do quite well. Their parents are usually well educated themselves, and have at least a working knowledge of the class work, and are willing to either put as much time into class work as regular school teachers do, or will hire outside tutors to assure a good education for their children. Those parents make sure their kids always take the tests to verify that the child is getting a quality education. It's likely that those home schooled students would do well in public schools as well, because of their parents involvement in their education. Unfortunately, most home schooled students don't receive all that. With little or no regulation of what is taught in home schools, it's more likely that the student receives a sub par education from parents who weren't particularly well educated themselves. The average high test scores of home schooled children are not reduced by those that are not educated as well because the less educated home schoolers just don't bother take those tests.Public schools test everybody. I suspect if public schools only tested students whose parents were fully involved in their education, the scores would be the same as the home schoolers who actually do take those tests.

You suspect, because you don’t agree with homeschooling.
You don’t know that-

I have direct knowledge of home schooling. It would be great if there was some way to make sure the kids actually got an education. I'm impressed with the girl in the video and her parents. The vast majority of home schooled kids don't receive anything near the quality education she received.

"In short, the results found in the new study are consistent with 25 years of research, which show that as a group homeschoolers consistently perform above average academically. The Progress Report also shows that, even as the numbers and diversity of homeschoolers have grown tremendously over the past 10 years, homeschoolers have actually increased the already sizeable gap in academic achievement between themselves and their public school counterparts-moving from about 30 percentile points higher in the Rudner study (1998) to 37 percentile points higher in the Progress Report (2009).

As mentioned earlier, the achievement gaps that are well-documented in public school between boys and girls, parents with lower incomes, and parents with lower levels of education are not found among homeschoolers. While it is not possible to draw a definitive conclusion, it does appear from all the existing research that homeschooling equalizes every student upwards. Homeschoolers are actually achieving every day what the public schools claim are their goals—to narrow achievement gaps and to educate each child to a high level.

Of course, an education movement which consistently shows that children can be educated to a standard significantly above the average public school student at a fraction of the cost—the average spent by participants in the Progress Report was about $500 per child per year as opposed to the public school average of nearly $10,000 per child per year—will inevitably draw attention from the K-12 public education industry."
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp

"In short, the results found in the new study are consistent with 25 years of research, which show that as a group homeschoolers consistently perform above average academically. The Progress Report also shows that, even as the numbers and diversity of homeschoolers have grown tremendously over the past 10 years, homeschoolers have actually increased the already sizeable gap in academic achievement between themselves and their public school counterparts-moving from about 30 percentile points higher in the Rudner study (1998) to 37 percentile points higher in the Progress Report (2009).

As mentioned earlier, the achievement gaps that are well-documented in public school between boys and girls, parents with lower incomes, and parents with lower levels of education are not found among homeschoolers. While it is not possible to draw a definitive conclusion, it does appear from all the existing research that homeschooling equalizes every student upwards. Homeschoolers are actually achieving every day what the public schools claim are their goals—to narrow achievement gaps and to educate each child to a high level.

Of course, an education movement which consistently shows that children can be educated to a standard significantly above the average public school student at a fraction of the cost—the average spent by participants in the Progress Report was about $500 per child per year as opposed to the public school average of nearly $10,000 per child per year—will inevitably draw attention from the K-12 public education industry."
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/200908100.asp

As a group, home schoolers who take the college rout are shown to score high on standard tests. As a group, most home schoolers don't even take those tests, so those results are meaningless.

Forum List

Back