1946 Marlin 39A .22 Lever Action

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I was in my local gun shop looking for some mags for a S&W pistol, found what I needed, and was getting ready to check-out when one of the counter guys asked me if I wanted a old Marlin 39A that was sorta rough.

I like a project so I said yes and he brought me out a 1946 39A and yeah it was a bit rough but appeared sound mechanically.

We made sure it fed/ejected OK, I checked the bore and it was GTG, and there were no stock cracks.....The agreed on price was $200.00. Fair enough for a rough 39A so I bought it.....LOL, they did not charge me for all the house paint on it.
;)

I got it home, stripped it down, cleaned it, and got the house paint off off the stock (that looks like it had be Tru-oiled at one time) and generally got it back up to snuff. The barrel had been D&Ted with what look like holes for Unertl scope blocks. I used plug screws in them.

Other than missing the covered wagon style front sight hood it was complete.

I might refinish it but no time soon.

39 004 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I was in my local gun shop looking for some mags for a S&W pistol, found what I needed, and was getting ready to check-out when one of the counter guys asked me if I wanted a old Marlin 39A that was sorta rough.

I like a project so I said yes and he brought me out a 1946 39A and yeah it was a bit rough but appeared sound mechanically.

We made sure it fed/ejected OK, I checked the bore and it was GTG, and there were no stock cracks.....The agreed on price was $200.00. Fair enough for a rough 39A so I bought it.....LOL, they did not charge me for all the house paint on it.
;)

I got it home, stripped it down, cleaned it, and got the house paint off off the stock (that looks like it had be Tru-oiled at one time) and generally got it back up to snuff. The barrel had been D&Ted with what look like holes for Unertl scope blocks. I used plug screws in them.

View attachment 980051
If I were gonna get a Cowboy Gun this would be a choice ( The post War was a golden era for Firearms )

;)

View attachment 980051
Beautiful. What caliber does it use? I'm too lazy to look it up, lol.

If I were gonna get a Cowboy Gun this would be a choice ( The post War was a golden era for Firearms )
This is the one for that:

model-1873-short-rifle-534200137-1.jpg

Those are good shooters. I have a couple of the older Model 1892's.

The scope blocks were most likely Lyman or Marbles.

This is the one for that:

View attachment 980077

I have one (full sized,made 1891) in .44-40. The old Colt M1878 revolver is about the same age.....The knife is from the same period (Brit-made) but I made a stag handle for it.

73 001 (2).JPG

Those are good shooters. I have a couple of the older Model 1892's.

The scope blocks were most likely Lyman or Marbles.
Difficult to say for sure but a set of Unertl blocks I have fit the hole pattern/thread pitch/depth.

LOL.....I looked up pics of the older 39A (before they D&Ted them for a scope) and there were all kinds of weird, make-do set-ups.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back