1970s Sports Memories

Skeptic1959

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2020
The world is in chaos but sports live on...always a nice distraction.

With that said, if you grew up in the 1970s what are some of your favorite sports memories from the years 1970-1979. One of my favorite memories comes from that final year of the decade, 1979 when I attended all three World Series games in Pittsburgh and the Buccos won Major League Baseball's title for the last time since 1979. They may never win another :(

'72 Unitas vs. Namath, especially if you were fans of both.

I also went with a neighbor to downtown Pittsburgh in 1971 to celebrate the Pirates World Series victory over Baltimore ironically enough the same team they beat when I went to the series in 1979.

With that said, if you grew up in the 1970s what are some of your favorite sports memories from the years 1970-1979. One of my favorite memories comes from that final year of the decade, 1979 when I attended all three World Series games in Pittsburgh and the Buccos won Major League Baseball's title for the last time since 1979. They may never win another :(
1976 sweep by the Reds over the Yankees in New York.

Never has a Yankees team been so dominated in a World Series. It literally was like watching men play boys.

Fans at game 4 were throwing a tantrum in New York as they trashed the field during the game.

Hilarious!

April 8, 1974.

A crowd of 53,775 stand witness to history in the 4th inning at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. Henry Aaron faced the Dodgers' Al Downing in the 4th inning, sending a fastball over the left field fence and into the Atlanta bullpen, breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home record.

I was 12 years old, laying on the living room floor in front of the television, and I remember it like it was yesterday...

Great memories folks! I remember watching "Hammerin Hank" hit that homer as well! Classic memory! When I was 12 I was listening on the radio the call of the "Immaculate Reception" because the game was blacked out in Pittsburgh due to a non-sellout.

Great memories folks! I remember watching "Hammerin Hank" hit that homer as well! Classic memory! When I was 12 I was listening on the radio the call of the "Immaculate Reception" because the game was blacked out in Pittsburgh due to a non-sellout.
Merry Christmas Pittsburg from Franco Harris.

man you are such a lucky dog.I envy you. I think for me the most fond memory was hearing about Pete Roses run for the record of Joe Dimaggio for the most hits in a season falling ten hits behind.

In that day and time,it wasa major news.If someone gave a run at Joes record now,it would be on the back page of a sports newspaper.Back then it was such major news that not only would it be on the front page of newspapers,you could go into a restaurant and back then,they would have a a tv set on the counter for people to watch and you would here them report the story.

That year at that time my family was on a camping trip and i remember passing through gas stations seeing the gas attendant having a tv set on and while passing through,here them report his latest hit off someone. The news media acted like we were on the moon for the first time.LOL

Rose said he always hated facing a pitcher for the first time,The night he ended up going hitless,thats what happened. I have to believe if he did not face a pitcher for the first time that night and for the rest of the games,he would have broke it.

He had to deal with what Joe never had to while playing that night.Rose said that on his final at bat,he was pitched to like it was the 9th inning of the world series. I understand wanting to get someone out but that is a little extreme acting like if you dont get a guy out in a regular season game no less,that its the end of the world as that pitcher was acting that night.:uhoh3:

Last edited:
I was 15 when Hank hit that homer to beat Babes record. And Secretariat The triple crown, the greatest animal athlete of all time.. Ali- Frazier. Bruce Jenner 1976 Olympics. Miami Dolphins the perfect season. It was a great time for a young boy to be alive.

Dave Parker in the 79 All Star Game.

NY Yankees 1977. I lived in the Bronx and my Dad and brothers would listen to the game on the porch and every once in a while hop into the car and drive to the Stadium. Best days!

Thanks everyone for contributing such great stories! LG325 said it perfect....great era to grow up in for sure. Radio was a much bigger media tool back then and I can still see myself in my driveway listening to Bob Prince call the Pirates game with the Cubs as Rennie Stennett went 7-for-7 to tie an all-time record and Dave Parker had 5 RBIs as the Bucs smashed the Cubs 22-0!

Thanks everyone for contributing such great stories! LG325 said it perfect....great era to grow up in for sure. Radio was a much bigger media tool back then and I can still see myself in my driveway listening to Bob Prince call the Pirates game with the Cubs as Rennie Stennett went 7-for-7 to tie an all-time record and Dave Parker had 5 RBIs as the Bucs smashed the Cubs 22-0!
This was at the time we can enjoy sports without the massive pay increases and huge TV contracts without Cable TV infecting it. Smaller market teams had a chance in Baseball. Teams in leagues that were ahead of the curve did better then those who did not. Truthfully, for the price to see a game today the consumer should have the right to see a great performance. There are many sports players who have spouted that they are entertainers. Well if we see a bad game can we demand our money back?

This was at the time we can enjoy sports without the massive pay increases and huge TV contracts without Cable TV infecting it. Smaller market teams had a chance in Baseball. Teams in leagues that were ahead of the curve did better then those who did not. Truthfully, for the price to see a game today the consumer should have the right to see a great performance. There are many sports players who have spouted that they are entertainers. Well if we see a bad game can we demand our money back?
yeah back then baseball meant something knowing every team had as much a chance to get to the world series as anyone else plus you did not have cable with all these games going all the time,you would have baseball games of the week shown on saturday and you would look forward to it.

yeah back then baseball meant something knowing every team had as much a chance to get to the world series as anyone else plus you did not have cable with all these games going all the time,you would have baseball games of the week shown on saturday and you would look forward to it.
There was more of a local flavor on UHF stations that showed a percentage of the games on TV and radio games was still big. I remember old timers on the porches listening to games on summer nights. Sometimes there would be a small black and white Tv on. If fortunate the picture would be more clear then snowy.

UHF? Funny! Remember the circular antennas? In Pittsburgh we had channel 53 on UHF and channel 22. Something this generation knows nothing about is when televisions went off at midnight! With the signing off symbol that came on the screen. How many remember that?

There was more of a local flavor on UHF stations that showed a percentage of the games on TV and radio games was still big. I remember old timers on the porches listening to games on summer nights. Sometimes there would be a small black and white Tv on. If fortunate the picture would be more clear then snowy.
Oh yeah those were the days.

Seventies meant epic heart ache in foot ball and great joy in baseball. Browns and buckeyes came so close with no titles while the reds racked them up. Browns and Buckeyes I watched in person and summer meant Marty and Joe on Reds radio. Music was awesome sports were awesome. I could still make money trapping. Loved Marty and Joe as well as Howard Cosell.

Forum List

Back