3.8 Earthquake Rocks New York State

This was very close to my home. The reported epicenter was near the Buffalo-West Seneca City Line and stretched all the way into Wyoming County. No damage reported thus far.

Having lived through Loma Preita, (6.9 on the Richter Scale), I would say you got off lucky. I know that how frightening it is to have the earth start to move under your feet and then the whole damn house starts to shake and stuff falls off the shelf.

I would advise that you check your gas line and outdoor electrical hookups. If you have a pet, check on them as well and see how they are doing after the quake. Animals like cats and dogs can have a violent reaction to such an event.

Do a walk around you house to see if there are cracks that were not there before. Also check the frames of your home's windows, as a quake can warp them. Also check your water pipes for cracks and possible breaks. Those can cost a lot money to be replaced. Check you ceiling as well. IF you smell gas, get the hell out. Unseen damage from an earthquake can cost you money later.

Finally, and by means the least important, check yourself as well. An earthquake can create a lot of anxiety. Take time for yourself and you family to recover.

Having lived through Loma Preita, (6.9 on the Richter Scale), I would say you got off lucky. I know that how frightening it is to have the earth start to move under your feet and then the whole damn house starts to shake and stuff falls off the shelf.

I would advise that you check your gas line and outdoor electrical hookups. If you have a pet, check on them as well and see how they are doing after the quake. Animals like cats and dogs can have a violent reaction to such an event.

Do a walk around you house to see if there are cracks that were not there before. Also check the frames of your home's windows, as a quake can warp them. Also check your water pipes for cracks and possible breaks. Those can cost a lot money to be replaced. Check you ceiling as well. IF you smell gas, get the hell out. Unseen damage from an earthquake can cost you money later.

Finally, and by means the least important, check yourself as well. An earthquake can create a lot of anxiety. Take time for yourself and you family to recover.

:lastword1:

Already done. The only thing that happened was the sump pump separated from the pipe. Easy fix.

This was very close to my home. The reported epicenter was near the Buffalo-West Seneca City Line and stretched all the way into Wyoming County. No damage reported thus far.

3.8, huh?

1675989009635.png

'We here in Turkey feel your pain after our own 7.8 earthquake. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.'

:cool:

(Just kidding. Glad everyone is ok / no damage.)

Already done. The only thing that happened was the sump pump separated from the pipe. Easy fix.

Good to know. After Loma Preita we were without power for something a week. Very little damage though. Gail and I were out on 35th. and Balboa, our flat was the meat in a sandwich. Our landlord lost a $1,000.00 Ma Jong set and several thousand dollars worth of China. The person below had to move out when her apartment flooded. No big loss, she threw loud parties that included Pot and swinging. A pure bimbo.

Forum List

Back