3 independent reports this week link harassment and mental health to RCMP operational effectiveness

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The latest RCMP Commissioner in a long line of Commissioners who allow abuses within their ranks and within the ranks of provincial and municipal police forces. The types of abuses the FBI would never allow. We clearly have the worst leadership in policing and a sheer lack of accountability of agencies who's sole objective is domestic cases. With many excessive abuses.

Former RCMP Commissioner Zaccardelli was involved in a pension Scandal and in sending bad intelligence to the FBI during the Maher Arar case, he was forced to resign. These cases cost the Canadian taxpayer tens of millions. Now there is a big $150M plus settlement on the way thanks to RCMP abuses you would expect to see in a frat house, plus more being put forth by other class action lawsuits from their own officers.

In short. The Canadian security apparatus from cities to province and federal level aren't trustworthy. The FBI have backed away from some joint investigations because they know there is no damned way some of these cases are legit. The British have called out our police agencies and spy agency for egregious abuses which impacted Britain. The differences in character of policing is vital when judging Canadian democracy, liberty (or lackthereof) and, it's trade abuses against American companies and workers.

Toxic culture, harassment issues overshadow RCMP commissioner's tenure

With just six weeks left on the clock before his retirement as Canada's top cop, the issue of workplace harassment is book-ending the tenure of RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson.

On Tuesday, Canada's auditor general issued the third report this week slamming the national police force for how it treats its employees.

"Ultimately, members' poor mental health affects the RCMP's capacity to serve and protect Canadians," wrote Michael Ferguson in his audit on mental health support for employees.

On Monday, the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission (CRCC) and former auditor general Sheila Fraser independently released reports that tied harassment to reduced effectiveness on the front lines. Both recommended the federal government legislate civilian governance and oversight of the RCMP.

As first reported by CBC News, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale repeated this week that he's "very open" to the idea and would bring it to cabinet for consideration.

"It will obviously take very careful reflection because that is a massive change in the way the institution has operated for over 100 years," he told reporters.

Yet Paulson remains unconvinced. In a scrum with journalists Monday evening, the commissioner said he had yet to see proof there's any connection between the force's harassment problem and its governance.

"It's the linkage between the harassment issue as it's understood today for example and the wholesale governance change of the force.... I'm having trouble making that jump," he said.

Minutes later, the commissioner mentioned, as he did in 2012, that he had been bullied and had also doled it out.

"I have been the victim of harassment and I've probably engaged in activity that people probably didn't appreciate," Paulson told reporters.

Hours later, Paulson doubled down on his skepticism of the CRCC report in particular, saying he felt its conclusions are out of date and "are not, in my view, reflective of current RCMP environment, policies or processes."

Goodale politely disagreed.

"I think there is a linkage. I would take a different view," he said Tuesday.

Legal matters

In a 2012 interview, Paulson told CBC News how he felt his appointment and first year on the job had been shadowed by the issue of harassment. It has been, in many ways, his constant companion. The force has been battered by allegations of sexual harassment, bullying and intimidation.

The federal government has bailed the force out of a class-action lawsuit filed by female RCMP employees. And earlier this year, an Ontario Superior Court awarded Sgt. Pete Merrifield $141,000 for "harassment and intentional infliction of mental suffering." The RCMP has appealed, which seems to have further annoyed Goodale.

"I have not had an opportunity to directly discuss this matter with Commissioner Paulson. What I do insist upon is the fairness and integrity of legal procedures. I am not permitted as minister to comment or interfere in those procedures but I would want to ensure complete fairness and integrity in the way legal matters are dealt with," Goodale told reporters Tuesday in the foyer of the House of Commons.

Forum List

Back