3rd & 4th bathrooms plumbed, rocked and mudded.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Was a good day! Plumbing looks a bit ugly but it all works. Never had a customer buy a commercial multivalve system for bathtubs before. What a pain!

So I'm curious if any journeymen plumbers have any opinions of me excluding water baffles/bangers or what ever the hell you guys call them. I see them on most jobs I demo but seldom replicate them.

20211004_134951.jpg
20211004_102140.jpg

3rd & 4th bathrooms plumbed, rocked and mudded.​

I only have a couple of comments:
  1. I would never use that plastic tubing shit for my plumbing in walls ever. All plastic fails eventually.
  2. How many Chipolte smoked briskets gave their lives to get you through all that plumbing? :smile:

I only have a couple of comments:
  1. I would never use that plastic tubing shit for my plumbing in walls ever. All plastic fails eventually.
  2. How many Chipolte smoked briskets gave their lives to get you through all that plumbing? :smile:
I've used it for over 20 years. Not a single call back.
And if you look up videos on it it surpasses copper in both freezing tests and joint corrosion.
A vastly superior product!

Oh, and no Chipotle today. That shit feels like a Thanksgiving dinner after eating it. No go for work days unless I am starving.

Are new houses plumbed with PEX?

Indeed, across the United States, California is the lone hold-out for adding PEX to its state plumbing code. Stroud estimates that 60% of single-family homes are currently plumbed with PEX, with the balance falling to copper and CPVC piping.

I've used it for over 20 years. Not a single call back.
And if you look up videos on it it surpasses copper in both freezing tests and joint corrosion.
A vastly superior product!

All plastic deteriorates as it loses active ingregients and dries. It may look good and be easier and cheaper but sooner or later, someday, that shit will fail, start splitting and cracking and some future homeowner will have leaks in his walls.

All plastic deteriorates as it loses active ingregients and dries. It may look good and be easier and cheaper but sooner or later, someday, that shit will fail, start splitting and cracking and some future homeowner will have leaks in his walls.
Just like how ALL copper joints fail thanks to the chemical additives we put in water....

Except pex will last longer

PEX is the worst. Snap together instant plumbing. I used that stuff once for a project and had leaks everywhere. Fortunately, it wasn't in anyone's walls.
That's because you didn't know what the fuck you were doing. I literally have used nothing but pex for over 20 years. Not a single call in 20 plus years about water spots on ceilings or anything else.

That's because you didn't know what the fuck you were doing.

Odd because I was a professional plumber at one time and have been doing plumbing since the 1970s. You couldn't pay me to use PEX in my house. PEX serves one purpose, its fast and saves time allowing the plumber to make a bigger profit.

Never had a copper line fail me yet.
Sure you have. Cut open a wall and look at the insane calcium deposits building up on the joints from leaks. One major settling episode in your house and boom.
On the flip side I've cut open floors and walls 20 or 30 years old with pex and there is nothing on the joints.

My guess is you're experience was with that older cpvc shit that most states banned.

Odd because I was a professional plumber at one time and have been doing plumbing since the 1970s. You couldn't pay me to use PEX in my house. PEX serves one purpose, its fast and saves time allowing the plumber to make a bigger profit.
Hey if your horse and buggy makes you happy have at it.

Over 60% of all new homes are now entirely plumbed with pex.

Over 60% of all new homes are now entirely plumbed with pex.

Yep, plastic is much cheaper than copper, and snap together plumbing saves time and money. BTW, my plumbing was put in in the 1950s. I can see tons of it in my basement. Not a sign of any deposits. What you are describing sounds like a pinhole porosity because the guy doing the job didn't know how to sweat a fitting properly.

Yep, plastic is much cheaper than copper, and snap together plumbing saves time and money. BTW, my plumbing was put in in the 1950s. I can see tons of it in my basement. Not a sign of any deposits. What you are describing sounds like a pinhole porosity because the guy doing the job didn't know how to sweat a fitting properly.
Perhaps but sweating isn't rocket science. Either way I dunno why people come into threads like this and just shit all over them. The only question I had was about air baffles.
I get that you old timers have the get off my lawn mentality when it comes to new materials and methods and I find that amusing.

You're like the old guys that still break their backs installing mudsets/lightweight concrete instead of just buying concrete board.
It's labor intensive. Costs 4 times as much.
Kills the body of anyone installing it.
Takes 5 times as long.

And for what? You get the same result with new methods. Arguably better. But like I said, keep your horse and buggy. Makes no difference to me

Perhaps but sweating isn't rocket science.
Neither is soldering, but people and companies solder connections all the time that look good but then come back to becoming resistive connections.

Either way I dunno why people come into threads like this and just shit all over them. The only question I had was about air baffles.
It's a plumbing thread and I made a comment about plumbing. If you see that as shit because I know more than most here about plumbing, then so be it.

I get that you old timers have the get off my lawn mentality when it comes to new materials and methods and I find that amusing.
No, I only say that about plastic because one of my best friends is a PhD scientist doing research in polymers (plastics) for the US Army and I happen to know that plastics AGE. I can find a piece of copper laying out on the ground that has been there unchanged in millions of years; take a piece of plastic and lay it out on the ground for TEN years and see what you find.

You're like the old guys that still break their backs installing mudsets/lightweight concrete instead of just buying concrete board.
You're like the defensive plumber who upon being faced with legitimate critiques for the convenience materials he uses has to resort to personal attacks as a deflection.

And for what? You get the same result with new methods.
Just ask yourself what a person building a 50 million dollar new home with no budget constraints uses. Hey, I never attacked you for using PEX or PVC Gramps, I just said I wouldn't use it myself. And about that newer type of PVC, they use it now because they found so many problems with the original PVC. By introducing chlorine gas to the PVC, it replaces some of the hydrogen atoms in the poly chains making the tubing more compliant and durable. It extends the service life of the tubing because older PVC was failing so much.

All the CPVC does is bring plastic tubing into the realm of reliability for long term use in plumbing. No such issue with copper.

Neither is soldering, but people and companies solder connections all the time that look good but then come back to becoming resistive connections.

It's a plumbing thread and I made a comment about plumbing. If you see that as shit because I know more than most here about plumbing, then so be it.

No, I only say that about plastic because one of my best friends is a PhD scientist doing research in polymers (plastics) for the US Army and I happen to know that plastics AGE. I can find a piece of copper laying out on the ground that has been there unchanged in millions of years; take a piece of plastic and lay it out on the ground for TEN years and see what you find.

You're like the defensive plumber who upon being faced with legitimate critiques for the convenience materials he uses has to resort to personal attacks as a deflection.

Just ask yourself what a person building a 50 million dollar new home with no budget constraints uses. Hey, I never attacked you for using PEX or PVC Gramps, I just said I wouldn't use it myself. And about that newer type of PVC, they use it now because they found so many problems with the original PVC. By introducing chlorine gas to the PVC, it replaces some of the hydrogen atoms in the poly chains making the tubing more compliant and durable. It extends the service life of the tubing because older PVC was failing so much.

All the CPVC does is bring plastic tubing into the realm of reliability for long term use in plumbing. No such issue with copper.
There is nothing legitimate in your "professional" critique. You have an opinion, nothing more

Forum List

Back