46 years ago.....

thereisnospoon

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2010
mid south
I tripped over this really cool newspaper archive website. It is for defunct newspapers only....
So I decided to take a trip down memory lane and on my way to the sports section( more about that in a minute, I stopped to read a story. I was just a child back then. I have no clue what was going on in the world except the Vietnam way and how the Mets were doing.
The significance of this particular date. The Mets clinched the NL Eastern Division title.
Anyway, here is this story.
A word....I am providing this as a means so that everyone can see how times have changed, How the language has changed. And to remind everyone is that as we evolve as a society change is inevitable. Some positive. Some negative....Hope this screen shot works.
upload_2015-9-9_16-40-14.png

I loooove reading old newspaper clips. Not just for the language but for the haps, what was going on at the time and what was considered normal or unusual. I have a book full of 'em from about 65 years ago. It's amazing how many people (men really) just keeled over in their 60s from heart attacks, far more than happens now --- for one thing.

So what's the website with these archives?

I had to disable AdBlock to get the image to show up but it did once I did that. Might wanna save these as a jpg for future use -- you can crop that border out.

I loooove reading old newspaper clips. Not just for the language but for the haps, what was going on at the time and what was considered normal or unusual. I have a book full of 'em from about 65 years ago. It's amazing how many people (men really) just keeled over in their 60s from heart attacks, far more than happens now --- for one thing.

I had to disable AdBlock to get the image to show up but it did once I did that. Might wanna save these as a jpg for future use -- you can crop that border out.
I am not all that computer savvy. I just took a screen shot and copied it into a word document......Didn't know how to convert it into jpeg...
Anyway, that link....
Google News Archive Search
Remember...These are defunct newspapers.

I am not all that computer savvy. I just took a screen shot and copied it into a word document......Didn't know how to convert it into jpeg...
Anyway, that link....
Google News Archive Search
Remember...These are defunct newspapers.

Actually it's easier than saving the screenshot. Just right-click on the image you've saved in the word doc and select "Save Graphics" -- choose a type easy to work with (like JPEG)... and then you can easily crop and/or enhance in a photo editor.

You'd get this, although I coulda made it bigger:

z.jpg

HTH.

Does it matter whether the newspapers are defunct? They'd be using the language and terms and values of the time regardless of whether they're still around or not.

Forum List

Back