Post office says what?

I’m not going to investigate this as have already tried to use their non functioning website.
I did get through on the phone to the local post office for 20901 in MD . I was told by a rude barely understandable woman that the individual mail persons decide if they choose to deliver in the heat. So ours has decided No three days in a row,
Is that really how it works?
Thanks
We get snow where I live from time to time in the winter and if it snows too much the mail will not come.

We get snow every winter--usually there is a couple feet on the ground but I've seen as much as six feet. Our mail carriers have never failed to deliver in my experience.
I'm OK if they don't come on bad weather days but then they need to be up front with that and change their motto. They really need to just sell the whole mess to private enterprise. Let someone else be on the losing end of the pyramid scheme.

We get snow every winter--usually there is a couple feet on the ground but I've seen as much as six feet. Our mail carriers have never failed to deliver in my experience.

And you live where people routinely drive in the snow and know what they are doing. You also live where there is the equipment to deal with the roads.

Down south, a little snow (usually ice) shuts everything down. And for good reason.

But they still get paid? If they are not going to perform the required tasks, there should be no pay. This is really poor timing in light of the fact that they just increased postal rates by a record amount this year. Do you think the pony express refused to complete their route because of weather? How about Snowshoe Thompson?
In 1855 Thompson saw an ad published in the Sacramento Union: People Lost to the World: Uncle Sam Needs Carrier. The Placerville postmaster needed someone to carry the overland mail 90 miles east, up and over the Sierra range to the Carson Valley, in the dead of winter. There weren't any takers until Thompson, whose father had made him "snow-shoes" to ski to school as a child in Norway, decided to answer the call to duty.
Wrong. If the heat is dangerous then too bad your mail misses a day. And yes pay them. Do you think workers should be forced out in dangerous conditions?

And you live where people routinely drive in the snow and know what they are doing. You also live where there is the equipment to deal with the roads.

Down south, a little snow (usually ice) shuts everything down. And for good reason.
Granted. The cold really doesn't seem to be the point of the OP although it is definitely relevant. The OP was complaining that it wasn't delivered because it was too hot. I grew up in the SW--Las Cruces, NM and Phoenix--we always got our mail. I lived in Corpus Christi in the 50s and we received two deliveries per day. As with everything--we are paying more for less.

Last edited:
iu

iu
iu

I do believe, it really is at their discretion. I have been putting off reporting my local guy to the central office.

IMO, I think that even if they thought he was not up to par, civil service protections will keep him around, w/o solid proof of wrong doing.

The apt. manager here, and I, both believe that he is snooping through out-going mail and stealing some of it. He might even be stealing some of the packages coming in.

The nation is going to pot IMO. It has to do with we, as individuals, and how we raise our children. We have less and less politicians and bureaucrats now, that are doing those jobs because they care about the nation of their fathers, and not in it to just get ahead. . . like the final days of the Roman Empire.

Folks need to have fortitude and integrity, or we, as a society, suffer collectively.
Until we elevated sub humans...

Retired at 62 there bud. No more godforsaken God awful pathetic rat race. To heck with that I served my sentence. Put my 3 kids through college. God bless.

Granted. The cold really doesn't seem to be the point of the OP although it is definitely relevant. The OP was complaining that it wasn't delivered because it was too hot. I grew up in the SW--Las Cruces, NM and Phoenix--we always got our mail. I lived in Corpus Christi in the 50s and we received two deliveries per day. As with everything--we are paying more for less.
in the 1950's, the mail volume in that time allowed that....

Forum List

Back