A clear reason why we need closed Primaries

Pay the winners out your parties money then.

You really can't see the difference between a primary run for a party vs. a general election?

You have ZERO right to vote in a primary. Hell some States don't even use primaries, they use Caucuses where you actually have to show up to decide who you want to run.

huh?
I have no idea what you are trying to say. I was simply saying primary voting is strictly for private corporations.
You, as an indy, have no reason to vote for either parties primary candidates.
Remember when the DNC got sued because the voters got screwed out of bernie in 2016? And the judge laughed his ass off saying it doesnt matter what the DNC does. Its their company. They can do what they want. Voting in primaries is a privilege those corporations give their supporters.

You really can't see the difference between a primary run for a party vs. a general election?

You have ZERO right to vote in a primary. Hell some States don't even use primaries, they use Caucuses where you actually have to show up to decide who you want to run.

And yet I do have the right to vote in any primary of my choosing.

One positive thing I see from the midterms is clear cut examples of why parties need closed primaries.

All the Extreme Republicans Boosted by Democrats in the Primaries Lost Their Midterm Races

And not "closed but you can switch your party registration the week before closed" but "closed by like 6 months closed".

Parties should be able to choose freely who they want running, not have a gamed candidate foisted on them by outsiders.
I agree. With open primaries it’s similar to people taking advantage of a loophole

huh?
I have no idea what you are trying to say. I was simply saying primary voting is strictly for private corporations.
You, as an indy, have no reason to vote for either parties primary candidates.

Maybe there is a candidate I really like. I shouldn't have to join a party to vote for them.

Remember when the DNC got sued because the voters got screwed out of bernie in 2016? And the judge laughed his ass off saying it doesnt matter what the DNC does. Its their company. They can do what they want. Voting in primaries is a privilege those corporations give their supporters.

Voting is a right, not a privilege.

Who do you think pays for their campaigns, both in the primary and the general election?

They don't get paid by the government until they win the general election.

Maybe there is a candidate I really like. I shouldn't have to join a party to vote for them.

Voting is a right, not a privilege.

Then you can still write them in if they lose in the primary.

In a general election it is, not in a primary. The government runs primaries for the major parties so it can observe the process, not as an actual election for a given government position.

Smaller parties can have a private primary or caucus and just tell the Board of Elections who won and who to put on the ballot.

Taxpayers pay for the elections.

And I should have a say how my taxes will be spent.

The government offers primaries because it wants to monitor them.

Do you think you get to fly an F-22 or Drive a M1A1 Abrams because your taxes paid for it?

Then you can still write them in if they lose in the primary.

Nope. Write in votes in WV don't count.

In a general election it is, not in a primary. The government runs primaries for the major parties so it can observe the process, not as an actual election for a given government position.

Smaller parties can have a private primary or caucus and just tell the Board of Elections who won and who to put on the ballot.

Do so then. As long as I am paying for the election, I get to vote.

I’m generally for “closed” primaries, though I’m strongly against our two party monopoly and allowing corporate and dark money control of elections — “Citizens United” has to go! Big money contributions to fringe candidates (by whoever) should be illegal.

In my opinion, closed primaries and general elections wherever possible should be run by ranked choice voting, so Third Party movements and moderate candidates have a real chance to cut through the b.s. polarization and demagogy of extremists, and radicals in each party have real options besides just trying to take over one of the two corrupt big money parties. This is also a way to encourage independents and quality candidates to emerge without being so dependent on running under the existing political brands.

Of course all this depends largely on “good government” initiatives and reforms in individual states — and that means hard work by reformers (in both parties) and independents to break away from demagogery and hyper-party-partisan policies. If half the energy that now flows into condemning “the other side” as “fascist” or “communist” were to flow into serious good government electoral reforms, we could have a far more democratic, less deadlocked, better functioning political system.

See: www.fairvote.org for examples of the kind of bipartisan electoral reforms needed.

Last edited:
No, I have that right. I can pick the primary ballot of any party I wish or no party at all.

No, you do not have that right. Show me where in any Constitution that you have a right to vote in Primary Elections.

Show me the law saying write in votes don't count in WV.

Write-in candidates who do not file the Certificate of Announcement will not have their name on the official list and votes will not be counted.

Forum List

Back