A Country in Limbo

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Who was for is now against, who was against is now for. This war that will most likely happen in Syria has exposed the conflicting nature of our politicians and select political aficionados on this board. It is peculiar, that Democrats who for the better of 8 years during the Bush Administration, protested and lamented while he sent us off to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan; would all of a sudden advocate the use of force against the Assad regime for allegedly using chemical weapons against his own people. What is equally and conversely peculiar, is how Republicans who led the charge in a patriotic fervor, off to destroy the terrorists Iraq and Afghanistan for perpetrating the massacre of 3,000 people on 9/11, would all of a sudden oppose any use of force against Syria.

It struck me odd, that John McCain, a staunch pro war progressive Republican, would first advocate the use of force but then oppose a Senate Resolution authorizing force. We have parties that campaigned against war are now advocating it, while the others who campaigned for war are now rejecting the possibility.

So there you have it, a country in limbo. Not a man alive in Washington can make up his mind. Here, in USMB, there exists those of that same stripe. Luckily for the rest of us, we as a whole have made up our minds. We will not support a war in Syria, because we are not like our country, in limbo.

Last edited:
Republicans still love war. They just hate Obama so bad that they are willing to disagree with him on anything. Just look at their sudden support of Russia.

The country’s not in ‘limbo,’ the country’s in ‘partisan.’

We see warmongering neo-cons and republican hawks falling all over themselves to beat their swords into plowshares, the same warmongering neo-cons and republican hawks who under the previous administration couldn’t want to start an illegal, unnecessary war with Iraq.

As for McCain, his opposition to the Senate resolution to authorize a limited strike against Syria is based on his perception that the action doesn’t go ‘far enough’ to support the “Free Syrian Army” and regime change. McCain is at least consistent in his warmongering, as opposed to his fellow hawks who have suddenly become peaceniks solely to undermine the president.

Politicians in Washington and USMB participants here are having no problem making up their minds, the problem is those decisions are being made for partisan, not factual, reasons.

Things are more complex there than has been suggested, there is not just one united opposition but many factions with differing agendas, some of which will ultimately prove to be hostile to the U.S.

Who was for is now against, who was against is now for. This war that will most likely happen in Syria has exposed the conflicting nature of our politicians and select political aficionados on this board. It is peculiar, that Democrats who for the better of 8 years during the Bush Administration, protested and lamented while he sent us off to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan; would all of a sudden advocate the use of force against the Assad regime for allegedly using chemical weapons against his own people. What is equally and conversely peculiar, is how Republicans who led the charge in a patriotic fervor, off to destroy the terrorists Iraq and Afghanistan for perpetrating the massacre of 3,000 people on 9/11, would all of a sudden oppose any use of force against Syria.

It struck me odd, that John McCain, a staunch pro war progressive Republican, would first advocate the use of force but then oppose a Senate Resolution authorizing force. We have parties that campaigned against war are now advocating it, while the others who campaigned for war are now rejecting the possibility.

So there you have it, a country in limbo. Not a man alive in Washington can make up his mind. Here, in USMB, there exists those of that same stripe. Luckily for the rest of us, we as a whole have made up our minds. We will not support a war in Syria, because we are not like our country, in limbo.

You're overthinking it.

The simpler one is that the GOP has become so emeshed in the crazy racist hate that has followed Obama's election that they will be against anything the President is for.

But the GOP will come around and support the war because the Zionists have just ordered them to.

"What is thy bidding, my master"....

I no more trust Obama's admin to get this right than I trusted Bush II's judgement OR MOTIVES.

I'm not entirely sure we even know who used poison gas.

I believe we are awash in pre-conflict propaganda and can depend on nobody to give us the true facts.

This is still another rich man's war, kiddies. (that's so commonly true that I really should not even bother to mention it..every modern war is a rich men's war but a poor men's fight)

You can send your kids to die in Syria if you believe in this crap but I sure as hell won't.

Last edited:
8 years ago the Republican nominee for President, Mccain, ran his campaign on basically what Obama is doing right now. Remember," bomb, bomb, bomb Iran". Now all of these "real americans" who voted for Mccain and caribou barbie have suddenly grown a conscience? I don't buy it. I am not for strikes on Syria but this conservative "dove" movement is BS.

Forum List

Back