A Golf Tale...only for those who golf

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I've been golfing for 25 years (started when I was 50), and I did something last week that I've never done before: I and my wife did a three-day golf "package" at a course I'd never played before. The course was Scottish Heights, in Brockport, PA. It is a very hilly course with a lot of relatively high elevations that had spectacular views - actually that was the best part of the experience. I can only imagine how spectacular it will be in the Fall.

In any event, I've never played the same course three days in a row. The package included "unlimited" golf, and we saw some groups of men who were doing 36 holes per day, but we just did 18 for our three days.

I had in my mind the semi-realistic thought that I might do better each day, as I got to know the "secrets" of the course - what to avoid, what to attack, and so on. The course has some unavoidable difficulties as all courses do. This course had what golfers sometimes refer to as "turtle-back" greens, where the center of the green is relatively elevated, and it falls off on all sides. So if you can't "stick" the ball when it lands, it will almost always roll off the back or a side. I had dozens of putts and shot chips from "just off" the green, in 3" grass. Also, there was a lot of elevation change, with fairways sloping steeply uphill and steeply downhill.

Parenthetically, the Geezer (gold) tees were often so far ahead of the Men's tees (white) that it was almost embarrassing to hit from them. There were several Par 4's that were only 200 yards or a little over that, but steeply uphill, which is no picnic.

In any event, to the extent that I took it seriously, I totally embarrassed myself, golf wise. My first nine holes (38) was by far my best nine holes of the week, and I found myself making the exact-same mistakes on holes, three days in a row!

For example, there was a relatively long Par 4 with a fairly sharp dogleg left. The dogleg was at about my max driver distance, but I have a "secret weapon" for such holes. If I tee the ball up a little further forward than normal, my ball tends to hook (draw) at the end. It was perfect for this hole. On day one, I teed it up forward, hit the ball perfectly straight and long, and into a conspicuous bush right at the dogleg and lost my ball. On day two, I assumed that I had not executed that shot properly (for me) and did it again. Lost my ball in the same bush. On day three, totally convinced that I could hit that shot but had fcuked it up previously, I did it again...and lost my ball AGAIN in the same bush!

Golf is a humbling game. There was literally no part of my game that improved over those three days. I have difficulty on uphill lies, and I never figured out that magic formula despite hitting probably 30 irons from uphill lies...none of them actually good shots. And I confirmed yet again that I am one of those golfers who allows frustration to carry forward from one shot to the next - not a good trait for a golfer.

FWIW, the cost was $250 per person, all inclusive. The only things we paid for were alcoholic drinks and desserts at dinner.

I've been golfing for 25 years (started when I was 50), and I did something last week that I've never done before: I and my wife did a three-day golf "package" at a course I'd never played before. The course was Scottish Heights, in Brockport, PA. It is a very hilly course with a lot of relatively high elevations that had spectacular views - actually that was the best part of the experience. I can only imagine how spectacular it will be in the Fall.

In any event, I've never played the same course three days in a row. The package included "unlimited" golf, and we saw some groups of men who were doing 36 holes per day, but we just did 18 for our three days.

I had in my mind the semi-realistic thought that I might do better each day, as I got to know the "secrets" of the course - what to avoid, what to attack, and so on. The course has some unavoidable difficulties as all courses do. This course had what golfers sometimes refer to as "turtle-back" greens, where the center of the green is relatively elevated, and it falls off on all sides. So if you can't "stick" the ball when it lands, it will almost always roll off the back or a side. I had dozens of putts and shot chips from "just off" the green, in 3" grass. Also, there was a lot of elevation change, with fairways sloping steeply uphill and steeply downhill.

Parenthetically, the Geezer (gold) tees were often so far ahead of the Men's tees (white) that it was almost embarrassing to hit from them. There were several Par 4's that were only 200 yards or a little over that, but steeply uphill, which is no picnic.

In any event, to the extent that I took it seriously, I totally embarrassed myself, golf wise. My first nine holes (38) was by far my best nine holes of the week, and I found myself making the exact-same mistakes on holes, three days in a row!

For example, there was a relatively long Par 4 with a fairly sharp dogleg left. The dogleg was at about my max driver distance, but I have a "secret weapon" for such holes. If I tee the ball up a little further forward than normal, my ball tends to hook (draw) at the end. It was perfect for this hole. On day one, I teed it up forward, hit the ball perfectly straight and long, and into a conspicuous bush right at the dogleg and lost my ball. On day two, I assumed that I had not executed that shot properly (for me) and did it again. Lost my ball in the same bush. On day three, totally convinced that I could hit that shot but had fcuked it up previously, I did it again...and lost my ball AGAIN in the same bush!

Golf is a humbling game. There was literally no part of my game that improved over those three days. I have difficulty on uphill lies, and I never figured out that magic formula despite hitting probably 30 irons from uphill lies...none of them actually good shots. And I confirmed yet again that I am one of those golfers who allows frustration to carry forward from one shot to the next - not a good trait for a golfer.

FWIW, the cost was $250 per person, all inclusive. The only things we paid for were alcoholic drinks and desserts at dinner.
That's a pretty good price but, like you said, it was a pretty short course. I'd rather have a longer course that you could hold the green and not be forced to chip out of that 3-inch stuff. As for that nasty bush, I was going to say I knew a girl in HS that a number of my friends similarly lost balls in her bush, but I reconsidered. But who knows, someone that had an experience like you might sneak out on that course one night with a chainsaw.

1727103295970.png

Golf is probably the hardest sport to pick up late in life. What I have seen high handicappers do regardless of the course is consistently "overclub" themselves going into the green. On most courses you are better off taking an iron that will get you to the front of the green. Usually the trouble is on the sides or over the green.

Thanks for sharing, and that is a great price.

Good for you for getting out there and battling. It is a humbling game, for sure, but one of the most rewarding endeavors on the planet. I can shoot 73, 83 in back to back rounds and learned over many years - "that's just golf!" The reason they call if golf? Because they couldn't call it "mother fucker". :laughing0301:

On the uphill and downhill lies, try to keep your shoulders and hips parallel to the terrain. Understandably, much easier said than done. I still look at a sidehill lie (ball below the feet, not above) and get the vapors. Anything more about 3" below my feet and I'm toast. Hit 'em straight(er)....

On the uphill and downhill lies, try to keep your shoulders and hips parallel to the terrain. Understandably, much easier said than done. I still look at a sidehill lie (ball below the feet, not above) and get the vapors. Anything more about 3" below my feet and I'm toast. Hit 'em straight(er)....
The "fade lie", that I manage to yank left nearly very time.

The game is addictive and that's why I'm glad I never took it up. I caddied as a kid (Sleepy Hollow Golf Course) in NY as a kid and that was enough for me.

My single biggest problem in golf is striking irons properly. I have never been able to force myself to hit down into the ball, taking out a divot. I try to sweep the ball off the surface, which requires pinpoint accuracy as far as the elevation of the club at impact, And this shortcoming is magnified on sloped fairways.

I understand that you are supposed to make your shoulders parallel to the turf, but it ain't easy.

Forum List

Back