Zone1 A good friend of mine just had brain surgery.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
He was diagnosed with a brain tumor growing in his brain stem a few months ago. It was affecting his walking and his vision so he underwent surgery a couple of days ago. It was an 8 hour operation but it was successful and they got almost all of it. I haven't been able to talk to him yet as he is still in the hospital recuperating, but he is doing ok. The sad thing is he texted "it is what it is, I'm not the same guy". He hasn't lost his sense of humor tho as he also texted "lucky me I got Nurse Ratched for rehab". I'm hoping he can regain most of his functions. He was an insane biker who would go on 400 mile multi-day trips. Most likely his biking days are done, I just hope he will be able to walk and talk.
Just be thankful for every day.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumor growing in his brain stem a few months ago. It was affecting his walking and his vision so he underwent surgery a couple of days ago. It was an 8 hour operation but it was successful and they got almost all of it. I haven't been able to talk to him yet as he is still in the hospital recuperating, but he is doing ok. The sad thing is he texted "it is what it is, I'm not the same guy". He hasn't lost his sense of humor tho as he also texted "lucky me I got Nurse Ratched for rehab". I'm hoping he can regain most of his functions. He was an insane biker who would go on 400 mile multi-day trips. Most likely his biking days are done, I just hope he will be able to walk and talk.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Bear in mind, him telling you "I'm not the same guy" might mean he won't be the guy you remember. And that's no fault of his. I have a couple of stories but the one that sticks out in my mind was the husband (over 30 years) of a friend that had a tumor removed, and he wasn't the same man (personality, mannerisms, likes/dislikes, tolerances) he was before he went under the knife. I'm not a doctor or a brain surgeon. But I know, it can change a person. And it might be very difficult for everyone that is close to them...even if you've known that person for years.

I hope your friend recovers enough physically and mentally to live a full, healthy life.

Wow. Rough. Sorry to hear it. Sounds like his sense of humor is still intact. I hope your friend makes a full recovery and surprises you.

Here's wish a speedy and full recovery.

Hopefully he has a sense of humor.
46rayj.jpg

• Banned
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Bear in mind, him telling you "I'm not the same guy" might mean he won't be the guy you remember. And that's no fault of his. I have a couple of stories but the one that sticks out in my mind was the husband (over 30 years) of a friend that had a tumor removed, and he wasn't the same man (personality, mannerisms, likes/dislikes, tolerances) he was before he went under the knife. I'm not a doctor or a brain surgeon. But I know, it can change a person. And it might be very difficult for everyone that is close to them...even if you've known that person for years.

I hope your friend recovers enough physically and mentally to live a full, healthy life.
I appreciate you sharing that, I'm not sure how things will go for my friend. This type of tumor is quite rare as it was partially embedded in the brain stem.

Forum List

Back