🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

A New American Saint?

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
The use of the word "televangelist" is, in the context below, correct but the inference is onerous.

Sainthood closer for U.S. Archbishop Sheen, an early televangelist - Firstpost

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen WAS on television - on the old Dumont Network back in the 1950s. It was his program, "Life Is Worth Living" that beat down Milton Berle's long-running comedy/variety show.

CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. Catholic Archbishop Fulton Sheen, one of the world's first televangelists, has moved closer to sainthood after a team of theologians agreed a reported miracle should be attributed to his intercession, church officials said on Wednesday.

The miracle attributed to Sheen involved a baby born in September 2010, according to a statement from the Diocese of Peoria, Illinois, where Sheen once served as a priest.

The baby boy showed no signs of life for an hour after birth as medical professionals tried to revive him, the diocese said. The child's family sought Sheen's intercession, and the baby was restored to life, the statement said.

My family - all non-Catholics - started watching Sheen when I was a pre-teen and enjoyed his folksy way. I recall him getting off a lot of really good jokes in his talks about how to make the best of life.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in about 1967 when both he and I were in search of our lost bags at Shannon Airport in Ireland. He was much older than when I had seen him on TV and I didn't recognize him. We had a nice time-killing conversation about a variety of things and places but I didn't know who I was talking with until we were paged for our now-recovered bags. Then we paused and introduced ourselves. As we shook hands he just said, Sheen. Fulton Sheen.

Recently I found some of his kinescoped programs on a retro cable network. May God bless them for re-running them.

Forum List

Back