A New "Fast Food" Charity

KevinWestern

Hello
Mar 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
Panera Bread has created a sort of charity restaurant near my home in Chicago. The concept is that customers order as normal (it's a full-scale Panera restaurant) and when it's time to pay they are given a "suggested donation" amount which is essentially the retail cost of the meal.

Wealthier customers who can spare a bit more often round up or tack on an additional $1/$2 for the meal, while less fortunate customers have the option of paying less than the retail price (or in some cases) nothing at all.

What do you guys think of the concept?

I like it, personally.

Panera Cares Pay-What-You-Can Cafe Opens In Lakeview: Chicagoist

There is little to no risk, and as usual people overstate what they are doing.
This is in Lakeview near Lincoln Park in upper Chicago, a very well to do area.
When they build one on the south side, say southern Calumet - then I will believe they are "charitable".
All of the elitist liberal assholes who live in the area love this kind of thing...makes them feel good.
But again, Panera wouldn't dream of building one where it would actually be needed.

Last edited:
When they build one on the south side, say southern Calumet - then I will believe they are "charitable".
All of the elitist liberal assholes who live in the area love this kind of thing...makes them feel good.
But again, Panera wouldn't dream of building one where it would actually be needed.

Well, no need to get all cynical and negative here.

You mention building in the south side, but the fact of the matter is that something like this wouldn't work in a poor neighborhood; there wouldn't be enough customers donating above and beyond to support the cause. It's in the Lincoln Park area for a very specific and practical reason.

Don't think it warrants your disrespectful comment about "elitist liberal assholes"; I think it's an interesting experiment that Panera certainly didn't have to do.

Maybe try thinking a bit more positively...

Sounds more like a publicity stunt 'feel good' piece of crap that could never truly survive on its own... this will be paid for by what is made in the other Panera restaurants..

This may only feed a small portion of low-income people, and is probably not-sustainable in many areas, but the fact of the matter is that it has feed a portion of people. Is this upsetting to you, lol? Rather them just make all of their restaurants for-profit and not try anything new?

If this is a publicity stunt, it's a poor one as I've only seen a handful of local websites covering it.

Last edited:
Sounds more like a publicity stunt 'feel good' piece of crap that could never truly survive on its own... this will be paid for by what is made in the other Panera restaurants..

This may only feed a small portion of low-income people, and is probably not-sustainable in many areas, but the fact of the matter is that it has feed a portion of people. Is this upsetting to you, lol? Rather them just make all of their restaurants for-profit and not try anything new?

If this is a publicity stunt, it's a poor one as I've only seen a handful of local websites covering it.

Then you didn't open your newspaper, or watch the news.
Again, don't know if you know the area, I invite you to check it out. This is one of the better areas in the whole city and plenty of tourist in the area as well. They won't be feeding any poor there because it would cost more for a Taxi or riding the L to get there from where they live than the food would cost.

Good idea and to encourage this to spread, ask at the Panera where you are if they will be participating. Tell other restaurants that you heard what Panera is doing and ask that they do the same.

We waste an astounding amount of food. Why not do what we can to get it to the people who need it the most?

Alternatively, I guess you could just sit in front of your computer and whine about the efforts of others.

Then you didn't open your newspaper, or watch the news.
Again, don't know if you know the area, I invite you to check it out. This is one of the better areas in the whole city and plenty of tourist in the area as well. They won't be feeding any poor there because it would cost more for a Taxi or riding the L to get there from where they live than the food would cost.

I have lived within 2 blocks of this restaurant for 4 years, I'm quite familiar with the area. I've even eaten AT the restaurant maybe about 30 times over that span.

I ride by it with my bike just about every weekday when I head to work and believe me, there is always an abundance of (what appears to be) lower income folks eating there from the morning time until the evening. Yes, Lakeview/Lincoln Park is a nice area, but folks from all walks of life seem to make it there successfully without issue.

You shouldn't jump to so many conclusions about a place that you've never been to, lol.

And again, this restaurant is put in this area for a reason, as it wouldn't be sustainable in a poor area. It needs to be in a wealthier section of town.

Last edited:

No.. what is upsetting is that sheeple fall for these publicity stunts and read into them like it is something to learn from

Good idea and to encourage this to spread, ask at the Panera where you are if they will be participating. Tell other restaurants that you heard what Panera is doing and ask that they do the same.

We waste an astounding amount of food. Why not do what we can to get it to the people who need it the most?

Alternatively, I guess you could just sit in front of your computer and whine about the efforts of others.

I like this concept for a few reasons. First is they reuse more of the "day old" breads, etc than the other Paneras do because they get a bit of leeway when it comes to food freshness standards etc (given it's a non-for-profit location). Less waste.

Secondly, I always found it interesting this idea of "fluid prices" where people can sort of pay what they like for goods and services. Richer people pay more as a sort of a "self-initiated tax" in order to support those with less in the community. It's a nice bureaucracy free way to the alternative where the gov't takes your money and maybe gives back ten cents on the dollar to poor folks after all is said and done.

Third, it's a nice step in a good direction. Not going to solve the world, and not even totally sustainable.

But far better than doing absolutely nothing.

No.. what is upsetting is that sheeple fall for these publicity stunts and read into them like it is something to learn from

Not sure where your getting at.

Living in the area, and passing by the restaurant every day, I'd estimate at least 100+ homeless/low income people get a free/reduced meal due to the "publicity stunt" every week. That number might even be higher. It's an example of a corporation actually opting for less profits in an effort to help out a few people in need.

I mean, is that upsetting, lol? Seems pretty benevolent to me.

Last edited:
I like the idea. Even if it is a promotional maneuver, if people in need are being helped, who cares?

I like the idea. Even if it is a promotional maneuver, if people in need are being helped, who cares?

That's generally my take on the whole thing. Was going to say I was shocked to see some people were disturbed by the concept, but to be honest...

Not really.

Not sure where your getting at.

Living in the area, and passing by the restaurant every day, I'd estimate at least 100+ homeless/low income people get a free/reduced meal due to the "publicity stunt" every week. That number might even be higher. It's an example of a corporation actually opting for less profits in an effort to help out a few people in need.

I mean, is that upsetting, lol? Seems pretty benevolent to me.

And the publicity for standard charity donations is WHERE??

This is not an example of opting for less profits.. that is the IMAGE they wish to portray... and like most people, you are fooled by it hook, line, and sinker.. this is marketing, plain and simple

This is not an example of opting for less profits.. that is the IMAGE they wish to portray... and like most people, you are fooled by it hook, line, and sinker.. this is marketing, plain and simple

They are feeding hundreds of homeless/low-income people every month who may otherwise not be eating. Sure, a portion of it might be marketing, but at the end of the day they are feeding people for less than the cost of the food and they certainly don't have to do this.

Is it possible to create a win-win where both the company gets a boost to brand image AND some homeless people get fed?

What would Panera have to do to earn your respect? Go back to not helping out a few homeless folks?

Last edited:
Panera Bread has created a sort of charity restaurant near my home in Chicago. The concept is that customers order as normal (it's a full-scale Panera restaurant) and when it's time to pay they are given a "suggested donation" amount which is essentially the retail cost of the meal.

Wealthier customers who can spare a bit more often round up or tack on an additional $1/$2 for the meal, while less fortunate customers have the option of paying less than the retail price (or in some cases) nothing at all.

What do you guys think of the concept?

I like it, personally.

Panera Cares Pay-What-You-Can Cafe Opens In Lakeview: Chicagoist

If they do this at every restaurant they will be out of business in 6 months. The Obama phone people will eat them out of house and home and walk out without so much as a Thank you.

Panera's business model is distinctively not serving LCD garbage to the poor and calling it "food". Image is part of business model. If they started feeding the perception above, they'd lose credibility on that business model, which is very successful as I know from investing in it.

Some wags whine when government forces charity, then they whine when a business does it voluntarily. Ya can't win.
Some people, you can hand them a million bucks and they'll complain about the color of the money.

They are feeding hundreds of homeless/low-income people every month who may otherwise not be eating. Sure, a portion of it might be marketing, but at the end of the day they are feeding people for less than the cost of the food and they certainly don't have to do this.

Is it possible to create a win-win where both the company gets a boost to brand image AND some homeless people get fed?

What would Panera have to do to earn your respect? Go back to not helping out a few homeless folks?

If it were benevolent.. there would not be a report or marketing on it... it would just be done.. this is indeed a marketing ploy... and it was done in an area where things still look good.. where pics show the image THEY want seen.. as stated by someone else, this was not done in the area where it would have done the most 'good'... for the charitable rich would have driven to a more downtrodden area, but the poor are not going to go out of their way, spending more on getting there, to get a reduced or free meal...

Panera is not looking for my respect with this.. they are looking for my dollars... they are appealing to my demographic.. well to do professional with extra income (hence why there are 2 within 10 minutes of my office)... while I might go there to fill a craving for broccoli cheese soup and a half a salad, I am not going to go for this publicity stunt... I would sooner give to a food drive or soup kitchen that makes much more of a difference

And yes, it is marketed.. http://paneracares.org/what-we-do/

Last edited:
If they do this at every restaurant they will be out of business in 6 months. The Obama phone people will eat them out of house and home and walk out without so much as a Thank you.

Obviously they can use this model in every store. That's not the point.

Not the point?

Ever been to Black Friday at Walmart? Try it sometime and see what these people are really like. They offer a TV for half price and people are beating the shit out of each other for a TV.

As usual the same class of people will fight over a TV will abuse a free program to help the needy.

Forum List

Back