A 'secular' approach to Suffering

amrchaos

Pentheus torn apart
Nov 1, 2008
Miami
Hi all! Just one of those so-called 'God-hating' atheist touching upon a topic that many religions have tried to resolved. So far, I think they failed miserably, but that really is an opinion, isn't it?

Today, I like to address the issue of suffering: What causes suffering. Why suffering exist. And is suffering 'resolvable". Now this is considered A big issue amongst us mortals since, well, suffering effects the quality of our lives. Too much suffering and we begin to question our existence. Too little and we can become a bit unsympathetic to the flights our fellow man. The approach I take may seem commonsensical to many of you. Still, I decided to write this up for mainly a simple discussion to see if there are any disagreement to this type of approach.

The way I present this approach(which is not unique nor express the opinions of other "non-spiritualist") Is in the form of outline.

I. What is Suffering?
A. Suffering is discomfort that effects at least one of the two aspects of humans
1. Mental --this involves all discomforts dealing with the mind
a. Emotional suffering is a form of Mental suffering.
b. "Spiritual suffering" is a bit ambiguous due to lack of definition of "spirit". It can be treated as conceptual and therefore falls under Mental Suffering.

2. Physical suffering--this involves all discomforts related to the physical body
3. Hybrid-- A mixture of both Mental and Physical suffering

B. Suffering can only be claimed by the individual that experience it.
Just because something to be "discomforting" to you may not be a discomfort to the person in question

II. What Causes Suffering?
A. The actions of the individual in question
B. The actions of others
C. Natural Phenomena
D. Hybrid--a mixture of the above 3

(an aside--Why do "good men" suffer? is answerable using the above. Remember, "Good Men" are humans as well, and therefore subject to the same reality that the rest of us are. There is no special allotment for the "good". The sooner one comes to realize this, the more rational his approach to life becomes.)

III. Some Types of Suffering
A. Purposeful suffering
1. Suffering as a warning
2. Suffering due to change
3. Suffering due to past actions or events

B. Non-purposeful Suffering
1.Suffering that exist without noted purpose.

C. Resolvable Suffering-- Suffering that can end by the actions humans and/or events

D. Irresolvable Suffering--Any Suffering that are not currently of the Resolvable type

IV Conclusion--Advice on dealing with suffering
A. Analyze the type of suffering you are experiencing
B. Classify them by cause and type
C. Resolve the Resolvable forms of Suffering
D. Look at ways to change the Irresolvable Suffering to Resolvable Suffering

In short, if someone is suffering, he/she should not just resign themselves to fate or the actions of others. They should focus on ways to resolve issues in a coherent and efficient manner. Those who refused to do so are being irrational and may deserve to suffer.

Hi all! Just one of those so-called 'God-hating' atheist touching upon a topic that many religions have tried to resolved. So far, I think they failed miserably, but that really is an opinion, isn't it?

Today, I like to address the issue of suffering: What causes suffering. Why suffering exist. And is suffering 'resolvable". Now this is considered A big issue amongst us mortals since, well, suffering effects the quality of our lives. Too much suffering and we begin to question our existence. Too little and we can become a bit unsympathetic to the flights our fellow man. The approach I take may seem commonsensical to many of you. Still, I decided to write this up for mainly a simple discussion to see if there are any disagreement to this type of approach.

The way I present this approach(which is not unique nor express the opinions of other "non-spiritualist") Is in the form of outline.

I. What is Suffering?
A. Suffering is discomfort that effects at least one of the two aspects of humans
b. "Spiritual suffering" is a bit ambiguous due to lack of definition of "spirit". It can be treated as conceptual and therefore falls under Mental Suffering.

2. Physical suffering--this involves all discomforts related to the physical body

Just because something to be "discomforting" to you may not be a discomfort to the person in question

B. The actions of others
C. Natural Phenomena

(an aside--Why do "good men" suffer? is answerable using the above. Remember, "Good Men" are humans as well, and therefore subject to the same reality that the rest of us are. There is no special allotment for the "good". The sooner one comes to realize this, the more rational his approach to life becomes.)

A. Purposeful suffering

C. Resolvable Suffering-- Suffering that can end by the actions humans and/or events

D. Irresolvable Suffering--Any Suffering that are not currently of the Resolvable type

In short, if someone is suffering, he/she should not just resign themselves to fate or the actions of others. They should focus on ways to resolve issues in a coherent and efficient manner. Those who refused to do so are being irrational and may deserve to suffer.

I don't disagree with what you are saying per se. However, I think you need to check your conclusion against that first quote of yours in your signature line.

I. What is Suffering?

B. The actions of others
C. Natural Phenomena

A. Purposeful suffering

What is suffering?

Reading threads like this. :badgrin:

^ first step ... there in lies the reason for all the rest.

No. It isn't. The vast majority of people are religious and they experience suffering just as much as those that are not. They have just as much trouble dealing with it.

No. It isn't. The vast majority of people are religious and they experience suffering just as much as those that are not. They have just as much trouble dealing with it.

Prat: The vast majority of people are religious ... they experience suffering just as much as those that are not.

how shocking, is there a reason why ? - why there is religion and they experience suffering or they experience suffering and then there is religion ...

at any rate is an aspirin religious or secular ?

There's the secular attitude. What if you were to "focus" on your suffering and still could not alleviate it? Should we just say screw you?

Do you believe that people that are suffering don't focus on it?

Fatalism can be a major problem in religion simply because no decision is made to control that which is controllable.

Prat: The vast majority of people are religious ... they experience suffering just as much as those that are not.

how shocking, is there a reason why ? - why there is religion and they experience suffering or they experience suffering and then there is religion ...

at any rate is an aspirin religious or secular ?

Religion is only another manifestation of human behavior. IMO, its primary purpose is social stability. It is another form of government. Suffering is an individual experience. While an individual may well use participation in religion as a way of dealing with suffering, the two are not connected.

Forum List

Back