A Very Special Message to Chance the Rapper

SYTFE

Gold Member
Jun 25, 2016
Trolling/No Content
"Let me tell you something right now and you can print this in stone and don’t you ever forget it, any — ANY performer who sells a product on television is for now and all eternity removed from the artistic world. I don’t care if you shit Mona Lisa’s out of your ass on cue, you’ve made your fucking choice."

- Bill Hicks

"Let me tell you something right now and you can print this in stone and don’t you ever forget it, any — ANY performer who sells a product on television is for now and all eternity removed from the artistic world. I don’t care if you shit Mona Lisa’s out of your ass on cue, you’ve made your fucking choice."

- Bill Hicks

Should be "etch it in stone"...........

• Banned
Isn't the idea to market your talents for an income?

Sure, your own products. But, the moment you allow a corporation to exploit your natural artistic talents for the sole purpose of selling their own products, you're no longer an artist, you're a pitch man. You become a whore, trading your artistic abilities in exchange for money.

Sure, your own products. But, the moment you use your natural artistic talents for the sole purpose of selling another corporations products, you're no longer an artist, you're a pitch man. You become a whore, trading your artistic abilities in exchange for money.
Yeah, i'd like to earn some of that sellout dough as a pitchman..It spends like any other cash..

• Banned

Sure, your own products. But, the moment you use your natural artistic talents for the sole purpose of selling another corporations products, you're no longer an artist, you're a pitch man. You become a whore, trading your artistic abilities in exchange for money.
Yeah, i'd like to earn some of that sellout dough as a pitchman..It spends like any other cash..

Depends on what's most important to you as an artist. Is your art worth that little bit of your soul that you give up by whoring yourself out to Kit Kat? To Chance the Rapper, it was. Therefore, I now know not to listen to his shit.

What's a 'Bill hicks', and why does anybody pay attention to him? Rap isn't art, it's crap for vermin anyway, so Billy doesn't make a bit of sense; is he from LA? That would explain it.

never knew of a 'rocker' who wasn't a giant greedy whore, so this Bill hicks must be a moron. All rock n roll is is just a gimmick to suck allowance money out teenagers' pockets, never was anything else to it. None of it is art.

• Banned
What's a 'Bill hicks', and why does anybody pay attention to him? Rap isn't art, it's crap for vermin anyway, so Billy doesn't make a bit of sense; is he from LA? That would explain it.

Hicks is from Texas, Mr. Clueless. He's also been dead since '94.

Ah, googled the gimp and turns out he's just some whiney little crybaby doing crap music and babbling a lot of dumbass stoner pseudo-intellectual gibberish for a living, and getting paid for it. lollerz.

If he was worth a shit I would have heard of him; apparently he's only known and famous by other sniveling pathetic wretches. and fags.

So, do you know that some record labels make artists sign over the copyrights to their songs to use as they see fit in order to get a record contract? I know that is the case because it happened when I was in a very good band 6 years ago. We had Warner Brothers, A&R and Shiner records pitching us a deal that would have given them 90 percent of the royalty rights to our original material that they could then give to higher profile artists under contract to them and we wouldn't get diddly squat by the time it was all said and done. Creedence Clearwater Revival is the most prolific example of it. Some bands don't have a say in it.

If he was worth a shit I would have heard of him; apparently he's only known and famous by other sniveling pathetic wretches. and fags.

Perhaps if you put your leather mask and dildo away and left your basement and interacted with the state you live in once in a while, you would've heard of him. He's a fucking legend in the stand up comedy world, dipshit.

Last edited:
So, do you know that some record labels make artists sign over the copyrights to their songs to use as they see fit in order to get a record contract? I know that is the case because it happened when I was in a very good band 6 years ago. We had Warner Brothers, A&R and Shiner records pitching us a deal that would have given them 90 percent of the royalty rights to our original material that they could then give to higher profile artists under contract to them and we wouldn't get diddly squat by the time it was all said and done. Creedence Clearwater Revival is the most prolific example of it. Some bands don't have a say in it.

Yes, you see that a lot in what's called a "360 deal" and others, and the label basically owns your ass. That particular deal that you were offered is literally the absolute worst kind of record deal in existence.

Most bands and solo acts never make any money for the labels, maybe one out of twenty even break even or better; that's why the no names get the least. The record industry is essentially just a vanity project for labels, big and small; the profit margin is very low and requires a big up front investment. Established acts do well enough, considering the intense competition and decline of the music industry in general. You have to write and play your own stuff, and it's the live shows that bring in the most money these days, so the lazy and sloppy have no future as pros. that's a good thing, actually.

Yes, you see that a lot in what's called a "360 deal" and others, and the label basically owns your ass. That particular deal that you were offered is literally the absolute worst kind of record deal in existence.

John Fogarty gave his record label the big time middle finger and stopped recording until the record deal expired...but even when he came out with a solo album in 1985, they claimed that they owned the guitar riffs to the song "Old Man Down The Road" because they claimed that it was a rip-off of Run Through The Jungle", a CCR tune that they owned. The music business is a parasitic industry.

Perhaps if you put your leather mask and dildo away and left your basement

Why do you think you're normal and everybody else is like you? It's just weird ...

and interacted with the state you live in once in a while, you would've heard of him. He's a fucking legend in the stand up comedy world, dipshit.

I know everybody who is anybody in the last 40 years, and more with some, and met them personally at least once, if they've played here, and most of them have. He isn't a 'legend', not even close; you just let him bang you in the butt in some parking lot after the dive closed once, that's all.

Most bands and solo acts never make any money for the labels, maybe one out of twenty even break even or better; that's why the no names get the least. The record industry is essentially just a vanity project for labels, big and small; the profit margin is very low and requires a big up front investment. Established acts do well enough, considering the intense competition and decline of the music industry in general. You have to write and play your own stuff, and it's the live shows that bring in the most money these days, so the lazy and sloppy have no future as pros. that's a good thing, actually.

Basically agree except for the profit margin part. You can easily see 60% or higher margins from vinyl sales when sold direct. Digital sales also have a high margin even after itunes and so on take their cut. CD's can have decent margin, but not as good as vinyl.

Touring can be a major money maker for superstars like Taylor Swift, but for most artists many would be surprised how difficult it is to even keep from losing money on an extended tour.

John Fogarty gave his record label the big time middle finger and stopped recording until the record deal expired...but even when he came out with a solo album in 1985, they claimed that they owned the guitar riffs to the song "Old Man Down The Road" because they claimed that it was a rip-off of Run Through The Jungle", a CCR tune that they owned. The music business is a parasitic industry.

Right. And it's the labels that made it so parasitic. Fortunately, they've been properly smacked around for over a decade now and these days I can't even see the point of having a record deal, except with really cool, artist-friendly indie labels that are very fair and pay out good royalties AND don't take ownership of your masters.

Right. And it's the labels that made it so parasitic. Fortunately, they've been properly smacked around for over a decade now and these days I can't even see the point of having a record deal, except with really cool, artist-friendly indie labels that are very fair and pay out good royalties AND don't take ownership of your masters.

You will have to be a good producer, engineer, , song writer, and musician to get far that way. Labels mostly aren't parasitic, they have to spread a little profit out over many losers just to stay solvent. making good royalties for a few thousand sales is okay, don't buy any fancy toys and wash your own socks, but most bands will take a smaller cut from a label that has the marketing power to push hundreds of thousands of copies. It takes a long time to make that nut selling out of your trunk or even on I -Tunes. If you have any kind of stayiing power at all, not just one or two halfass decent songs, the big label deals are still by far better than small labels, most of whom are just one or two off labels under the major anyway, and that includes most of those so-called 'gangsta thuggz' morons who peddle the fiction they're 'anti-establishment outlaw labels n shit'.

Who cares? If I like the music, that is all that matters to me.

There are a WHOLE BUNCH of songs used for commercials, some really famous and good songs by great and talented bands.

Forum List

Back