Aldi self checkout.....read your items before you complete the checkout.

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Now I'm not bitching about self checkout....I love it. Lately I've been hearing about some pretty slick scams going on including card skimmers, timed out transaction theft and a few others. So here's one that I ran into at Aldi's.

On two occasions recently I noticed that there were items on my checkout list visible on the screen that I did not scan. Both times these were fancy snack items like a five dollar protein shake or a nine dollar sushi tray and the like.

Now at Aldi's the self checkout is monitored from the cashier station where the employee can see your list and also edit your list. Hmmmm.....

I Politely hailed the cashier and had the items removed from the list....wonder how many times missed it?

Just a heads up.

Now I'm not bitching about self checkout....I love it. Lately I've been hearing about some pretty slick scams going on including card skimmers, timed out transaction theft and a few others. So here's one that I ran into at Aldi's.

On two occasions recently I noticed that there were items on my checkout list visible on the screen that I did not scan. Both times these were fancy snack items like a five dollar protein shake or a nine dollar sushi tray and the like.

Now at Aldi's the self checkout is monitored from the cashier station where the employee can see your list and also edit your list. Hmmmm.....

I Politely hailed the cashier and had the items removed from the list....wonder how many times missed it?

Just a heads up.
Absolutely... I swear to God what I am about to say is true.
Literally today - I was self checking out at Kroger, a lady next to me had only 3 or 4 items. She scanned a couple, then I heard her saying "what?... what is that?" She called over the attendant. I heard her say, "I don't have a sports drink, and didn't scan a sports drink"
Swear to God this just happened.
I didn't think a whole lot about it, but now that you say this, and the items are mostly snacks etc.
What is stopping the attendant from charging his own sport drink on a customer?
The answer - nothing.
I know this for a fact, because a few weeks ago the scale stopped working and I couldn't scan in a bag of apples. The kid took the bag over to his little desk, did whatever he does - and bingo! - the item appeared in my list on my screen as if I scanned it. If they can do that, then they can add anything they want.

Absolutely... I swear to God what I am about to say is true.
Literally today - I was self checking out at Kroger, a lady next to me had only 3 or 4 items. She scanned a couple, then I heard her saying "what?... what is that?" She called over the attendant. I heard her say, "I don't have a sports drink, and didn't scan a sports drink"
Swear to God this just happened.
I didn't think a whole lot about it, but now that you say this, and the items are mostly snacks etc.
What is stopping the attendant from charging his own sport drink on a customer?
The answer - nothing.
I know this for a fact, because a few weeks ago the scale stopped working and I couldn't scan in a bag of apples. The kid took the bag over to his little desk, did whatever he does - and bingo! - the item appeared in my list on my screen as if I scanned it. If they can do that, then they can add anything they want.
Yeah.... That's what I think too.

My local Lidl tries it on all the time but to date simply adds one specific item that you have not bought yet magically appears on your receipt .
Plus the other attempted scam---- failure to take the discount off items flagging a reduction on shelf and then on the Reduced Price sticker .

Because nothing gets by me , I simply get my receipt altered but say nothing else .

I do not want some bunch of petty crime clowns finding different and slightly more clever ways of trying to thieve from me .

My local Lidl tries it on all the time but to date simply adds one specific item that you have not bought yet magically appears on your receipt .
Plus the other attempted scam---- failure to take the discount off items flagging a reduction on shelf and then on the Reduced Price sticker .

Because nothing gets by me , I simply get my receipt altered but say nothing else .

I do not want some bunch of petty crime clowns finding different and slightly more clever ways of trying to thieve from me .
Yes they learn from their failures.... I have learned to review my list before I put my card in.

Forum List

Back