Am I being spied on through my phone?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
"All conspiracy theories are theories until proven."

I know that when I shop anywhere in the internet, that somehow Facebook then knows to throw adds at me about the very thing I searched Amazon for, or my search engine. It's not too hard to imagine how that would happen, and in my mind I don't really mind too much. I've found that waiting to purchase until all other options are presented to me, has saved me money.

However...

More and more I am beginning to get the conviction that my phone is also listening. And I know I'm not alone here. there are examples, things that happened to me that made me say "Woah!" a number of times. I can't remember the details now but I remember thinking that my phone had to be listening.

But something just happened and I decided to create this thread before I forgot the details.

On my birthday a couple of weeks ago, my oldest daughter and her husband took me to a fancy restaurant for dinner. I saw on the menu, a Tomahawk steak. I mentioned at dinner how impressed I was by that cut and also the Cowboy cut steak. I ordered it, a server brought it to the table on a cart and carved it up for me with great fanfare. we took a video of it and posted it on Facebook. After that when I was at worked I talked about the steak on several occasions, and I told family and friends that I was going to talk to my butcher about having him cut me one. Not once did I look up Tomahawk Steaks on Facebook or in a search engine. I didn't need to, I know what it is and I have a butcher who knows so why would I?

You guessed it, my Facebook feed is frequently giving me ads for Tomahawk steaks and places where I can get one or have one delivered. Again, this has happened to me before, but I have forgotten the details.

I don't know how to turn off the microphone on my phone, and I'm not sure if I want to. I use talk to text a lot. Now, I'm not more computer savvy than the average person, these things I have to try to explain to myself without benefit of that knowledge, but it seems anything is possible with technology these days.

It's not going to take too much for me to go down this conspiracy theory road, I already REFUSE to have smart devices, other than phones, in my home. I heard of a computer engineer who recently said "I'm just going to put this put there: I don't have any smart devices in my home."

They were spying on you, but they fell asleep/

Please do the spies a favor and do something interesting once in a while.

I know that when I shop anywhere in the internet, that somehow Facebook then knows to throw adds at me about the very thing I searched Amazon for, or my search engine. It's not too hard to imagine how that would happen, and in my mind I don't really mind too much. I've found that waiting to purchase until all other options are presented to me, has saved me money.

However...

More and more I am beginning to get the conviction that my phone is also listening. And I know I'm not alone here. there are examples, things that happened to me that made me say "Woah!" a number of times. I can't remember the details now but I remember thinking that my phone had to be listening.

But something just happened and I decided to create this thread before I forgot the details.

On my birthday a couple of weeks ago, my oldest daughter and her husband took me to a fancy restaurant for dinner. I saw on the menu, a Tomahawk steak. I mentioned at dinner how impressed I was by that cut and also the Cowboy cut steak. I ordered it, a server brought it to the table on a cart and carved it up for me with great fanfare. we took a video of it and posted it on Facebook. After that when I was at worked I talked about the steak on several occasions, and I told family and friends that I was going to talk to my butcher about having him cut me one. Not once did I look up Tomahawk Steaks on Facebook or in a search engine. I didn't need to, I know what it is and I have a butcher who knows so why would I?

You guessed it, my Facebook feed is frequently giving me ads for Tomahawk steaks and places where I can get one or have one delivered. Again, this has happened to me before, but I have forgotten the details.

I don't know how to turn off the microphone on my phone, and I'm not sure if I want to. I use talk to text a lot. Now, I'm not more computer savvy than the average person, these things I have to try to explain to myself without benefit of that knowledge, but it seems anything is possible with technology these days.

It's not going to take too much for me to go down this conspiracy theory road, I already REFUSE to have smart devices, other than phones, in my home. I heard of a computer engineer who recently said "I'm just going to put this put there: I don't have any smart devices in my home."
They just posted pics of you licking your fingers after visiting that site in "incognito"mode. Buy a kerchief man.............

Maybe we've a dept of terrorist tomahawk steaks we don't know about?

~S~

I understand and appreciate the humor, but let me be clear; that's just an example. These days I'm trying to keep my ownership of guns under the radar. I'm thinking about never speaking of them while my phone is on me and turning it off whenever I go to the range.

It's not just the steaks.

However...

You're phone isn't "spying" on you, per se. However, it is remembering everything you do and noting what you are interested in, then advertising what it thinks you want. That's called "marketing."

You can change microphone permissions on your device. There's other permissions and settings, too, depending on what kind of device it is.

I don't use faceook, but they can run ads based on what you upload, if you've allowed it.

However...

You're phone isn't "spying" on you, per se. However, it is remembering everything you do and noting what you are interested in, then advertising what it thinks you want. That's called "marketing."

Understood when I've done a search or purchase online, but as I stated, I did not search Tomahawk Steaks. Didn't need to, I have a butcher. As far as I can tell, I never, until now, typed the words "tomahawk steak" on any device.

If so, mine would die of boredom rather quickly.

Oh look...this honky is prattling on USMB again in between wanks.

~S~

I understand and appreciate the humor, but let me be clear; that's just an example. These days I'm trying to keep my ownership of guns under the radar. I'm thinking about never speaking of them while my phone is on me and turning it off whenever I go to the range.

I was being facetious Pred....

NSA-Data-Center-in-Bluffd-010.jpg

I figure these folks have nothing better to do

and don't even get me started on fema , et all lettered dept's

they probably have contingency plans right on up and including >>>>

~S~

~S~

~S~

I know you were and I appreciated the humor but it reminded me to clear something else up.

You can change microphone permissions on your device. There's other permissions and settings, too, depending on what kind of device it is.

I don't use faceook, but they can run ads based on what you upload, if you've allowed it.

But does that really stop it?

Pretty sure. But there's a lot of settings, you'll be clicking and ticking things for a couple of hours. lol. A lot of those default apps and even third party apps have permissions to access your whole file system. Then there is data permissions, camera permissions, microphone permissions, etc etc...permissions to perform user actions...

They can even send texts. Hey, lookit this steak Pred just had.

~S~

Well, if they didn't know about your guns before, they sure do now. Do you really think your USMB account is anonymous to the government?

However...

16xwsn.jpg

I'm going back to a regular flip phone once I find a good rugged one. I already gave my Apple watch to my son. Might go back to using my Getac laptop, too, since it has manual on/off radio switches and other hardware controls.

It's not that I'm paranoid. I simply don't like what these companies are able to do just because you bought their products.

Plus, you know, "arch enemies'' Pelosi and Trump just got their bipartisan thought crime stuff squeezed into that spending bill while everyone was watching the impeachment thing. Pelosi hurried up and rushed it through before anyone could report on it. lol. Hell, she even took a quick vote to bypass the 72 hour rule.

~S~

~S~

What leaked emails reveal about the cozy relationship between Google and the NSA

Confirmed: NSA Paid Google, Microsoft, Others Millions for PRISM Aid

Google’s true origin partly lies in CIA and NSA research grants for mass surveillance

Google's secret NSA alliance: The terrifying deals between Silicon Valley and the security state

Last edited:

Forum List

Back