Amazon CEO: AI-Assisted Code Transformation Saved Us 4,500 Years of Developer Work

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
LOL.....So much for "learn to code".
On Thursday, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy took to Twitter to boast that using Amazon Q to do Java upgrades has already saved Amazon from having to pay for 4,500 developer-years of work. ("Yes, that number is crazy but, real," writes Jassy).

And Jassy says it also provided Amazon with an additional $260M in annualized efficiency gains from enhanced security and reduced infrastructure costs.

"Our developers shipped 79% of the auto-generated code reviews without any additional changes," Jassy explained. "This is a great example of how large-scale enterprises can gain significant efficiencies in foundational software hygiene work by leveraging Amazon Q."

So much of the IT industry is going to be replaced.

Same with the tax and legal industries, among countless others.

The next 20 years are going to get really weird in that job market.

Sigh, maybe they can learn to mine coal. ;)

Last edited:
On Thursday, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy took to Twitter to boast that using Amazon Q to do Java upgrades has already saved Amazon from having to pay for 4,500 developer-years of work. ("Yes, that number is crazy but, real," writes Jassy).

And Jassy says it also provided Amazon with an additional $260M in annualized efficiency gains from enhanced security and reduced infrastructure costs.

"Our developers shipped 79% of the auto-generated code reviews without any additional changes," Jassy explained. "This is a great example of how large-scale enterprises can gain significant efficiencies in foundational software hygiene work by leveraging Amazon Q."

Mining coal is verboten

There's significant hype here I'm afraid.

We have tool at work that, with minimal input of parameters, will write a python program from scratch. I don't know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing in the long run. It will certainly enable non-programmers to code and will create code that otherwise would never be written due to cost. That could enrich all our lives. Doctors and lawyers will also be affected but that may just make medical and legal work available to more and more people.

Forum List

Back