Americans are no longer smart enough to have a sucessful democracy

I love that you come in spouting morality and talking about a democratic society when the country is in fact a Republic. How did you manage to forget about that one? To assume that people are somehow incapable of voting for themselves is insane too. Social media and whatnot makes it easier than ever to see the stupid people – there aren’t any more of them than ever before – we just see them now.

It has been known for some time that America was being dumbed down and now we see the result of that at the highest levels of our government.

Also...our morality has been decreasing for several decades now....combine an immoral citzenry with tooooo many stupid citizens and you have the perfect storm.....a dysfunctional society and government.

People Aren't Smart Enough for Democracy to Flourish, Scientists Say | Why the Best Candidate Never Wins | Psychology | LiveScience

Nailed it.

The stupid and lazy now outnumber the smart and productive. That is how we get Barack Obama, nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, et al.

The belief that America is degenerating on a moral level is shared by both Republicans and Democrats. According to a new Gallup poll, 82 percent of Republicans and 78 percent of Democrats say that moral values in the U.S.A. are only fair or downright poor. 40 years ago, only 33 percent of Americans felt that way.

Why Young Americans Can?t Think Morally | National Review Online

STOP IT....You're hurting the subversives feelings, much less their intellect!:badgrin::badgrin::eusa_clap:

So Liberals are the doom of America and Conservatives are the great white hope for salvation? Is that what I'm supposed to gather from this discussion?

Name one good moral value of American Christian Conservatives. Peace? You lied the nation into war. Justice? You tortured POWs to death in secret prisons. Kindness? Charity? Decency? Respect? Honor? Personal responsibility?

In what way can Republican Christian Conservative Teabaggers be considered "moral"?

It has been known for some time that America was being dumbed down and now we see the result of that at the highest levels of our government.

Also...our morality has been decreasing for several decades now....combine an immoral citzenry with tooooo many stupid citizens and you have the perfect storm.....a dysfunctional society and government.

We are neither a democracy or a republic now we are a kleptocracy

So Liberals are the doom of America and Conservatives are the great white hope for salvation? Is that what I'm supposed to gather from this discussion?

Name one good moral value of American Christian Conservatives. Peace? You lied the nation into war. Justice? You tortured POWs to death in secret prisons. Kindness? Charity? Decency? Respect? Honor? Personal responsibility?

In what way can Republican Christian Conservative Teabaggers be considered "moral"?

Being Lunch is almost here, and your post has a bunch of shit in it, I'll leave you with this one story...dumbass!

Conservatives and Liberals Are Equally Generous, Study Finds!

Conservatives and Liberals Are Equally Generous, Study Finds ? Prospecting - Blogs - The Chronicle of Philanthropy

So Liberals are just as charitable as Conservatives, but liberals donate to secular non-profits instead of religious groups. Is this evidence of why America is failing? Because liberals are not supporting the Church?

"Dumbness, to paraphrase the late senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, has been steadily defined downward for several decades, by a combination of heretofore irresistible forces. These include the triumph of video culture over print culture (and by video, I mean every form of digital media, as well as older electronic ones); a disjunction between Americans' rising level of formal education and their shaky grasp of basic geography, science and history; and the fusion of anti-rationalism with anti-intellectualism."

Are Americans getting dumber? | Psychology Today

So Liberals are just as charitable as Conservatives, but liberals donate to secular non-profits instead of religious groups. Is this evidence of why America is failing? Because liberals are not supporting the Church?

Now who do you suppose runs more "SOUP KITCHENS" and HOMELESS SHELTERS? Church and religious organizations or secularists?....Get back to me when you find out!

Anyone that tries to put blame on Liberals or conservatives, Democrats or republicans Etc etc, should not be taken seriously, period.
Example:
Bush pushed throught the Patriot Act. huge game changer that made this less America then any other move before it.
Not happy with that, Obama pushes the National Defense Authorization Actrough both are anti American in nature.

There are no sides anymore. the smoka and mirrors have been removed and we see that all parties are working for big money only.

And we haven't had a democratic system for many terms now, we have a dictatorship. The real problem is that the american people aren't smart enough to have figured that one out and gone third party to attempt to fix it.

Last edited:
Anyone that tries to put blame on Liberals or conservatives, Democrats or republicans Etc etc, should not be taken seriously, period.
Example:
Bush pushed throught the Patriot Act. huge game changer that made this less America then any other move before it.
Not happy with that, Obama pushes the National Defense Authorization Actrough both are anti American in nature.

There are no sides anymore. the smoka and mirrors have been removed and we see that all parties are working for big money only.

And we haven't had a democratic system for many terms now, we have a dictatorship. The real problem is that the american people aren't smart enough to have figured that one out and gone third party to attempt to fix it.

Excellent analysis......it is rather difficult to understand why America has remained essentially a two party system for so long....most especially since the traditional middle class has been abandoned for decades now.

Irregardless..........not all cliches are true but there is some truth in all cliches....aka
'a people get the kind of government they deserve'
and what kind of government does a nation of fools deserve?

Well go to Washington and look.

The big question now is can it be fixed? can it bu turned around?.....can the stupidities enacted by several administrations now be undone?...... or is America irrevocably unraveling? All empires eventually do.

The First French Empire began to unravel in 1812, when Napoleon decided to invade Russia. Napoleon underestimated the difficulties his army would have to face whilst occupying Russia. Convinced that the Tsar was conspiring with his British enemies, Napoleon led an army of 600,000 soldiers to Moscow. He captured the city, but the Tsar withdrew and set Moscow ablaze, leaving Napoleon's vast army without adequate shelter or supplies. Napoleon ordered a retreat, but the bitter Russian winter destroyed his army, and only a battered remnant of 30,000 soldiers managed to limp back to France.

I think the historians of the future will note that America began to unravel with the introduction of political correctness..... there is hardly a problem in America now that cannot be traced directly to the introduction of political correctness.

Yet our utter failure to deal with the war militant islam has declared upon us.....a war most people simply do not understand and stupidly believe all we have to do to solve that problem is to bring our troops home,become isolationist, and hope for the best.......that may ultimately be what actually destroys America....people do not understand this struggle with militant islam is just getting started.

Now who do you suppose runs more "SOUP KITCHENS" and HOMELESS SHELTERS? Church and religious organizations or secularists?....Get back to me when you find out!
Point scored...

Americans are no longer smart enough to have a sucessful .........

Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)
QUOTATION: “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

ATTRIBUTION: The response is attributed to BENJAMIN FRANKLIN—at the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, when queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation—in the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland’s delegates to the Convention."

First I want to apologize to saw briars for stealing her article for a posting in the satire section. I got so wrapped up in the irony of trashing reason by using reason that I neglected to give you credit.

Secondly, I want to thank saw briars for a great opening discussion, research on all those articles, no mean spirited posts or personal attacks, and a lot of straight line thinking.

But I got to say, how much longer do we have to endure quackery put out in the name of scholarly pursuit. Just ask yourself how Mongolia and the us have the same iq rates. Can the majority of people in Mongolia read to take a test. Does diet not have an effect on IQ. Does the accomplishments of a society not parallel their brainpower? Oh hell, let's just go gonzo on this one and say IQ tests are biased against white people.

But this first post about too incompetent to make a judgement, man please! This article gives every person in the world an out. Dem to repub, Obama to rev wright, and all the lying, flaming trolls on USMB. " well you are just too incompetent to understand what I am talking about" end of debate. Do I hear the elitism dogs barking anywhere. Is the condescension Calvary rushing in to save me? And I guess I missed the central planning memo about what was best for me.
Ok by now I am brimming with incompetence so let's compound the damage.lets compare the constitution with the the ACA( obamacare for those other incompetents out there) . The constitution is less than fifty pages and I understand it pretty well. Obamacare is over 2200 pages and I really don't know much about it, so I guess I am too incompetent to understand it. My judgements that the aca was too unwieldy, too expensive, antiamerican,rushed through without much thought, and just plain bad for our healthcare system were arrived at from experience, which apparently makes my assessments invalid. You get the point. Let's see, the study says people got the really bad ones right, but not the best ones right. Could it be that some people didn't agree with the authors choices? Ya don't think the authors might think of themselves as smarter than they really are do ya? Nah!

Are we dumbing ourselves down? Absolutely. Is it planned that way by liberals? Absolutely . Most people and a lot on these boards could not pass the 8th grade test from 1900 that has been circulating on the internet. When out of curiosity I picked up one of my sons textbooks he was using to study for his masters and turned to the beginning of one chapter, I was appalled. After just reading the first page, I said, son, how in the hell can you understand this stuff, this writing is as clear as mud and most of it is just gobbledygook? He just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't pay much attention to it, wrote what the teacher wanted,and kept his head down to just pass the course. So much for critical thinking. You have to have either dumb or brainwashed people to elect someone like Barack Obama, and that is the point. Dumbing down our population is a requirement for consolidating power by the left.

And since I am really going off the rails here, let's make the last part short. One only has to observe the level of mendacity, willful and premeditated, on USMB to conclude that there is no shame and very little morality raising its head in our society. That is not to say that I am a saint, far far from it, but there are certain universal virtues that fortify any society and the walls of our fort are crumbling before our eyes.

Forum List

Back