An Interesting Take On A Rush Song

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
The song is from "Grace Under Pressure" released in 1984. The track is called "Red Sector A".

From the first time I heard this back stationed at Robins AFB, Ga., the lyrics afforded visions of the song's meaning. Fast forward to today...

I was researching a few songs (and this one being one of them), gave me a glimpse of something that told me I wasn't far off the mark.

Watch the video (gleaned from YOUTUBE)...then continue reading...

The movie segments were from "A Band Of Brothers"...very chilling, compelling, and sadly part of human history:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzXDi_f9PUY"]Red Sector A - YouTube[/ame]

From Wiki of the album and song:

The album's running theme is pressure and how humans act under different kinds of pressure. In songs like "Between the Wheels" and "The Body Electric", Peart's lyrics explore the pressure put on by life as a whole. In "Afterimage", Peart describes the impressions left by a loved one that dies suddenly. One track, "Red Sector A," is notable for its allusions to The Holocaust, inspired by Geddy Lee's memories of his mother's stories about the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, where she was held prisoner.

I thought it was rather interesting and I was correct in my first hearing of the song knowing a bit of history especially from that era. Geddy Lee's mother experienced that horror, and was passed on in song.

Just thought I'd share it with you folks. See? Sometimes hobbies, (in this case music and history meld into a story in new images to preserve for future generations a legacy), sometimes a sad legacy...but to be learned nonetheless. Lest we forget and repeat as we too often tend to do.

Regards,

~T:)

The song is from "Grace Under Pressure" released in 1984. The track is called "Red Sector A".

From the first time I heard this back stationed at Robins AFB, Ga., the lyrics afforded visions of the song's meaning. Fast forward to today...

I was researching a few songs (and this one being one of them), gave me a glimpse of something that told me I wasn't far off the mark.

The movie segments were from "A Band Of Brothers"...very chilling, compelling, and sadly part of human history:

Red Sector A - YouTube

The album's running theme is pressure and how humans act under different kinds of pressure. In songs like "Between the Wheels" and "The Body Electric", Peart's lyrics explore the pressure put on by life as a whole. In "Afterimage", Peart describes the impressions left by a loved one that dies suddenly. One track, "Red Sector A," is notable for its allusions to The Holocaust, inspired by Geddy Lee's memories of his mother's stories about the liberation of Bergen-Belsen, where she was held prisoner.

I thought it was rather interesting and I was correct in my first hearing of the song knowing a bit of history especially from that era. Geddy Lee's mother experienced that horror, and was passed on in song.

Just thought I'd share it with you folks. See? Sometimes hobbies, (in this case music and history meld into a story in new images to preserve for future generations a legacy), sometimes a sad legacy...but to be learned nonetheless. Lest we forget and repeat as we too often tend to do.

Regards,

I tried...but I couldn't watch more than two minutes....

Homo homini lupus

Red Sector A - YouTube

Regards,

I tried...but I couldn't watch more than two minutes....

Homo homini lupus

Brought tears to my eyes...Thanks hon. :)

Not many comments here. Good! People are thinking...re-evaluating.

Red Sector A - YouTube

Regards,

I didn't drug or drink 'til I joined up, but yea, I sure tripped to Rush while I was at F.E. Warren AFB, and they're my second favorite band after the Cars and Billy Squier or the Talking Heads.

A friend in my Air Force class got me headed in the right direction of finding new music, since I hadn't really thought about it and turned me on to Zappa's album, "Sheik Yerbouti."

It was also at that time, I started getting high, and we'd go off base and rock out, of course. When I was alone, it had to be Rush! It makes the experience rush to your brain.

Don't know why, but for the first time in months, I went to my house in Gilroy, CA, yesterday with the wife and listened to "2112." Isn't that the way to go?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGMBr3EpaXg]Rush - A Passage To Bangkok - Live 11-20-1978 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quBCjo2rUZg]Closer To The Heart - Rush - YouTube[/ame]

Red Sector A - YouTube

Regards,

the video would be more compelling if it had something other than that annoying Rush tune in the background...

Red Sector A - YouTube

Regards,

the video would be more compelling if it had something other than that annoying Rush tune in the background...

The same video has a Dire Straits song to it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. It has probably been pulled.

Forum List

Back