Any Drone Jockeys Here?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
Just picked one up recently, and so far it's been a hoot. So I was just wondering if any of y'all fly drones, and what kind of tips you might have...

In fer checking it out. :terror:
The capabilities of this thing are amazing. I decided to jump in before the Senate decides to vote on banning DJI, which is the number one drone maker out there. They account for something like 80 percent of the market share. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they just don't want civilians having access to this tech. But that's a whole nother thread...

I'd LOVE to have a drone, but they are out of my price range at this point in time.

LOL.....I had one for about a minute of flight time.

Oh I figured it would be great for checking my roof/gutters.....I got it all set up, camera working etc.....Sent it up and promptly crashed it on the roof. When I got a new roof the workers brought it to me.

Right after I got the new roof I had Leaf Filter come by and take care of that problem too. ;)

Just picked one up recently, and so far it's been a hoot. So I was just wondering if any of y'all fly drones, and what kind of tips you might have...
Just a little information for you, to keep you on the right side of the bureaucracy.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has several regulations that apply to drones, also known as small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS):
  • 14 CFR Part 107
    This rule applies to routine non-recreational drone use. It aims to reduce risks to people, property, and other aircraft. To fly under Part 107, you must obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate from the FAA, which shows that you understand the regulations and how to safely fly a drone. You must also register each drone you fly under Part 107, and display the registration number on the outside. Part 107 prohibits flying drones over people, moving vehicles, or at night unless you get a waiver from the FAA. Some examples of Part 107 regulations include:
    • Visual surveys of the flight area to identify obstacles, people, and an emergency landing area
    • No flights over people
    • No disruption or danger to emergency response efforts, crowds, or civil infrastructure
    • Adequate ambient light for the pilot, visual observer, or person controlling the controls to see the drone without visual aids at night
    • Anti-collision strobe lights and other orientation and flight path lights attached to the drone in the dark
  • Statutory Exception for Limited Recreational Operations
    This exception allows people to fly drones for personal enjoyment without complying with Part 107, but they must still follow all rules for recreational flyers. Aircraft weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds) must be registered under this exception.

Forum List

Back