Anybody miss Tom Petty

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I believe he was the GREATEST American rock star of all time. He wrote dozens of great great songs
Been listening to his digital station and his songs are so CREATIVE
I did see him once live in like 1994 or so in Phoenix

I was so sad when he died.
He had a bad hip and made it far worse by touring.

I rarely ever show emotions but I was sad when he died.

Yes, he was pretty great. An unlikely success story as they were just like the garage band next door who
traveled across the country in a van to Hollywood , and started looking up record companies in the phone book. He had a unique voice though it wasnt overwhelming, and the band had a unique sound for the time, he had also a very different song writing style for the time that made it sound kind of refreshing. In some ways they were very fortunate, but their success was probably driven by Petty's confidence, and ability to churn out the song writing in a short amount of time.
I dont know that I would call him the greatest of all time but they definatley carved out their own niche.
His band also would not have been the same without his keyboardist who also just happened to be a hometown friend. Amazingly the core of that band just came together at the right time. They were one of my favorites for sure growing up as a kid. Even then their sound had a natural nostalgic quality to it.

Who's he? Wasn't he a race car driver? :smoke:
I believe you are thinking of Richard Petty.

:laugh:

"Anybody miss Tom Petty?"​

Nope. . . "it's all right. . . "

Enjoy what he left us, stop wondering, find enjoyment in the simple things in life, and move on. . .

"Maybe somewhere down the road away
You'll think of me and wonder where I am these days
Maybe somewhere down the road when somebody plays

Purple haze"

So the answer is a resounding , No . We do not miss him and what Harrison , Dylan and Orbison were doing with such an ordinary performer is difficult to fathom. How did he blackmail them ?

The Europeans liked him a lot for some reason. A lot more than other American bands at the time.
I guess those other guys who were professional musicians probably saw something in him that you don't.
Possibly his song writing or musical arrangements.

One of the better pure rock n roll bands, and they wrote some good songs. Made for good radio airplay, too.

I lean more to ZZ Top and Dire Straits, myself, as 'the best'. Hendrix was in a league of his own, no labels.

Enjoy what he left us, stop wondering, find enjoyment in the simple things in life, and move on. . .

Purple haze"

Isn't it great how Harrison and Orbison made Petty palatable?

I believe he was the GREATEST American rock star of all time. He wrote dozens of great great songs

greatest of all time?......thats a matter of opinion.....

I loved Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I went to seven of their concerts and everyone was incredible.

I guess a hip replacement did not help him ??
Seems medicine failed again.

I posted last month who was the best American Artist . Its for sure TP
He never had his hip replaced and took pain killers to be able to perform. A sad ending.

Purple haze"

The Wilburys was when I really listened to Tom Petty, his work in that group but also his vast work in his own group.

Forum List

Back