Anyone on Twitter

I was on FB for several years but quit it back in 16

You know.............I've never really been interested in Twitter. Why? Because I believe that it's almost impossible to put a cogent thought down in 280 characters or less. Many of my posts run more than just a couple of lines, and if I have something that requires something to be explained, it can run quite a bit longer, especially if I have to relate an experience from my life to explain why I think the way I do.

Example.............in the above paragraph, there are 422 characters, 77 words, and 6 lines of text. The above paragraph would have had to been put in 2 separate tweets.

The total for this entire post? 713 characters, 125 words, and 13 lines of text. (Verified by Character count website).

And..................the above post is a short response to the OP.
I don't mind the limitations on length of tweets. I have considerably improved my editing skills to get what I want to say in fewer words. But that second, third, or more tweet is how you get more information out there. And if the topic is of sufficient interest, it can generate some thoughtful discussion.

I don't mind the limitations on length of tweets. I have considerably improved my editing skills to get what I want to say in fewer words. But that second, third, or more tweet is how you get more information out there. And if the topic is of sufficient interest, it can generate some thoughtful discussion.

Not for nothing Fox, but the brat in me made me put your post through the counter (307 characters, 55 words and 5 lines). Your post was fairly well thought out, made your point, and was fairly short, but it would have still had to have been put in 2 separate tweets. Me? Although I can exercise brevity and be short in my responses when I want to (but usually don't), I just find it a hassle to put everything into bumper sticker sized bites. And, I also find that when I do so, many times my comments can be misconstrued as there isn't enough there to prevent people from reading their own bias into it.

I also think that reducing conversation down to bumper sticker sized thoughts could possibly be contributing to the dumbing down of people as a whole, as most appear to not think beyond their first thought, hoping that everyone else who reads it will "get it" and understand what they are saying. I personally am somewhat of an old fuddy duddy as I would rather go visit someone in person (if they are reasonably close by) if possible, if not, then a phone call. I HATE texting people, because there isn't the quick response to hash things out properly, and the texting can get tedious IMHO.

Yeah, I know.............all this tech is supposed to make our lives better and more efficient, as well as allow us to interact with each other more, but sometimes, it seems like it's actually accomplishing the opposite.

I agree. I've spent a few weeks on there since Musk has taken control and I read far more often than write.

Not for nothing Fox, but the brat in me made me put your post through the counter (307 characters, 55 words and 5 lines). Your post was fairly well thought out, made your point, and was fairly short, but it would have still had to have been put in 2 separate tweets. Me? Although I can exercise brevity and be short in my responses when I want to (but usually don't), I just find it a hassle to put everything into bumper sticker sized bites. And, I also find that when I do so, many times my comments can be misconstrued as there isn't enough there to prevent people from reading their own bias into it.

I also think that reducing conversation down to bumper sticker sized thoughts could possibly be contributing to the dumbing down of people as a whole, as most appear to not think beyond their first thought, hoping that everyone else who reads it will "get it" and understand what they are saying. I personally am somewhat of an old fuddy duddy as I would rather go visit someone in person (if they are reasonably close by) if possible, if not, then a phone call. I HATE texting people, because there isn't the quick response to hash things out properly, and the texting can get tedious IMHO.

Yeah, I know.............all this tech is supposed to make our lives better and more efficient, as well as allow us to interact with each other more, but sometimes, it seems like it's actually accomplishing the opposite.
I tweet very differently on Twitter than I post on a message board where I can elaborate a more than Twitter allows. Use a lot more abbreviations. Too many of the American public are so dumbed down anymore that their attention span can't handle much more than a sentence or two. Some people post that way here at USMB.

It's just a different form of communication. A different medium. I ignore the trolls and trouble makers there just as I do here and scroll over the snarky remarks and sound bites. But there are a lot of interesting and thoughtful comments too and a lot of breaking news information that alerts me to check out elsewhere what's going on.

I certainly don't depend on Twitter for in depth discussion or a primary news sources. But I have found it a mostly pleasant and entertaining experience. Especially since Elon took it over. It's a much happier, more relaxed place.

I agree. I've spent a few weeks on there since Musk has taken control and I read far more often than write.

Yes me too, but I do tweet quite a bit. Elon's tweets are both informative and very funny. The guy has an amazing sense of humor.

You're willing to spend that $8 month.
Go get 'em CaveMan.
The only ones who pay $8 are the businesses and famous people who are verified as being who they say they are. And those ALL can easily afford the $8/month and apparently are happy to pay it.

WE RELAX OUR FEET!

D3EvGxcXQAAkP4h

Forum List

Back