Approximately 191 Feral Horses Perished in Western Navajo, Cleanup Underway

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
GRAY MOUNTAIN – President Russell Begaye and Vice President Jonathan Nez traveled to Tuba City on Wednesday, May 2, to address a situation where approximately 191 feral horses were found dead in a stock pond in Gray Mountain due to drought and famine.

“This tragic incident exemplifies the problem the Navajo Nation faces in an overpopulation of feral horses,” President Begaye said. “There is a process for round-ups and it begins with the local chapter. What they need is a resolution requesting a round-up, which prompts the assistance of the Navajo Nation and BIA. Help is there, but they have to ask for it.”

Like many other Navajo communities, Gray Mountain has faced a growing feral horse problem for years. The occurrence of horses dying at this particular watering pond is not a new but a seasonal issue. There is an estimated amount of 50,000 to 70,000 feral horses on the Navajo Nation.

In response to the situation at Gray Mountain, the Office of the President (OPVP) has sent executive staff assistants to assist with coordinating the effort to contain the area and mitigate any resultant environmental or toxic situation.

“Resources at the scene indicate that foul play was not a factor. These horses weren’t shot or maliciously killed by an individual,” Vice President Nez said. “These animals were searching for water to stay alive. In the process, they, unfortunately burrowed themselves into the mud and couldn’t escape because they were so weak.”
PRESS RELEASE: APPROXIMATELY 191 FERAL HORSES PERISHED IN WESTERN NAVAJO, CLEANUP UNDERWAY

That's tragic.

I read that and saw the picture. I question their explanation saying they all died from drought within days of one another so close to each other.

I know horses run in herds but that just seems bizarre.

This is why Indians shouldn't have reservations or any other special status above other Americans. These amateurs aren't capable managing such a large piece of land.

Have they never heard of roundups?

Ya and the Chapter Houses put it together but ..........maybe 6 months ago there was a request for about $800,000 the tribal Wildlife and Agricultural Department asked from the Navajo Oversight Committee (?) and it was denied because education and medical were priorities. Once the US shut down the slaughter houses then it kind of went into overdrive----is my understanding of it.

Animals die, that's just one of the things that Mother Nature lets happen.

Animals die, that's just one of the things that Mother Nature lets happen.

Yup. I'm a horse lover and always have been. My old boy is 27.

Hell I hadn't ridden the old boy in two years. Threw a saddle on him and he rode like I rode him every day. Good horse.

Nature is a cruel task master and always has been.

GRAY MOUNTAIN – President Russell Begaye and Vice President Jonathan Nez traveled to Tuba City on Wednesday, May 2, to address a situation where approximately 191 feral horses were found dead in a stock pond in Gray Mountain due to drought and famine.

“This tragic incident exemplifies the problem the Navajo Nation faces in an overpopulation of feral horses,” President Begaye said. “There is a process for round-ups and it begins with the local chapter. What they need is a resolution requesting a round-up, which prompts the assistance of the Navajo Nation and BIA. Help is there, but they have to ask for it.”

Like many other Navajo communities, Gray Mountain has faced a growing feral horse problem for years. The occurrence of horses dying at this particular watering pond is not a new but a seasonal issue. There is an estimated amount of 50,000 to 70,000 feral horses on the Navajo Nation.

In response to the situation at Gray Mountain, the Office of the President (OPVP) has sent executive staff assistants to assist with coordinating the effort to contain the area and mitigate any resultant environmental or toxic situation.

“Resources at the scene indicate that foul play was not a factor. These horses weren’t shot or maliciously killed by an individual,” Vice President Nez said. “These animals were searching for water to stay alive. In the process, they, unfortunately burrowed themselves into the mud and couldn’t escape because they were so weak.”
PRESS RELEASE: APPROXIMATELY 191 FERAL HORSES PERISHED IN WESTERN NAVAJO, CLEANUP UNDERWAY

That's tragic.
Yes indeed. Very tragic. Damn.

Just remember horses are not indigenous to America, and without any major predators pressure, only mountain lions of which there are not too many.
All these animal right groups want to save the wild horses, well you got to cough up the bucks bitch.
Roundups Ha, nobody wants these animals, all you can do is feed them, otherwise most all except the very young have no value as a controllable, trainable animal.

Just remember horses are not indigenous to America, and without any major predators pressure, only mountain lions of which there are not too many.
All these animal right groups want to save the wild horses, well you got to cough up the bucks bitch.
Roundups Ha, nobody wants these animals, all you can do is feed them, otherwise most all except the very young have no value as a controllable, trainable animal.

Oh I know people who have mustangs.

They are great horses. Loads of stamina and make great trail horses.

Hell I know one who's a hunter jumper and the girl that owns him wouldn't trade him for the best thoroughbred on the planet.

Mustangs are trainable and make great mounts.

That's tragic.
"Western Navajo" -- find that on a map.

That is great, but there are still 100's of them waiting for adoptions at shelters that are constantly soliciting for donations to support these animals.
So now we have a 191 wild horses dies of thirst and starvation because of a drought, and it makes national news.

Hell I know one who's a hunter jumper and the girl that owns him wouldn't trade him for the best thoroughbred on the planet.

I am not that well informed on Horses and the training of them, so if I am incorrect bitchslap me... I have always heard horses are difficult animals to train and they have to be schooled when they are young... Time and patience is the key it seems... Beautiful Animals they are, but the numbers have to be curtailed or more situations like this will happen... Death by starvation and dehydration seems very cruel for majestic animals like this...

I am not that well informed on Horses and the training of them, so if I am incorrect bitchslap me... I have always heard horses are difficult animals to train and they have to be schooled when they are young... Time and patience is the key it seems... Beautiful Animals they are, but the numbers have to be curtailed or more situations like this will happen... Death by starvation and dehydration seems very cruel for majestic animals like this...

Yup. Horses take time and patience to train. That's all horses not just mustangs.

As I said. Nature is a cruel mistress and always has been. No way to save all the wild horses and nature will take its course. Its happened all through history and will continue to happen.

Oh and horses were native to America.

Horses lived in North America from about 50 million to 11,000 years ago, when they went extinct on the continent before being reintroduced by the Europeans thousands of years later, but it's uncommon to find horse remains in Utah.

Pretty interesting story of horse remains found in Utah.Utah Landscapers Discover Remains of Ice Age Horse

th

Since the horses have no natural predators other than wolves and cougars the only alternate solutions, if no one wants them, is to hunt them or allow nature to take it's course.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last winter the Navajo Nation announced they would issue tags to hunt horses. The outcry from the do-gooders was so loud, they cancelled the hunt.

Hunt canceled, feral horses a growing problem - Navajo Times

I guess getting stuck in the quicksand and dying of thirst and exhaustion is more humane than a well aimed bullet.....right?

Btw, unit 16 of the Navajo Nation is 200 ft north of my lot. I get horses here. They call them feral but some have calluses from being worked, some even have brands.

I read that and saw the picture. I question their explanation saying they all died from drought within days of one another so close to each other.

I know horses run in herds but that just seems bizarre.
Ah, the old "thin the herd by poisoning the stock pond" trick.

Forum List

Back