are these people any different from the ebt cheats at walmart?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
Some pension plans have overpaid retirees for years -- now they're demanding their money back.

For retirees, it can mean owing tens of thousands of dollars. And with little warning, their pension checks are being slashed to cover their debt.

Pensions Ask Retirees to Pay Back Tens of Thousands - Yahoo Finance

they blame the company for overpaying their pensions..but in truth...didnt they take money knowing it was overpayment?

Not even close.
As I read the article, several of the examples showed that the amount owed is 50% interest or more.
Like the person who, after removing interest, was paid $46,000 too much - but it was over a period of over 20 years. That is only $120 a month - it is very possible they didn't know it.
Others owed less than $10,000 (before interest) in a period of 6-10 years...again...very little per month.
The EBT windfall was an immediate and obvious mistake to absolutely everyone. They then literally stormed retail stores "charging" overflowing carts and even multiple carts.
Not even close to the same thing.

Some pension plans have overpaid retirees for years -- now they're demanding their money back.

For retirees, it can mean owing tens of thousands of dollars. And with little warning, their pension checks are being slashed to cover their debt.

Pensions Ask Retirees to Pay Back Tens of Thousands - Yahoo Finance

they blame the company for overpaying their pensions..but in truth...didnt they take money knowing it was overpayment?

Doesn't sound like they knew they were being overpaid. So yeah it's different.
Should they have to pay it back? I believe so.
But they need to be a little less draconian in their methods. It was their mistake after all.

so all these people had no clue they were being overpaid?

i dont think the interest should be collected but apparently they SIGNED CONTRACTS and one would think they would research their retirement pension....

so all these people had no clue they were being overpaid?

i dont think the interest should be collected but apparently they SIGNED CONTRACTS and one would think they would research their retirement pension....

The interest is overkill, just get the principal back.

It all depends...in a nutshell, if any of these go to court - the pension fund will lose in many cases.
The first to go is interest, compounded - many of the balances "owed" was over 50% interest.
Secondly, although the funds do and should have a right to reclaim over payments like anyone else - there is a point in which that right is no longer reasonable.
I believe several of these cases fit that.
If the over-payment was not easily detected, and happened over a 20 year period - it is incredibly unreasonable to expect immediate repayment or any schedule that places UNDUE stress on the individual.
As well as the obvious consideration is how the hell did it take 20 years to figure it out?? I totally believe, as I also believe any reasonable judge would declare - that they knew they were overpaying.

Not even close.
As I read the article, several of the examples showed that the amount owed is 50% interest or more.
Like the person who, after removing interest, was paid $46,000 too much - but it was over a period of over 20 years. That is only $120 a month - it is very possible they didn't know it.
Others owed less than $10,000 (before interest) in a period of 6-10 years...again...very little per month.
The EBT windfall was an immediate and obvious mistake to absolutely everyone. They then literally stormed retail stores "charging" overflowing carts and even multiple carts.
Not even close to the same thing.

Agreed. Where I worked, I knew the formula for figuring the pension, but they told me it may be slightly more or less depending on several factors. My husband's pension fund gave no formula for figuring his pension. You just get what they say you get. So, yes, there is a vast difference in these people and the EBT cheats who knew they didn't have funds to cover their purchases.

Forum List

Back