Army beret to be dumped in favor of more practical caps

I believe that the beret was instituted so that American soldiers would blend in better when they were on NATO and US missions.

You have a point.
It's part of making the United States blend into the new world order.

All of the other European countries where the beret.

So they don't want the US troops to look different than the ones from other countries.

It's along the same line of thinking to replace the American flag on uniforms with the EU flag.

After all during these missions American troops will sometimes be under foreign generals from other countries.

Really just another step towards a one global government headed by the European Union.

Last edited:
I believe that the beret was instituted so that American soldiers would blend in better when they were on NATO and US missions.

You have a point.
It's part of making the United States blend into the new world order.

All of the other European countries where the beret.

So they don't want the US troops to look different than the ones from other countries.

It's along the same line of thinking to replace the American flag on uniforms with the EU flag.

After all during these missions American troops will sometimes be under foreign generals from other countries.

Really just another step towards a one global government headed by the European Union.

What you are saying makes sense except for one thing, the Euro Militaries for the most part are a joke outside of the Brits and the Dutch, they have no real battlefield experience in anything to command American GI's.

true , however the brit infantry units thy have left are Crack and they each have their own distinct headgear ala color beret etc.(?)..maybe Colin or Bootneck could weigh in here....

The IDF also seems to favor Berets, and have distinctive ones for each section. They even have distinctive berets for northern infantry vs souther infantry.

Don't get me wrong. Berets are chick magnets when you're in garrison (at least it was in the Fort Bragg-Fayetteville area). They do look cool when worn correctly. But that's about it.

They're bullet magnets if you wear them in the field. Ain't nothing cool about that!

IOh and the velcro bullshit is gone too, back to sewing on insignia etc..,,,friggin green machine, nothing ever changes....:lol:

Never understood that one, neither. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when they had those wristwatch bands with the piece that strapped over the face of the watch so that the glare off of lights or even moonlight wouldn't give away your position.

But the "RRRRRRRRRIP" sound that it makes when you pull back the strap to look at the time certainly would!

So it surprised me when the Army went to velcro on everything. I always wondered how practical that shit was when you're out in the sticks trying to make your way through wait-a-minute vines and everything from poison ivy leaves to chiggers stuck on the velcro pad!

Army beret to be dumped in favor of more practical caps

0614-army-beret_full_380.jpg

Army beret to be dumped in favor of more practical caps - CSMonitor.com

Well what are the new hats going to look like?

ACU_Patrol_Cap_SLarge1_26.jpg

But I always liked these:

HAT-GRN-BUSH.jpg

IOh and the velcro bullshit is gone too, back to sewing on insignia etc..,,,friggin green machine, nothing ever changes....:lol:

Never understood that one, neither. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's when they had those wristwatch bands with the piece that strapped over the face of the watch so that the glare off of lights or even moonlight wouldn't give away your position.

But the "RRRRRRRRRIP" sound that it makes when you pull back the strap to look at the time certainly would!

So it surprised me when the Army went to velcro on everything. I always wondered how practical that shit was when you're out in the sticks trying to make your way through wait-a-minute vines and everything from poison ivy leaves to chiggers stuck on the velcro pad!

dead on.......me too.

BUT you have to remember old sod, it took the army what? 35 years to figure out there was no appreciable sand in Europe?
rofl.gif

Last edited:
the wife hates the berets -she's had the same one since boot camp. said it took her long enough to shave and shape that one, she sure as hell wasn't going to do it again as long as she didn't have to.

she's not a big fan of the acu's either. not just because of the velcro - although that doesn't help - but she says it feels and looks like everyone is wearing pajamas. said with the bdu's you could size a soldier up right away by how sharp their uniform looked. now though, everyone looks the same.

Air Force cops all wear a black beret too.

If you ask me it's nothing more than a motivational ploy to get trainees to strive for the "achievement" of obtaining it.

The tin pot of WW2 -they cooked, washed and didsom eother sturff with thing

Did't see a lot of gay-looking berets

Forum List

Back