Atheism IS a Religion

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Its basic tenet is that there is no higher authority in the Universe than Mankind. That suppositional belief is inherently no more or less valid than "traditional" religious beliefs in a superior being or beings who control/affect human destiny. Inasmuch as we are, definitionally, unable to comprehend an intelligence greater than our own, there is no way of "proving" either proposition. Therefore, atheism should be given no more or less consideration than other religions.

Atheism is not a religion. No two atheists share anything in common other than a lack of belief in god. There are no tenets intrinsic to atheism, and there is no doctrine. You're attempting to switch the burden of proof. The null hypothesis is that "no god exists" until one can be proven. Not to mention the definition of religion precludes atheism.

Last edited:
I am an atheist

I never claimed there is no higher authority in the Universe than mankind. Come to think about it, I don't see what authority mankind actually have in the Universe baring each individuals actions and thought.

Kind of hard not to think that way when you live on Hurricane alley. When a Hurricane comes, it has complete control of what is or is not destroyed. Funny thing, though--Hurricanes do not possess a conscience. So how does it "decides" where to land and what to destroy?

Atheism is not a religion. No two atheists share anything in common other than a lack of belief in god. There are no tenets intrinsic to atheism, and there is no doctrine. You're attempting to switch the burden of proof. The null hypothesis is that "no god exists" until one can be proven. Not to mention the definition of religion precludes atheism.

I agree. I don't believe in a god. I am an atheist but I also have very strong religious/ spiritual beliefs.

A quicky search for a definition gives us this:
re·li·gion
/riˈlijən/
Noun

1) The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.
2) Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Synonyms
faith - belief - creed - denomination

I interpret this to mean that the word "religion" can include a belief that does not include a Magic Sky Fairy.

OTOH, I would rather not have my beliefs lumped in with most religions.

How many times can a topic be recycled?

How many times do the definitions of words have to be explained?

Is this just a bad joke?

Is atheism tax exempt?

Why is there a need to declare atheism a religion?

Hey, maybe that should be the title of a thread!!

Its basic tenet is that there is no higher authority in the Universe than Mankind. That suppositional belief is inherently no more or less valid than "traditional" religious beliefs in a superior being or beings who control/affect human destiny. Inasmuch as we are, definitionally, unable to comprehend an intelligence greater than our own, there is no way of "proving" either proposition. Therefore, atheism should be given no more or less consideration than other religions.

Actually not.

In fact, ‘atheists’ have considerable contempt for humankind; it was man, after all, that invented the bane of religion and god.

Why is there a need to declare atheism a religion?

Hey, maybe that should be the title of a thread!!

I thought the same thing but really, christian-types like lables. They like to kick and shove people into little boxes. That's why they so often say that they way is the only way, their god is the only god.

Another thread says something about 'proof that god exists' but the op didn't way with god and there are SO many.

This nonsense of atheism as ‘religion’ is predicated on the fallacy that god and Christianity are indeed ‘fact,’ where the atheist must deny the ‘fact’ of god and Christianity, thus creating a ‘religion.’

This is idiocy, of course, because one cannot not believe in something that never existed to begin with.

Are ya lookin for tax exempt status? No prob.

Atheism states there is no life after ones last breath - and so of everyone, as a religion.

Anyone is an atheist until, and unless, they learn to believe in a god.

The campaign to define a lack of religious belief as a kind of religious belief itself, is most political in origin (in the US at least) - seeking to circumvent the traditional separation of church and state by claiming that a lack of belief in a god is the same thing as belief in a god.

Actually, it's completely less valid as a religion. Religion implies order and a belief in principles. You can be atheist and believe in neither.

I am atheist Republican/Libertarian.. I don't believe in any man made religion but I do love the traditions like Christmas, Easter.... I don't like when atheist or other groups try to get rid of traditions of groups who may disagree with.. Religion is belong to values and values are arbitrary. Rights are not arbitrary you have the right to exercise your values as long as it's not a violent act against others right.. Religion and Atheism are a form of collectivism what we have to live with and tolerate for long years to come..

No. Atheism does not hold that there is no higher authority than Mankind. It holds that there is no higher authority at all.

It could be argued that Athiesm is a religious belief. That does not make it a religion.

No. Atheism does not hold that there is no higher authority than Mankind. It holds that there is no higher authority at all.

It could be argued that Athiesm is a religious belief. That does not make it a religion.

" It holds that there is no higher authority at all."

so it is a religious belief ...

" It holds that there is no higher authority at all."

so it is a religious belief ...

I believe I did say that. But again, that does not make it a religion.

Forum List

Back