Average Gasoline Prices Under The Past Four Presidents

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I disagree with the statement "there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term." The fact that the price of gasoline has historically been lower under Republican Presidents should say something to you. Even under GW and with a war raging in the Middle East, gasoline only went as high as $3.50 per gallon, while today's average price per gallon is $3.684.

"In June 2022, driven by a combination of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, an economic recovery from Covid-19, and arguably certain policies of the Biden Administration, the average weekly retail gasoline price hit an all-time high of $5.07 per gallon. (Source).

Since then, gasoline prices have fallen substantially, and were most recently $3.51/gallon. But I thought it might be interesting to look at the average gasoline price under each president over the past 20 years or so. (Prior to that, gasoline prices were generally under $2.00 a gallon).

Presidents get a lot of credit and blame over rising and falling gasoline prices. In reality, there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term. Longer term, a president can pass policies that impact supply and demand in such a way that they do impact gasoline prices. But in the short term, a president has relatively few handles for influencing gasoline prices."

gasoline.jpg

I disagree with the statement "there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term." The fact that the price of gasoline has historically been lower under Republican Presidents should say something to you. Even under GW and with a war raging in the Middle East, gasoline only went as high as $3.50 per gallon, while today's average price per gallon is $3.684.

"In June 2022, driven by a combination of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, an economic recovery from Covid-19, and arguably certain policies of the Biden Administration, the average weekly retail gasoline price hit an all-time high of $5.07 per gallon. (Source).

Since then, gasoline prices have fallen substantially, and were most recently $3.51/gallon. But I thought it might be interesting to look at the average gasoline price under each president over the past 20 years or so. (Prior to that, gasoline prices were generally under $2.00 a gallon).

Presidents get a lot of credit and blame over rising and falling gasoline prices. In reality, there’s not a lot a president can do to impact gasoline prices in the short term. Longer term, a president can pass policies that impact supply and demand in such a way that they do impact gasoline prices. But in the short term, a president has relatively few handles for influencing gasoline prices."

View attachment 790431

Have housing, education, healthcare and automobiles gone up under the last four presidents?

Supply and Demand often times have nothing to do with the price. When gas went to $5 under Biden it was argued it was because of the war in Ukraine and the fact that Biden was president.

The war continues on and Biden is still president but oil is near half of what it was then.

OPEC made cuts because S&D was being met and prices spiked. They have since fallen.

View attachment 790431

The DemoKKKrats want gasoline, like guns, to be something only their wealthy friends can have.

View attachment 790431

Why did Trump raise the prices when he took office?

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the entire Obama presidency was $3.15.

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the entire Trump presidency was $2.508

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the Biden presidency so far has been was $3.54.

Now whose energy policies raised prices?

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the entire Obama presidency was $3.15.

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the entire Trump presidency was $2.508

The average price of a gallon of gasoline throughout the Biden presidency so far has been was $3.54.

Clamoring for Covid again. I'll never understand that.

The price rose in 2018 because of the rising demand for oil, production declines in Venezuela, and uncertainty about how renewed U.S. sanctions will affect Iranian oil exports. Trump countered that by giving the go-ahead on the Keystone XL pipeline, as well as opening up the ANWR area for drilling. The price of oil dropped dramatically in 2018, which wasn't pandemic-related.

c5.jpg

The price rose in 2018 because of the rising demand for oil, production declines in Venezuela, and uncertainty about how renewed U.S. sanctions will affect Iranian oil exports. Trump countered that by giving the go-ahead on the Keystone XL pipeline, as well as opening up the ANWR area for drilling. The price of oil dropped dramatically in 2018, which wasn't pandemic-related.

View attachment 790437

Prices went up 28 cents a gallon in 2018.
That is on top of the 28 cents a gallon in 2017

Why did Trump do this? Or are you now saying the POTUS does not control the price of gas.

If the POUTS contorls the price of gas, that has to include when it goes up under a Repub.

Clamoring for Covid again. I'll never understand that.

So you doubt that we would have cheaper gasoline right now, if there was a Republican President in office?

Prove it. I've already made my case, based on history.

Prices went up 28 cents a gallon in 2018.
That is on top of the 28 cents a gallon in 2017

Why did Trump do this? Or are you now saying the POTUS does not control the price of gas.

If the POUTS contorls the price of gas, that has to include when it goes up under a Repub.

Same to you:

So you doubt that we would have cheaper gasoline right now, if there was a Republican President in office?

Prove it. I've already made my case, based on history. Show me some evidence that gasoline hasn't been higher under a Democrat administration. Fuck the nitpicking and small points. I want to see the big picture.

Go all the way back to Jimmy Carter if you want to. :laughing0301:

Slightly? Perhaps. As has been pointed out to you, it went up from Obama's lows to when Trump took over. But then again, I'll argue Obama was a Republican economically.

Prove it. I've already made my case, based on history.

Why did Trump raise prices when he took over?

Same to you:

Prove it. I've already made my case, based on history. Show me some evidence that gasoline hasn't been higher under a Democrat administration. Fuck the nitpicking and small points. I want to see the big picture.

Go all the way back to Jimmy Carter if you want to. :laughing0301:

This is your theory. You said the POUTS controls the price of gas.

So, why did Trump raise the price when he took office?

I personally do not think the price of gas cares who is sitting in the White House.

I thought presidents have no control over gas prices, and that was a Capitalism, free market situation.

Can't make up your mind?

This is your theory. You said the POUTS controls the price of gas.

So, why did Trump raise the price when he took office?

I personally do not think the price of gas cares who is sitting in the White House.

I'm just pointing out that the price of gasoline has typically been lower under a Republican President, during the last four administrations, which is a fact.

Forum List

Back