Backup at Panama Canal

So....
How much do you want to pay for a pair of sneakers?

I'm talking about the cheap ones at Walmart....not the good ones at GoodFeet store.
The rule of pricing is that you charge what the market will bear. It doesn't matter if you spend 3 cents a day or 15 dollars an hour on labor. You charge what the market will bear. It's bullshit that they will have to charge more if they make their product in the US. They WILL make less profit, but they're already charging top dollar. Hint, companies don't pass on the windfall profits they make by employing slave labor. So to answer your question, I will pay whatever those sneakers are worth to me. If they go too high, their inventory will go too high also.

Last edited:
That is ONE pair of companies that merged. Can you not read for comprehension? I stand by my claim that you are wrong.
Nevermind the facts my mind is made up eh?
Even though it's exactly and precisely as I stated.

Ya know....you gain gravitas by admitting you were wrong...you look like an idiot standing your ground when faced with facts.
Just saying....

You're close. It was Jimmy Carter who negotiated the deal to give the canal back to Panama, and the transfer of ownership too place in 1999, under Bill Clinton. Panama hasn't really dredged and improved the canal as well as it would have been, had we kept it.

So as usual, the problem is just one more failure and more unintended consequences that can be attributed to Democrats.

Your ignorance is amazing. First. Panama is constantly working on the canal. Second. They put bigger Locks in to manage even bigger ships.

Now I suppose you are of the opinion that drought doesn’t happen to Americans. But it does. And that is something that anyone with half a brain understands.

The Canal is dealing with it the only way they can. Reducing the number of ships that go through and dredging to add additional water sources, other rivers, to try and make up the shortfall.

It might be time for a big project so that we're not having to worry about Panamanian drought. One idea would be to not wait on new technologies and address the issue using what we already have in terms of capability. Freighters come into the Port of Long Beach or Seattle. Instead of putting the containers onto trucks and letting them drive off to deliver them...put them onto a bullet train and let the train deliver the containers 400 at a time to the midwest in a matter of hours instead of weeks. From there; you can have a truckers drive a 200 to 400 hundred miles a day instead of 1000-1500 miles over a few days or a week.

Of course we don't have the bullet trains that do this. We have the capability but we don't have the actual hardware. Why? I'm sure it has something to do with fascism and liberty. Montenegro has bullet trains. Montenegro. Unbelievable.

It might be time for a big project so that we're not having to worry about Panamanian drought. One idea would be to not wait on new technologies and address the issue using what we already have in terms of capability. Freighters come into the Port of Long Beach or Seattle. Instead of putting the containers onto trucks and letting them drive off to deliver them...put them onto a bullet train and let the train deliver the containers 400 at a time to the midwest in a matter of hours instead of weeks. From there; you can have a truckers drive a 200 to 400 hundred miles a day instead of 1000-1500 miles over a few days or a week.

Of course we don't have the bullet trains that do this. We have the capability but we don't have the actual hardware. Why? I'm sure it has something to do with fascism and liberty. Montenegro has bullet trains. Montenegro. Unbelievable.

Bullet trains are used for passengers, not containers. The reason is containers are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Additionally, containers are rather heavier than a passenger car the bullet trains usually manage. A container can weigh more than thirty tons. They tend to travel double stacked on rail cars. Sixty tons of cargo.

The only Bullet Train right now in America is an idiotic thing in California. Where it takes twice as long as flying. And it cost more than twice as much.

Cargo Trains already move faster than trucks, overall. Oh a single team might go faster, but the whole load of the train would get to the hub much faster than a bunch of trucks would.

The question isn’t speed. Its capacity. The tracks can only handle so many Constructs traveling only so close together. And the other problem is how many trains actually exist.

Bullet trains are used for passengers, not containers. The reason is containers are about as aerodynamic as a brick.

Additionally, containers are rather heavier than a passenger car the bullet trains usually manage. A container can weigh more than thirty tons. They tend to travel double stacked on rail cars. Sixty tons of cargo.

The only Bullet Train right now in America is an idiotic thing in California. Where it takes twice as long as flying. And it cost more than twice as much.

Cargo Trains already move faster than trucks, overall. Oh a single team might go faster, but the whole load of the train would get to the hub much faster than a bunch of trucks would.

The question isn’t speed. Its capacity. The tracks can only handle so many Constructs traveling only so close together. And the other problem is how many trains actually exist.

Yeah, we need to solve that. This is my point.

We've done great things before. We can do it again.

I'm sure everyone remembers the Evergreen clogging up the Suez Canal....

40% of all US goods go through the Panama canal. Now, because of drought, shipping is getting difficult and is going to be delayed. This isn't going away anytime soon. Panama needs a lot of rain and soon.
(The canal is not operated by sea water but by a lake)

/----/ Geee - if only there were some nearby water sources they could use instead.
1692789936189.png

Your ignorance is amazing. First. Panama is constantly working on the canal. Second. They put bigger Locks in to manage even bigger ships.

Now I suppose you are of the opinion that drought doesn’t happen to Americans. But it does. And that is something that anyone with half a brain understands.

The Canal is dealing with it the only way they can. Reducing the number of ships that go through and dredging to add additional water sources, other rivers, to try and make up the shortfall.
/---/ Don't forget to thank Jimma "I'll never lie to ya" Carter for giving away our canal.

/----/ Geee - if only there were some nearby water sources they could use instead.
View attachment 818401

Does Steel Rust In Salt Water?​

1692791212781.png
Savoteur
https://savoteur.com › Coastal Environment

Aug 2, 2023 — Saltwater will corrode steel much faster than freshwater. Saltwater is an electrolyte that conducts ions, lowering the electrical resistance of ...

Does saltwater affect the production of rust?​

UCSB Science Line
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu › getkey

Feb 19, 2004 — Answer 1: Yes, very much. People who live near the ocean know this. The reason is that the process of rusting involves electrons moving around, ...

The canal is an artificial construct. In fact, with Progs like you with global climate change, something that should not exist. We live harmoniously with nature. So now the southwest is getting more snow and rain to fill-up the artificial lakes and hydro eclectic dams to make life for tens of millions of Americans and more. You do not want this. Tear it all down. Tear it down. Tear it down. Let's make the earth primeval. Live with nature completely. Now go to the store and get your prepacked so call organic food supplies. Unless you naturally work naturally to grow the food and slaughter the animals for your sustenance without using any technology.

Does Steel Rust In Salt Water?

View attachment 818407
Savoteur
https://savoteur.com › Coastal Environment
Aug 2, 2023 — Saltwater will corrode steel much faster than freshwater. Saltwater is an electrolyte that conducts ions, lowering the electrical resistance of ...

Does saltwater affect the production of rust?

UCSB Science Line
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu › getkey
Feb 19, 2004 — Answer 1: Yes, very much. People who live near the ocean know this. The reason is that the process of rusting involves electrons moving around, ...
/----/ The ships have salt clinging to their hulls which contaminates the fresh water. The sea water is only a temporary supplement to the fresh water until the drought is over. A small desalination plant can relieve the situation.

The canal is an artificial construct. In fact, with Progs like you with global climate change, something that should not exist. We live harmoniously with nature. So now the southwest is getting more snow and rain to fill-up the artificial lakes and hydro eclectic dams to make life for tens of millions of Americans and more. You do not want this. Tear it all down. Tear it down. Tear it down. Let's make the earth primeval. Live with nature completely. Now go to the store and get your prepacked so call organic food supplies. Unless you naturally work naturally to grow the food and slaughter the animals for your sustenance without using any technology.
/----/ Silly 22lcidw, the draconian lifestyle only applies to the little people. The leftist elite will preserve their comfortable lifestyle.

/----/ The ships have salt clinging to their hulls which contaminates the fresh water.
Not anything like actual salt water.
Likely, going through two locks and they are salt free.
The sea water is only a temporary supplement to the fresh water until the drought is over. A small desalination plant can relieve the situation.
They are building a reservoir with fresh water to supplement the canal.

Shipping needs a massive overhaul here in America.
Shipping lanes are just as important as interstates are for the transportation of goods.

This means a massive upgrades for our ports and port cities as well as the Panama Canal.

However, China and Taiwan and India are all using this canal to get goods to the East Coast (because they don't like Shipping to California....too many regulations and more expensive than going through the canal to the east coast.

Panama government is as corrupt of a banana republic as they come....so they are going to be incapable of any upgrades or anything else to the lockes.

So....what to do?

Obviously the US government, in its latest fit of spending to entice our energy grid to be green has basically wiped out its reserves. Borrowing a trillion dollars per month will do that. The USA government is broke.

So....
We definitely need some old fashioned real LEADERSHIP for a change....not the crap we are currently getting from both sides of the aisle.

Forum List

Back