Bad week for felons who want to have guns

Supreme courts in the two states that seemed potentially most open to preserving felons’ rights to keep and bear arms — Colorado and Louisiana — have rejected such claims.

In Colorado, a past Colorado Supreme Court precedent had seemingly concluded that the Colorado Constitution protects even felons, at least when it comes to keeping guns at home for self-defense. The Colorado Court of Appeals had followed that precedent. But Monday, the Colorado Supreme Court interpreted its precedents as not allowing such possession by felons, except when the felons arm themselves to protect against “imminent” attack (which is very difficult, given that, by the time an attack is imminent, it may be too late to get a gun). See State v. Carbajal (Colo. June 30, 2014) (5-to-2 vote).

In Louisiana, voters in 2012 revised the state constitutional right to bear arms to read, “The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.” In yesterday’s State v. Eberhardt (La. July 1, 2014), the Louisiana Supreme Court held that the state ban on felons’ possessing guns remains constitutional (paragraph break added):

Read the rest here:
Bad week for felons who want to have guns - The Washington Post

I'm actually rather surprised for both.

I'm glad. Felons have shown they have no regard for the rights of those they harmed so their rights SHOULD be curtailed.

I agree [MENTION=30538]Grampa Murked U[/MENTION]

Forum List

Back