Baseball Language

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Jerry Remy's comments about the Yankees bringing an interpreter out to the mound in last night 's game have brought some backlash. Big deal? No big deal?

Who cares if a guy needs an interpreter?

Do American ballplayers playing in Japan get interpreters?

Jerry Remy's comments about the Yankees bringing an interpreter out to the mound in last night 's game have brought some backlash. Big deal? No big deal?

Not a big deal. You have many international players and some of them need a translator.

Was it Chapman?

I can't comment on Remy's comments, I don't know what he said; however, a professional ball player is not hired based on his skills in English, and IMO there should be no backlash when an interpreter is necessary.

BTW, much of baseball is carried out by non verbal signs, and telling someone to "Throw Strikes" is something all pitchers at the professional level will understand, no matter their native language.

I don't know. If the rules of MLB don't allow him on the mound, then it is big deal. If the rules don't cover it, then not a big deal.

Last edited:
Wonder how many times the Marxists will use the words "disavow", "condemn" and "controversy" in writing about this.
And then the groveling apology. But I don't feel sorry for anyone who works in the media or sports. They know they are required to self censor.

Self-criticism - Wikipedia

Wonder how many times the Marxists will use the words "disavow", "condemn" and "controversy" in writing about this.
And then the groveling apology. But I don't feel sorry for anyone who works in the media or sports. They know they are required to self censor.

Self-criticism - Wikipedia

We got all of five posts in before some dickhead in need of a life tried to make it political. Gotta be a new record.

Meanwhile back at the actual topic --- related story here.

Who cares if a guy needs an interpreter?

Do American ballplayers playing in Japan get interpreters?

Charlie Manuel played in Japan and while there learned to speak Japanese. At least enough to play the game.

On the other hand Fernando Valenzuela (for one) understood very little or no English when he started pitching for the LAD.

Jerry still around? Wow. Watched him take a Nolan Ryan no hitter into the 7th by diving into the gap and throwing the batter out while on his back. 2nd base umpire even clapped.

During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into the 160-pound Chacón, who spoke only Spanish.

Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" which is "I've got it" in Spanish. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by 200-pound left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish and had missed a team meeting that proposed using the words "¡Yo la tengo!" as a way to avoid outfield collisions.[1] After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn, "What the hell is a Yellow Tango?".[2] The band, Yo La Tengo, gets its name from this baseball anecdote

During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into the 160-pound Chacón, who spoke only Spanish.

Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" which is "I've got it" in Spanish. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by 200-pound left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish and had missed a team meeting that proposed using the words "¡Yo la tengo!" as a way to avoid outfield collisions.[1] After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn, "What the hell is a Yellow Tango?".[2] The band, Yo La Tengo, gets its name from this baseball anecdote

Thank you for not posting this message this morning when I was drinking my coffee, it's a pain in the ass to clean the screen when I LOL with my mouth is full.

And of course, the perfunctory apology was given on the air at the start of last nights game.

I don't know. If the rules of MLB don't allow him on the mound, then it is big deal. If the rules don't cover it, then not a big deal.

As of the beginning of last year all 30 MLB teams are required to have a Spanish-English interpreter on staff to handle communication with Spanish-speaking players who are not proficient enough in English, including interviews, team meetings and mound visits.

Of course there are also Japanese and Korean players who generally bring their own translators, often included with their contract package. Can't tell what language was in question in the cited case, since the OP didn't supply a link, having somehow ass-umed everyone would just magically 'know' what he was talking about via some ethereal osmosis. But if the mandatory interpreter is allowed for mound visits, a non-mandatory (e.g.) Korean one should be too.

Forum List

Back