Bastard Out of Carolina

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I just finished reading Bastard Out of Carolina and it's hard to stop thinking about. Great book! Tough ending.

Anyone else read it?

Don't know whether to hate Anney or feel sorry for her.
Back when my job was to protect the Boneses of the world, the Annies used to puzzle me more than anything. I couldn't understand for the life of me. I guess it depends on just how much you love/need that man, huh?

Back when my job was to protect the Boneses of the world, the Annies used to puzzle me more than anything. I couldn't understand for the life of me. I guess it depends on just how much you love/need that man, huh?

I think it depends more on why they think they love/need that man. I don't know if someone with a realistic idea of their worth, compared to their self worth would do the same.

..I guess being a bastard in the old days was more taboo than today

I think it depends more on why they think they love/need that man. I don't know if someone with a realistic idea of their worth, compared to their self worth would do the same.
I'm not sure what that means.

..I guess being a bastard in the old days was more taboo than today
No kidding. It was funny when everyone in town looked up smiling and thought of Annie when the courthouse burned down.

..humans are kind of screwed:
..sex is a very powerful ''need''
withou it t--no humans
..but, it is comes with enormous responsibility = raising a baby responsibly
..so, out of wedlock sex ''''should''' be frowned upon......??....

withou it t--no humans
Dang, you can be judgy, harmonica. Did you even read the book? Good books let you understand a situation from a different perspective. Not to judge, but to understand.

withou it t--no humans
Dang, you can be judgy, harmonica. Did you even read the book? Good books let you understand a situation from a different perspective. Not to judge, but to understand.
??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
of course I did NOT read the book
I'm commenting on out of wedlock/etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I would discuss civilly--and add to your thread
just trying to have a civil discussion
WTF??!!!

withou it t--no humans
??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF??!!!
Why "of course not?"
And thank you for contributing, but this forum is about books you've read.

withou it t--no humans
??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF??!!!
Why "of course not?"
ok then screw you
I thought I'd be nice and help out your thread
your book IS about BASTARDS-----yes or no???!!!!!!!!

withou it t--no humans
??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTF??!!!
Why "of course not?"
ok then screw you
I thought I'd be nice and help out your thread
your book IS about BASTARDS-----yes or no???!!!!!!!!
No. It's not about bastards. It's about human beings. And once again, thanks for playing, but you're in the wrong thread.

That was worded pretty bad, wasn't it? I suspect a woman must think she isn't worth more than what she might receive from a relationship like that to stay in it.

That was worded pretty bad, wasn't it? I suspect a woman must think she isn't worth more than what she might receive from a relationship like that to stay in it.
That's the heart of the book alright--worth. Annie was all heart and all need, just like her daughter, but she was missing Bones' rage at being poor, at being labeled "trash." Ironically, it was Annie's constant love that gave Bones the strength to fight back against those who said she had no worth, to at least be pissed about it. Annie just accepted it and kept seeking the world's approval. In her mind, she needed to make Glen into what the world would want, I think, a good husband. She couldn't see him for who he was. She NEEDED to make him something else, something better.

Poor damned Bones. Why do some of the best girls' coming of age stories include rape?

That's the heart of the book alright--worth. Annie was all heart and all need, just like her daughter, but she was missing Bones' rage at being poor, at being labeled "trash." Ironically, it was Annie's constant love that gave Bones the strength to fight back against those who said she had no worth, to at least be pissed about it. Annie just accepted it and kept seeking the world's approval. In her mind, she needed to make Glen into what the world would want, I think, a good husband. She couldn't see him for who he was. She NEEDED to make him something else, something better.

Poor damned Bones. Why do some of the best girls' coming of age stories include rape?

Just as she needed to make Bones into something other than a bastard. I suspect that was just as much for Annie's sake as it was for Bones.

Just as she needed to make Bones into something other than a bastard. I suspect that was just as much for Annie's sake as it was for Bones.
To you, this was really Annie's story, wasn't it?

To you, this was really Annie's story, wasn't it?

I wouldn't say that, but neither was it just Bone's story either.

Forum List

Back