Beating (Some) "Swords" Into "Plowshares"!

Mr. Shaman

May 4, 2010
Go ahead, Republicans.

This is your cue to go ballistic over wasted Federal Buck$!!!

March 13, 2013

Cheap, Clean Water

"Access to clean drinking water is increasingly seen as a major global security issue. Competition for water is likely to lead to instability and potential state failure in countries important to the United States, according to a U.S. intelligence community report last year.

"Between now and 2040, fresh water availability will not keep up with demand absent more effective management of water resources," the report said. "Water problems will hinder the ability of key countries to produce food and generate electricity."

Notaro said Lockheed expects to have a prototype by the end of the year for a filter that could be used as a drop-in replacement for filters now used in reverse osmosis plants.

The company is looking for partners in the filter manufacturing arena to help it commercialize Perforene as a filter in the 2014-2015 time frame, he said.

Lockheed officials see other applications for Perforene as well, from dialysis in healthcare to cleaning chemicals from the water used in hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," of oil and gas wells."

:clap2: . :clap2: . :clap2: . :clap2:

Another crisis to exploit? or a commercial for Lockheed?

Typical "conservative" response!!

handjob.gif

Yeah.....we wouldn't want to see this as a way to AVOID more Wars, for RESOURCES, in the future!!!

Last edited:

Yeah.....we wouldn't want to see this as a way to AVOID more Wars, for RESOURCES, in the future!!!

(Extraneous bullshit edited out to preserve the vision and sanity of others)

It may well be a revolutionary advance. I have some experience with membranes and reverse osmosis, so I'm interested, BUT the line saying Lockheed is looking for partners, signals to me that they are looking for a government hand-out to fund research and a pilot plant.

obama owes them a BIG favor. How will they be repaid?

(Extraneous bullshit edited out to preserve the vision and sanity of others)

It may well be a revolutionary advance. I have some experience with membranes and reverse osmosis, so I'm interested, BUT the line saying Lockheed is looking for partners, signals to me that they are looking for a government hand-out....

It sounds, to ME, like Lockheed is lookin' for someone....in the private-economy....to help finance & PROFIT from going commercial!!

You "conservatives" really do need to get-over your martyr-complex.

303.gif

Thinking ahead and avoiding future costs by spending today on good programs is something the right is incapable of doing.

They see it as UnAmerican for some reason

Thinking ahead and avoiding future costs by spending today on good programs is something the right is incapable of doing.

I'm guessing long-term investments (like education) have been elevated to being another o' those "evils" they warn-about.

So, longtime Defense Contractor want use Taxpayer money to develop a product that they will then sell worldwide for huge profits, none of which will "trickle down" to the American People. Is that about right?

I have only one question: Is that Capitalism? :confused:

So, longtime Defense Contractor want use Taxpayer money to develop a product that they will then sell worldwide for huge profits, none of which will "trickle down" to the American People. Is that about right?

I have only one question: Is that Capitalism? :confused:
Try to catch-up, a little-bit......

"Among the scenarios that concern security planners is the melting of the massive Himalayan ice mass. In theory, the rivers fed by the Himalayan glaciers would flood at first, then dry up once the glaciers retreat. That would endanger tens of millions of people in lowland Bangladesh.

Retired Air Marshal A.K. Singh, a former commander in India's air force, foresees mass migrations across national borders, with militaries soon becoming involved.

"It will initially be people fighting for food and shelter," Singh says. "When the migration starts, every state would want to stop the migrations from happening. Eventually, it would have to become a military conflict. Which other means do you have to resolve your border issues?"

In the short term, climate change may be a more important subject for intelligence officials than for military planners.

Analysts at the National Intelligence Council are trying to develop a set of early warning signs that could suggest where the next famine might arise or which countries are in most danger of being destabilized as a result of dramatic climate changes. Intelligence officials put those countries on a "stability watch list."

:eusa_eh:

Last edited:

Not at all, you idiot. I'm a capitalist who believes that the government should not be choosing winners and losers. Solyndra????

Liberals cry all the time that they want the government out of their bedrooms. Capitalists want the government out of their board rooms as well.

The concept that paying interest-only on a perpetual loan is not a future cost escapes the liberal mind. The liberal way is to tax, tax, tax...then when the people have no more ability to pay tax, you simply print more money.

The connotation of "good" varies greatly. Solyndra was "good"...along with several other "good" programs that Obozo gave mucho monies (our tax money) even as the companies were filing bankruptcy petitions...:eusa_whistle:

I'm guessing long-term investments (like education) have been elevated to being another o' those "evils" they warn-about.

Thanks to government education expenditures, most graduating students in Washington DC cannot comprehend enough to get a job that requires thought.

That's money well spent?

For the government to increase the intelligence of its constituents is to invite resistance and decrease the ability to control them.

Not at all, you idiot. I'm a capitalist who believes that the government should not be choosing winners and losers. Solyndra????

Liberals cry all the time that they want the government out of their bedrooms. Capitalists want the government out of their board rooms as well.

So who do you think should address the more long term issues considering that corporations are only looking ahead a fiscal quarter or two?

So who do you think should address the more long term issues considering that corporations are only looking ahead a fiscal quarter or two?

Lockheed didn't get where they are by ONLY looking at quarterly income, but apparently Solyndra, did.

Lockheed didn't get where they are by ONLY looking at quarterly income, but apparently Solyndra, did.

Lockheed is part of a corporate culture that has evolved over a very long time. They were born in a time when corporations did look long term but have now become dependent upon their relationship with the defense department. Having worked in the defense industry, I've seen the ways in which corporations are kept viable through tactics like the $600 hammer. That frees them to look short term for any kind of maximally profitable ventures.

deadhorse.gif

853.gif

Forum List

Back