Beverage giants Coke and Pepsi driving worldwide plastic crisis, study claims

The bottles don't pollute.
The people that buy them - and don't recycle them - do.
Recycling is a scam.
Most ends up in a landfill.
Countries are no longer accepting our waste.

Most of the plastics produced are not suitable for recycling.

I can remember as a little kid in the 80s being able to buy six or eight packs of soda in glass bottles. Earlier than that milk used to come in glass bottles. What changed? Is it the cost of production?

The single biggest corporate source of branded plastic pollution was the Coca-Cola Company, which accounted for a whopping 11 percent of all branded plastic waste recorded in the global survey. PepsiCo came in second at five percent, followed by Nestlé (3%), Danone (3%), and Altria — one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of tobacco, cigarettes, and related products (2%).

In total, those five companies were responsible for nearly one-quarter (24%) of all the branded plastic pollution documented worldwide over the five-year study. Taking a deeper dive into the world’s litter problem, just 56 companies produced over half of the plastic pollution identified in the audits.

I don't understand why every state doesn't put mandatory deposits on all drink bottles, plastic or glass. I used to make a lot of money going around collecting bottles as a kid. And let the deposit be significant. I'm not sure what the number should be but at least a dime per bottle seems right.

I don't understand why every state doesn't put mandatory deposits on all drink bottles, plastic or glass. I used to make a lot of money going around collecting bottles as a kid. And let the deposit be significant. I'm not sure what the number should be but at least a dime per bottle seems right.

Our entire summers were spent looking for pop bottles and taking the deposit money and blowing it on candy.

I love it. It was something special and it beat the hell out of staying inside and playing stupid video games all summer!

I can remember as a little kid in the 80s being able to buy six or eight packs of soda in glass bottles. Earlier than that milk used to come in glass bottles. What changed? Is it the cost of production?

The single biggest corporate source of branded plastic pollution was the Coca-Cola Company, which accounted for a whopping 11 percent of all branded plastic waste recorded in the global survey. PepsiCo came in second at five percent, followed by Nestlé (3%), Danone (3%), and Altria — one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of tobacco, cigarettes, and related products (2%).

In total, those five companies were responsible for nearly one-quarter (24%) of all the branded plastic pollution documented worldwide over the five-year study. Taking a deeper dive into the world’s litter problem, just 56 companies produced over half of the plastic pollution identified in the audits.

Whine, complain, gripe, disparage --truly the sport of kings on this forum.

Of course the only other option is saying what you want, but then you'd have to put up w/ all the the environmentalists complaining about whatever solution you proposed. You could say that the gov't must mandate glass bottles --and then you'd hear all about the environmental impact of glass bottles. You could demand redeemable deposits for plastic bottles only to see the deposit payer having to toss the plastic in the garbage. Some say we need to burn the plastic and add more CO2 to the atmosphere. A study in Scotland complained about landfills and the plastic contaminating that ground water.

Then again, maybe just leaving it at whining, complaining, griping, and disparaging isn't such a bad idea after all --if you don't mind sounding like a helpless ninny I guess...

Who is going to hold the dirty bottles? Where?
What are they going to do with them?

Our entire summers were spent looking for pop bottles and taking the deposit money and blowing it on candy.

I love it. It was something special and it beat the hell out of staying inside and playing stupid video games all summer!

There were no video games when I did it. There was barely color TV in our neighborhood.

Forum List

Back