Big Brother Alert!

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Advertisers will be able to suit their commercials to what you're doing in your living room.

Cuddled up on the couch? Cue His/Her KY-Jelly commercial.

Eating? Here comes the Stouffer's ad.

:eusa_eh:

Source

It hardly gets more Orwellian than this. New technology would allow cable companies to peer directly into television watchers’ homes and monitor viewing habits and reactions to product advertisements.
The technology would come via the cable box, and at least one lawmaker on Capitol Hill is standing in opposition.
:eek::eek:

Uh, i'm calling bullshit. Cable providers would lose millions of customers if they put cameras in their cable boxes, which is why it will never happen.

Uh, i'm calling bullshit. Cable providers would lose millions of customers if they put cameras in their cable boxes, which is why it will never happen.

There was a time I would say the same thing, but.......

The American public is always surprising me

This conspiracy theory is an old one, from around '08 or '09.

And the expense involved with shooting individual ads into every tv in the viewing area would be astronomical.

This conspiracy theory is an old one, from around '08 or '09.

And the expense involved with shooting individual ads into every tv in the viewing area would be astronomical.

I only put it in the CT forum because of its ramifications but it isn't a "theory"

From the linked story:
Mass. Democratic Rep. Michael Capuano has introduced a bill, the We Are Watching You Act, to prohibit the technology on boxes and collection of information absent consumer permission.

I only put it in the CT forum because of its ramifications but it isn't a "theory"

From the linked story:
Mass. Democratic Rep. Michael Capuano has introduced a bill, the We Are Watching You Act, to prohibit the technology on boxes and collection of information absent consumer permission.
A legislator introducing a bill to prohibit something is hardly evidence of it being something that exists, see Kucinich's bill about chem trails, plasma weapons, etc.

I don't doubt the technology is available, I just question whether it is a realistic threat since consumers would never accept it.

Advertisers will be able to suit their commercials to what you're doing in your living room.

Cuddled up on the couch? Cue His/Her KY-Jelly commercial.

Eating? Here comes the Stouffer's ad.

:eusa_eh:

Source

It hardly gets more Orwellian than this. New technology would allow cable companies to peer directly into television watchers’ homes and monitor viewing habits and reactions to product advertisements.
The technology would come via the cable box, and at least one lawmaker on Capitol Hill is standing in opposition.
:eek::eek:
How's this a "conspiracy"?

Forum List

Back