Bloods March in Ferguson

Welcome back William Joyce! You gonna' stick around after the software conversion I hope?

Holder orders autopsy on Brown...
:eusa_shifty:
State officials defend Ferguson actions as Justice Department orders new autopsy
August 17 . — The federal government on Sunday took on an intensified role in investigating the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black teenager, as Missouri officials defended their tough response to continuing protests and looting in this St. Louis suburb.
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. issued a terse statement ordering an independent autopsy of Michael Brown by a federal medical examiner — the third autopsy of the 18-year-old. The Justice Department took the action in response to what spokesman Brian Fallon called “the extraordinary circumstances involved in this case” and requests from Brown’s family. Brown was killed Aug. 9 by a white police officer, Darren Wilson. Following a chaotic Saturday night marked by gun violence, clouds of tear gas and the deployment of armored vehicles on Ferguson’s streets, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon (D) stood behind his decision to order a midnight-to-5 a.m. curfew. The shooting of Brown has made the town of 21,000 the epicenter of a national debate about race, justice and the use of force in African American communities. “Last night’s curfew — I think everybody worked well,” Nixon said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “We’re always disappointed when things aren’t perfect. But thousands of people spoke last night, thousands of people marched, and [there was] not a single gunshot fired by a member of law enforcement last night.”

Capt. Ronald Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol, who is overseeing security in Ferguson and had earlier mingled with protesters, took a new tack Sunday, calling the police response “proper” and saying he was “disappointed” in the actions of the demonstrators. The curfew was expected to be extended into Sunday night, as Nixon had not revoked his standing executive order imposing one. At a rally Sunday evening at Greater Grace Church in Ferguson, Michael Brown Sr. wore a T-shirt that said, “No Justice No Peace.” It had a photo of his son as a baby on the front. The church was packed to overflowing, and cars were lined up outside for more than a mile. Benjamin Crump, the attorney representing the family, said that Michael Brown’s parents did not want to speak. “It is just a heavy heart they’ve been dealing with,” he said. “Nobody volunteers this position. Nobody wakes up and says, ‘I want to be the mother of a child executed in broad daylight.’ No matter how they try to distract us, we know there was an execution.”

A man who identified himself as a family member said that Brown “was a son and uncle and nephew. He was not alone, but that is how he was killed. This was the last act our family member made before he was put to rest. “This,” he added, putting his hands up in the air, “this will be stuck in our family’s memories for all our lives.” The Rev. Al Sharpton, who attended the rally, said the family is calling for the federal government to take over the case, “because if you look at what the police chief did, how can you trust the local authorities?” He told the crowd that the investigation will be a defining moment in the country’s justice system. “In all my life, I’ve never seen anything more despicable than the police chief releasing a tape to disparage Michael Brown’s name while his mother is still weeping,” Sharpton said, referring to a convenience store security tape that police said showed Brown stealing cigars. “This young man hadn’t even been buried. Then they come out and say [the incident] had nothing to do with the shooting. Then why did you put it out? I saw the tape of a young man who might be shoplifting. There’s a difference between robbing and shoplifting. This issue is not whether he shoplifted. The issue is about a young man with no due process who was shot multiple times.”

MORE

Forum List

Back