🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

BREAKING: FDA to ban trans-fats

I'll tell you what difference it makes. I won't miss trans fat at all because I avoid it as much as possible. But the fact that the government chooses to ban it, not because it is a poisonous or toxic substance or harmful in small amounts, but because they just want to ban it because somebody might eat too much of it and they can.

And where does that stop? Why not regulate salt? Sugar? Refined flour? And all the other stuff that is bad for us if we consume too much of it? Where do you draw the line on what the government will be allowed to do to dictate every aspect of your life?

Remember. Kathleen Sebelius is in charge of Health and Human Services with authority to ban whatever. How is her track record so far with that agency?

The FDA commissioner is Margaret Hamburg MD who really doesn't appear to be a bad choice. But Kathleen Sebelius is her boss. I would be much happier of Hamburg was head of Health and Human Services but alas, she simply didn't pull the political clout that Sebelius had.

The Deputy Commissioner of the FDA is former Monsanto VP and head lobbyist Michael Taylor. Does that inspire a great deal of confidence folks?

Foxfyre, you raise the point. To let a bunch of government dumb shits decide what is best for the country is a recipe into hell. They need to mind their own business and leave Americans alone.

I'll tell you what difference it makes. I won't miss trans fat at all because I avoid it as much as possible. But the fact that the government chooses to ban it, not because it is a poisonous or toxic substance or harmful in small amounts, but because they just want to ban it because somebody might eat too much of it and they can.

And where does that stop? Why not regulate salt? Sugar? Refined flour? And all the other stuff that is bad for us if we consume too much of it? Where do you draw the line on what the government will be allowed to do to dictate every aspect of your life?

Remember. Kathleen Sebelius is in charge of Health and Human Services with authority to ban whatever. How is her track record so far with that agency?

The FDA commissioner is Margaret Hamburg MD who really doesn't appear to be a bad choice. But Kathleen Sebelius is her boss. I would be much happier of Hamburg was head of Health and Human Services but alas, she simply didn't pull the political clout that Sebelius had.

The Deputy Commissioner of the FDA is former Monsanto VP and head lobbyist Michael Taylor. Does that inspire a great deal of confidence folks?

Definitely not, Fox. I signed that petition long ago protesting that appointment and have railed about it here. But that doesn't mean any particular action, taken by itself, is tainted.

And again as noted earlier, what you're calling a "ban" would be simply the removal from the GRAS list, which would subject said additives to the food additive tolerance requirements established by the FFDCA, from which, by presence on the GRAS list, they are now exempt. Naturally they wouldn't pass that test, nor should they, since neither the FDA nor you nor me nor anyone that's commented here sees no value in them whatsoever, while plenty of harm has been demonstrated.

And again Foxy - the GRAS list has been protecting our foods since 1958, and the federal government was screening for dangerous ingredients in the public food supplies over a hundred years before that -- so how come all of a sudden we're jumping up and down for the right to be poisoned NOW? Doesn't make any sense.

From the FDA press release:
>> "One of the FDA’s core regulatory functions is ensuring that food, including all substances added to food, is safe,” said Michael Taylor, the FDA’s deputy commissioner for foods and veterinary medicine. “Food manufacturers have voluntarily decreased trans fat levels in many foods in recent years, but a substantial number of products still contain partially hydrogenated oils, which are the major source of trans fat in processed food.”

Following a review of the submitted comments, if the FDA finalizes its preliminary determination, PHOs would be considered &#8220;food additives&#8221; and could not be used in food unless authorized by regulation. If such a determination were made, the agency would provide adequate time for producers to reformulate products in order to minimize market disruption. The FDA&#8217;s preliminary determination is only with regard to PHOs and does not affect trans fat that naturally occurs in small amounts in certain meat and dairy products. << (PHOs = 'partially hydrogenated oils')

Last edited:

Foxfyre, you raise the point. To let a bunch of government dumb shits decide what is best for the country is a recipe into hell. They need to mind their own business and leave Americans alone.

Uh--- it IS their business. That's what FDA does. It's the entire point of having an entity that ensures safety of food, drugs and cosmetics.

DUH!

Last edited:
Actually pretty well, Answer-man. :thup:
I'm sure you like to pretend that. :lol:
I wouldn't know about the 'talking down' bit -- you mean like "you want the government to make all your decisions for you"? Or like "weak minded"? Or both?
Doesn't seem efficacious to me. How's it working out for you?
Pointing out the reality of progressivism is working great.

Of course, some people get all pissy. :lmao:

I wouldn't know about the 'talking down' bit -- you mean like "you want the government to make all your decisions for you"? Or like "weak minded"? Or both?

Oh yeah I noticed. I told that guy to self-copulate. He hasn't come back. :thup:

Oh yeah I noticed. I told that guy to self-copulate. He hasn't come back. :thup:
You sure do lead a rich fantasy life.

You're too kind, but nah. Rich fantasy would be seeing sudden comic book conspiracy in the FDA because it's doing the same job it and its ancestors been doing since 1848. I don't even know how to approach that level. :(

Confidence in what? that transfats are bad for you and they better be eliminated from the food? I don't need the government officials to tell me that - I already know it.

even the broken clock gets the time right twice a day :)

Butter is 100 percent better for you than margarine.

True story.

good Lord, even our grand-grand-grandmothers knew that without a double-blinded randomized controlled trials proving the obvious :D

margarine was called " butter for poor" for a reason.

I'm not from the south, I stay away from butter and many milk products, they are unhealthy for a diet.

they are very healthy.
unless you have lactose intolerance or some other dairy-related enzyme deficiencies.
But for a healthy person all of the above is very good food.

People of Asian and African origin have a bit different genetic composition than those of European origin - and often lack the enzymes needed for the metabolism of dairy products.
For those people dairy products might be problematic and should be avoided, obviously.

You're too kind, but nah. Rich fantasy would be seeing sudden comic book conspiracy in the FDA because it's doing the same job it and its ancestors been doing since 1848. I don't even know how to approach that level. :(
Yes, we've already established that you see nothing wrong with the government running your life.

BBC News - US moves to ban trans fats in foods

But you are still free to have HIV and fuck dudes up the ass

What does homosexuality and trans fats have to do with each other?

Nothing whatsoever.

My theory is that NovaSteve, who's notorious for his obsession with transsexuals, saw the word "trans" and his eyes bugged out. He posted the thread and stayed for ten posts before it dawned on him that it wasn't a sex story.

After that he got bored and left to go keep his gloryhole appointment.

BBC News - US moves to ban trans fats in foods

But you are still free to have HIV and fuck dudes up the ass

What does homosexuality and trans fats have to do with each other?

Nothing whatsoever.

My theory is that NovaSteve, who's notorious for his obsession with transsexuals, saw the word "trans" and his eyes bugged out. He posted the thread and stayed for ten posts before it dawned on him that it wasn't a sex story.

After that he got bored and left to go keep his gloryhole appointment.

You make me laugh so hard sometimes, Pogo.:eek:

Uh--- it IS their business. That's what FDA does. It's the entire point of having an entity that ensures safety of food, drugs and cosmetics.

DUH!

They ensure nothing. Why do they allow tobacco?

I never brought up tobacco. You did. Nor does ACA have squat to do with any of this.

Do you not know how to construct a rational argument at all?? Assuming not, why are you here?

DUMBASS - I brought up tobacco! And I'll post anything I damn well please. Answer the damned question.

Go fuck yourself. There's your answer.

I don't think so dick head. And that is no answer.

DUMBASS - I brought up tobacco! And I'll post anything I damn well please. Answer the damned question.

He is a typical liberal, thinks government is responsible. When you bring up how they are paid off by the tobacco industry, he gets pissy, he knows government only cares about money. Not the welfare of its people.

He is a typical liberal, thinks government is responsible. When you bring up how they are paid off by the tobacco industry, he gets pissy, he knows government only cares about money. Not the welfare of its people. If a lobby for tran fat offered enough money, they would be okay with government. That's why they never attempted to do anything until enough people got upset. Money rules the government.

Forum List

Back