Build.

Interesting. My customers are large corporations. I too shared our intention to build in India with these partners. Not a problem. But I get your point. If the bottom line was negatively effected by an overseas operation, this would considered in the cost analysis by any reasonable manager. Yet, we keep building overseas. It would appear the the negative feedback is outweighed by the onerous costs, taxes and regulations in the US.

See a pattern here?

Oh, and grow up.

This is the thing about "wealth" extractors. They think very short term..as in "What's in it for me". They do so regardless of the long term consequences.

Think about it.

You are giving work to people who are highly educated and are working for pennies on the dollar.

What do you think is going to happen in the short term and in the long term?

Short term I can see:
-Resentment over higher paid counter parts overseas.
-Malfeasance or corruption in the work place.
-Overall poor performance.

Note: I've really seen these things in real life.

Long term I see:
-American counterparts opting to go into other lines of work.
-An overall "Brain Drain".

Note: And I am seeing this occur as we speak.

If you think it's a good thing to relocate overseas for some short term profit..so be it.

But in the long run..it's going to bite hard.

Oh and you first.

First, it's not "pennies on the dollar" to them...it's not even dollars, it's rupees, and a damn good living. Secondly, I have done this before and have seen none of your short term consequences. Not a one. Lastly, if "brain drain" is a reality long term, well that would be yet another reason to lower corporate taxes and onerous regulations, wouldn't it? Remember I really wanted to build in the US but that is not financially feasible. If the cost analysis were even close, I'd take the chance and build here. As it stands, it's nowhere in the ballpark. Perhaps we can change that at the ballot box in 2012. We'll see. I would happily locate the next business here if it makes any financial sense to do so.

What exactly do you build?

This is a real world project I was involved in..

http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/Mahwah Migration Arca Options.pdf

Do you like build stuff..then run?

Because industry wide I've heard and seen some pretty nutty stories about working with "talent" in places like India, China and the Philppines.

Last edited:
Great! Now... the logistics on HOW are the problem. You've got to do more than:

1. Decide to Build
2. Then a miracle occurs because we don't know how.
3. Profit!

What are the logistics to 'building'? What are you going to build? What is of such a benefit that it will cause people to risk their time, skill and capital in this nation to build?

People don't build for altruism, so they must profit by their work. How are you going to reassure them that their work will not be for naught, stolen away from them by the greedy entitlement junkies and government to misuse?

Pretty short term thinking.

Sorta like Christie with the tunnel project.

Of course he was right..New Jersey doesn't have a kabillion dollars..

But over the long term..people will move to Jersey in droves because they want to work in NYC but can't afford to live there.
Heh, some sour grapes it sounds like.

How about Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere"? A half a billion dollar suspension bridge that less than 1000 people would use in a month .... or was it a year?

He who decides to build first counts the cost... as WELL as the return.

And right now, hate to break it to you, this nation is a bad investment all the way around. Maybe after Obama's removed from office and the senate goes conservative. We'll see then.

Funny you mention the "Bridge to Nowhere" because Alaska didn't wind up returning the money. In fact they still built the road that was going to the bridge. Only now there is no bridge.

And I hate to break it to you..this nation is a great investment. It's one of the safest, least corrupt and well built countries in the world.

First, it's not "pennies on the dollar" to them...it's not even dollars, it's rupees, and a damn good living. Secondly, I have done this before and have seen none of your short term consequences. Not a one. Lastly, if "brain drain" is a reality long term, well that would be yet another reason to lower corporate taxes and onerous regulations, wouldn't it? Remember I really wanted to build in the US but that is not financially feasible. If the cost analysis were even close, I'd take the chance and build here. As it stands, it's nowhere in the ballpark. Perhaps we can change that at the ballot box in 2012. We'll see. I would happily locate the next business here if it makes any financial sense to do so.

You originally complained about having to get healthcare for your employees and that you had to pay them more then you think you do. I'll ask again, why are you in favor of making someone accept a wage that they could not possibly live on? Maybe you don't believe that directly. But by moving operations to India, you pretty much imply that you think low wages and no healthcare for your employees is moral and the right thing to do.

Answer that question before you move onto the bottom line.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me so much of Obama.

Give a pretty speech of ideas with no plan...

...and then personally attack anyone who dares to criticizes it.

a.

Yea, the guy working in the other room, right now, as a matter of fact. Want his website?

Are you saying the Southeast US is all dried up? Nothing is open? There's no commerce?

Sure, give me his website address.

I have 30 employees that are working about 20 hours a week right now. Heck, I guess I could lay off 15 of them and let the other 15 work 40, isn't that how liberals see things??

I could lay off all 30 and start a pizza business, yea, that's a great idea. :)
I could go into the window breaking business At least I know those pizza parlors have insurance to cover the loss, and then the glass companies have something to do!

What a great opportunity! :rolleyes:

I'm with you Nature. To libs, the devil is in the logistical details of doing the job. Like two old fools sitting on the porch playing checkers.

Ole fool 1: "You know, this country would be much better off if just built more."
Ole fool 2: "Yep. I think you're on to something there."
SFX: Crickets chirping
Ole Fools continue playing checkers for another hour.
Ole fool 1: "Well why hasn't anything changed yet? I said we should build more?"
Ole fool 2: "I blame Bush, the tea party and rich white folk."
Ole fool 1: "Yep. that must be the reason."

Fin
Ole Fools Part Deux:

The 2 old fools sit on the porch considering how to improve business for the store.

Ole Fool 1: "You know, if they would just make this dirt road into an 8 lane highway with a tunnel through the hill to the Possom Lake boat launch, I'm sure my business would improve."

Ole Fool 2: "Yep."

SFX: Crickets Chirping for a few minutes

Ole Fool 2: "Say, isn't Possom Lake protected?"

Ole Fool 1: "Yep. Nobody's allowed on the water cuz of the green bellied snail sucker."

Ole Fool 2: "So how many people use the boat landing over there anymore?"

Ole Fool 1: " Nobody but the DNR agent who arrests anyone trying to use the boat landing."

SFX: More crickets and a bullfrog croaking

Ole Fool 2: "Yep, I bet an 8 lane highway would be enough then."

Ole Fool 1: "Yep. Get some construction workers in here for a while. It'll make it crazy around here. But then when they're all done, things will return back to normal."

Ole Fool 2: "Yep. And it'll sure be pretty to look at. Might even see a car every once in a while too, then, won't we?"

Ole Fool 1: "Oh I dunno. Depends on if they need another DNR agent out at Possom Lake."

Fin

Your 'building dollars' at work providing for the future.

Pretty short term thinking.

Sorta like Christie with the tunnel project.

Of course he was right..New Jersey doesn't have a kabillion dollars..

But over the long term..people will move to Jersey in droves because they want to work in NYC but can't afford to live there.

How about Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere"? A half a billion dollar suspension bridge that less than 1000 people would use in a month .... or was it a year?

And right now, hate to break it to you, this nation is a bad investment all the way around. Maybe after Obama's removed from office and the senate goes conservative. We'll see then.

Funny you mention the "Bridge to Nowhere" because Alaska didn't wind up returning the money. In fact they still built the road that was going to the bridge. Only now there is no bridge.

And I hate to break it to you..this nation is a great investment. It's one of the safest, least corrupt and well built countries in the world.
Except for the government corruption, you'd possibly be right. Then why didn't the feds take back the money? Oh that's right, the slush known as the Federal Highway Fund. Prevent waste? Why without Waste we'd have no reason to exist!

Last edited:
Yep.

Simple as that.

The United States needs to build.

We are a nation of innovators, dreamers, and builders.

Time to shake off the crust and do what we do best.

Build.

Considering the ever-growing inventory of foreclosed property we have, I doubt we will be doing much building any time soon.

Guess you missed the shake off the crust part.

You need a vacation.

I suggest Shanghai.

And when you come back..you can let me know..in no uncertain terms.

Why the Chinese are kicking our asses.

Shake off the crust/2 steps forward and then 20 back ... iMELT/GE sending 2 departments to china which will be in direct competition with the US not to mention 10 years down the road we will be crying about being behind in technology and wonder why and all this with a punch in the gut from the white house

Except for the government corruption, you'd possibly be right. Then why didn't the feds take back the money? Oh that's right, the slush known as the Federal Highway Fund. Prevent waste? Why without Waste we'd have no reason to exist!

I am all for campaign finance reform..I thought that McCain/Feingold was a great start.

The Citizen's United Decision is a blight on our poltical system.

What's your thoughts on this?

Considering the ever-growing inventory of foreclosed property we have, I doubt we will be doing much building any time soon.

You need a vacation.

I suggest Shanghai.

Shake off the crust/2 steps forward and then 20 back ... iMELT/GE sending 2 departments to china which will be in direct competition with the US not to mention 10 years down the road we will be crying about being behind in technology and wonder why and all this with a punch in the gut from the white house

From the sounds of it..GE must be the only company ever to engage in this sort of practice..since it seems to be the only company conservatives ever bring up.

Now why is that?

:lol:

I am all for campaign finance reform..I thought that McCain/Feingold was a great start.

Except for it's violation of the first amendment, the Incumbent Protection Act was an interesting theory.

Citizens United was probably the best thing possible for this nation. After all, why should unions and PACs have all the fun to buy candidates?

But this isn't about campaign finance reform. Nobody in politics wants it, particularly those profiting from the current corrupt system. If you really wanted to fix things and remain constitutional, you'd make all donations "hard" and require them to be openly registered to individuals given directly by a single person open for public scrutiny. No PACs, no organizations, no anonymous money of ANY kind.

Of course if you want to violate the first amendment, bar any and all private money from politics, force everyone to donate 10 dollars per year towards the campaign fund, and have it split equally between all candidates running every year. Of course then you'd have to violate all sorts of first amendment rights, but what the hell do we care??? :rolleyes:

Yep.

Simple as that.

The United States needs to build.

We are a nation of innovators, dreamers, and builders.

Time to shake off the crust and do what we do best.

Build.

build what?

More buildings that can sit empty? More roads that will cost billions over budget?

You need a vacation.

I suggest Shanghai.

From the sounds of it..GE must be the only company ever to engage in this sort of practice..since it seems to be the only company conservatives ever bring up.

Now why is that?

:lol:
If it wasn't for NAFTA, CAFTA, FTAA and most favored trade status to economic enemies, this wouldn't be a problem now, would it.

Who passed that schlock? Trade Globalists like Clinton and W. Repeal them all and we could then actually defend ourselves economcally. Of course kiss all your major retailers goodbye as their consumer goods dry up or quintuple in price because we don't manufacture things in this country much anymore. I'm sure the 2-4 years it'd take to get capacity up to snuff will be a breeze to handle.

Not to mention that the prices will NEVER drop back down to when we were importing from other nations... plus the global trade war that will occur. Hawley Smoot ring any bells? As much as I hate free trade with undeveloped or underdeveloped countries engaged in economic terrorism on us, there is no good solution.

Tell me. How many cell phones are manufactured in the US?

Last edited:

You originally complained about having to get healthcare for your employees and that you had to pay them more then you think you do. I'll ask again, why are you in favor of making someone accept a wage that they could not possibly live on? Maybe you don't believe that directly. But by moving operations to India, you pretty much imply that you think low wages and no healthcare for your employees is moral and the right thing to do.

Answer that question before you move onto the bottom line.

You're not even close. First, everyone I pay makes a hell of a lot more than what is necessary to live on. Secondly, I do not think private businesses should have anything to do with providing employees healthcare. Why not milk? How about tires? Anything else? Health insurance, like all products and services, should be purchased in the marketplace, not forced on employers to provide. This was yet another debacle from President Nixon.

Is it moral to pay a man what he is freely willing to work for? Yes. Is it moral leave the decision to buy health insurance up to the customer that desires that product? Yes.

So America is one of the safest, least corrupt and well built countries in the world.

It's not one of the safest places for the unborn. And corruption makes big, strong, healthy people believe they have a right to kill those little guys who can't fight the big, nasty, mean bullies back so they can live and be and enjoy the blessings of life.

Well built for who? Oh, yeah, the big nasty, mean bullies who decide they don't want the little guy in the womb for vanity's sake. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is any legislation that would be more beneficial to the country than real campaign reform, however I don't see how it can be done. With the Supreme Court siding with big corporations and special interest, legislators desire to maintain the status quote, and apathetic voters, I think it's almost hopeless.

GE sending 2 departments to china which will be in direct competition with the US

Uhm, actually no. See, this is what I was alluding to before. China has a huge demand for green energy. GE landed a massive contract a few years back to provide various pieces and parts of China's push to go green. Things like electric trains.

Now, if we were to focus on that in this country, actually building green energy alternatives that we could sell to China, that would create jobs and get the economy moving again, while at the same reducing the amount we owe China. Win/Win.

I know many of you think green energy is for Communists, but in this case, seriously, think about what you're saying.

Except for it's violation of the first amendment, the Incumbent Protection Act was an interesting theory.

Citizens United was probably the best thing possible for this nation. After all, why should unions and PACs have all the fun to buy candidates?

But this isn't about campaign finance reform. Nobody in politics wants it, particularly those profiting from the current corrupt system. If you really wanted to fix things and remain constitutional, you'd make all donations "hard" and require them to be openly registered to individuals given directly by a single person open for public scrutiny. No PACs, no organizations, no anonymous money of ANY kind.

Of course if you want to violate the first amendment, bar any and all private money from politics, force everyone to donate 10 dollars per year towards the campaign fund, and have it split equally between all candidates running every year. Of course then you'd have to violate all sorts of first amendment rights, but what the hell do we care??? :rolleyes:

Money is not speech..but you have some good ideas here. I am all for transparency on the donor end.

Personally I think a better way to reform the whole system is to require a mandatory campaign time frame of no more then 3 months before an election and strict limits on how much gets spent. That along with removing lobbyist's compensation and making it mandatory for an elected official to not take a position in area where that person lobbied for..for at least 5 years or so, would go a long way in cracking down on the corruption.

Forum List

Back