Building a cover for the generator...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Mrs Mo wants the gas generator set up by the patio door in case the power goes out this winter, so I'm building a simple wood cover out of scraps I have left over from building the shed.

Halved some 2x3s to make the frame and a piece of engineered utility outer shed sheathing for the sides.

Didn't get it done today but made good progress...

IMG_20221116_141827084.jpg

IMG_20221116_163504183.jpg

IMG_20221116_165529227.jpg

IMG_20221116_165817675.jpg

Got to trim those uprights ¼" so the top lays in flush screw the frame rails to the sides and paint at least the bottom eight inches as the wood isn't treated.

What size generator do you have?
We have 3 generators,one is your basic construction generator thats loud as all get out.
We also have a Honda eu2000 and a Honda eu7000.
I'm thinking about selling the construction generator since we got the eu7000 which puts out more juice and is extremely quiet.
It'll run one of the A/C units and a fridge and a freezer.
We thought about getting a whole house setup but in the 16 years we've lived here the power has only gone out one time for three days.
Once we move to the boonies I'd like a whole house unit that runs on propane.

We have 3 generators,one is your basic construction generator thats loud as all get out.
I'm thinking about selling the construction generator since we got the eu7000 which puts out more juice and is extremely quiet.
We thought about getting a whole house setup but in the 16 years we've lived here the power has only gone out one time for three days.
We have the Predator 9500 from HF for the house. It's loud...but I virtually stole it from Harbor Freights 5-day as-is corner at one of their parking lot sales. It was marked $400 and everything as-is was 50% off. Took a chance on it and it turned out to be low on oil which caused it not to start.

It's loud...but it runs almost everything Mrs Mo would need to make it comfortably for several days.

We live thirty miles from town and power goes out on occasion. We installed a whole house generator, 22KW Kohler that runs on propane. I wanted to protect it from the elements and reduce the sound pollution when it ran, so I constructed a shed around it. I left an air gap under the walls and installed vents under the eaves, but that is not sufficient to allow the heat to escape. Luckily, I also installed a 4' by 4' access door (similar to an open window) that I keep open when the generator is in use. My only advice if you are going to enclose your generator is to make sure you have adequate ventilation--it is amazing how hot these things get in a relatively short time.

With the problems associated with long term ethanol gasoline storage...that's about the only way to go.

The issue with propane is there is a 30% power generation loss between propane and gasoline.

View attachment 727349

Propane vs. Gas Generator - Midwest Generator Solutions
Cost of the fuel is also a consideration. That 27% loss can be recouped by the cost. Propane is running about $2.75 here while diesel and heating oil are over $5 and regular gas is about $4.25. In addition to that, as you've pointed out, the shelf life on the liquid fuels makes propane use optimal.

We live thirty miles from town and power goes out on occasion. We installed a whole house generator, 22KW Kohler that runs on propane. I wanted to protect it from the elements and reduce the sound pollution when it ran, so I constructed a shed around it. I left an air gap under the walls and installed vents under the eaves, but that is not sufficient to allow the heat to escape. Luckily, I also installed a 4' by 4' access door (similar to an open window) that I keep open when the generator is in use. My only advice if you are going to enclose your generator is to make sure you have adequate ventilation--it is amazing how hot these things get in a relatively short time.

Yeah...I've dealt with compressor covers at the fish camp before I bought the Honda.
You pretty much have to do something about the noise with the construction generators,the Honda is so quiet all you really need is something to keep it out of the weather.
The Honda is one heavy MoFo at a little over 300 lbs so getting it it in and out of the truck sucks and I'm not about to leave it at fish camp,at $5k it's just to expensive for that.
Seriously considering getting a topper for my Tundra and just leaving it in the back of the truck and bolting it down,that way it stays protected from the weather and I dont have to hassle with taking it in and out of the truck.

Yeah...I've dealt with compressor covers at the fish camp before I bought the Honda.
You pretty much have to do something about the noise with the construction generators,the Honda is so quiet all you really need is something to keep it out of the weather.
The Honda is one heavy MoFo at a little over 300 lbs so getting it it in and out of the truck sucks and I'm not about to leave it at fish camp,at $5k it's just to expensive for that.
Seriously considering getting a topper for my Tundra and just leaving it in the back of the truck and bolting it down,that way it stays protected from the weather and I dont have to hassle with taking it in and out of the truck.
Yeah, I've seen these Honda generators over the years and they have done a fantastic job at suppressing the sound. Another quiet one is the Wen. When you get to the higher wattage generators, I haven't found any that are particularly quiet. Better than being without power over an extended period though.

Forum List

Back