Caffeine withdrawal is now a mental disorder

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Philly.com @ Caffeine withdrawal is now a mental disorder | June 4, 2013 | Kelly O'Shea

Posted on Wednesday, June 05, 2013 7:30:39 AM by Phillyred

You gotta be kidding me!! Another absolutely ridiculous piece of garbage.

Ask anyone coming down from the high of one too many cups of coffee, and they'll tell you that the headaches from caffeine withdrawal can drive you crazy. So much so, that the latest version of psychiatry’s bible, DSM-5, is naming caffeine withdrawal as an actual mental disorder.

Read the full item at the above link.

But its not a disorder you get through no fault of your own - its the person's fault for drinking too much caffeine in the first place!

Soon everything will be a mental disorder!

Mebbe dat's why Uncle Ferd looks at Granny kinda strange sometimes...
:eusa_eh:
CDC: 'Nearly 50% of U.S. Adults Will Develop at Least One Mental Illness'
June 13, 2013 -- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention says that at any given moment about a quarter of American adults are mentally ill and that over the course of their lifetimes about half of all Americans will develop at least one mental illness.
A CDC mental-health fact sheet--Mental Illness Surveillance Among U.S. Adults--says that "published studies report that about 25% of all U.S. adults have a mental illness and that nearly 50% of U.S. adults will develop at least one mental illness during their lifetime.” The fact sheet also notes that the authors of a 2011 CDC mental health surveillance report pointed out that "currently, no surveillance efforts at the national or state level are directed toward documenting anxiety disorders." The authors thus call for "initiating national-level anxiety disorder surveillance activities."

Mental illness, says the CDC, “refers collectively to all diagnosable mental disorders” and that “the most common mental illnesses in adults are anxiety and mood disorders.” Mental illnesses effects "include sustained abnormal alterations in thinking, mood, or behavior associated with distress and impaired functioning." In addition, says the agency, "mental illness is associated with increased occurrence of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, epilepsy, and cancer." "The most common mental illnesses in adults are anxiety and mood disorders," says the fact sheet.

The CDC said: “Mental illness also is associated with use of tobacco products and alcohol abuse." The CDC published its most recent full surveillance report on mental illness among American adults on Sept. 2, 2011. That report said the categories, subcategories, and terminology of mental illness have varied over time. “For example," said the report, "terms used to describe depression have included major and minor depression, psychotic depression, depression not otherwise specified, bipolar disorder, dysthymia, moderate to severe depression, and mild depression. However, the relationship among the disorders described by these different terms often is unclear.”

The CDC noted that among the standard questionnaires used for collecting data on depression, people are asked: "Over the last 2 weeks, how often have you been bothered by any of the following problems? ... 1) little interest or pleasure in doing things; 2) feeling down, depressed, or hopeless; 3) trouble falling/staying asleep, sleeping too much; 4) feeling tired or having little energy; 5) poor appetite or overeating; 6) feeling bad about yourself or that you are a failure or have let yourself or your family down; 7) trouble concentrating on things, such as reading the newspaper or watching television; 8) moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed, or the opposite -- being so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual; and 9) (PHQ-9 only) thoughts that you would be better off dead or of hurting yourself in some way.”

- See more at: CDC: 'Nearly 50% of U.S. Adults Will Develop at Least One Mental Illness' | CNS News

Classified in order to have insurance pay for "treatment" all a scam to get someone to pay for individual's in ability to stay away from a cup o' Joe.....:coffee:

One day...one day soon, everything will have a 12 step program! :rofl:

Where's my coffee?

images

Oh I think that without doubt heavy caffine users who kick go through withdrawls symptoms.

I've gone through that myself a couple times when I've kicked my coffee habit

Headaches, lethargy, slightly confused thinking and short term depression seem to come with the CAFFINE DETOX process.

I drink about 10 -12 cups of very strong expresso daily, so you bet your ass when I stop drinking coffee entirely it effects me for at least a week or so.

Who here is not subject to caffine addiction?

I know some people can take or leave it but most of us habituate to some level and will feel the effect if we do not drink it.

The trend is to consider ordinary emotions as a form of mental illness.

When someone close to you, a loved one, dies, do you grieve? Grief is a mental illness.

Is grief mental illness? With psychiatric changes, maybe

Yes, severe grief can make a person act in a way they wouldn't normally.
But a person doesn't choose to grieve. A person chooses to drink coffee and therefore chooses to suffer withdrawals.

Forum List

Back