California Leg. OKs funding for high-speed rail line

Even with today's slow trains New York to Boston is quicker by rail than by air. If you take into account the time to get to the airport at least an hour before your flight, the time you spend in line to be probed, the time your plane sits on the runway waiting for clearance, the actual flight time, the time waiting for a gate to clear, the time waiting for your bag that you had to check 'cause all the overhead bins were full, the long walk to the taxi pickup point, the traffic on the way into town.

Of course I didn't believe it until I had tried and timed both.

In MOST of Europe the equation works out the same, especially with the Channel Tunnel.

Plus, when's the last time anybody hijacked a train?

It is even faster by car, but don't let facts upset your delusion that 19th century technology is the answer to the world's problems.

Plus, I am pretty sure that somebody blew up a train just a few years ago.

Last edited:
You should leave the country sometime.

See how the rest of the world looks..you'd be amazed.

Rotterdam-Antwerpen 300 km/h, Thalys cab ride / cabinerit - YouTube

Are you saying that trains were not invented over 200 years ago? By the time they finished building all the railroads somebody had invented a better way to travel. My guess is that we will do the same thing long before anyone can build a LA to NY high speed boondoggle, but why should you care, government money is magic in your universe.

I'm saying if you rode on one, you'd know what I am talking about.

It's efficient, energy saving and clean.

Plus it's pretty fun.
I've used high speed trains often in Europe. It is comfortable, efficient, and I get to see the countryside.

When can I ride the fast train?

The first ride was in the 19th century. Now we have a new invention called aeroplanes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vm8_l5oye4]Rotterdam-Antwerpen 300 km/h, Thalys cab ride / cabinerit - YouTube[/ame]

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Maybe you should get out more too Sallow! The distance from Rotterdam to Antwerp is around 50 miles. Care to guess how many miles it is from LA to SF? Here's a hint...it's more than 100....through BILLIONS of dollars of farmland.

The first ride was in the 19th century. Now we have a new invention called aeroplanes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vm8_l5oye4]Rotterdam-Antwerpen 300 km/h, Thalys cab ride / cabinerit - YouTube[/ame]

Europe works because they want it to.

No, the trains go from a "downtown to a downtown" but they're a lot more convenient and cheaper than flying and move people across empty rural areas as well as through cities.

We need to stop moving freight with trucks. Retrain truckers to work trains and save a bundle. Trains take freight to a hub and trucked from there.

The Rs will never allow trains because they're in the pocket of big oil.

This is not one of the profitable lines BTW. It can exist purely because millions of car owners subsidize it with their taxes.

Even with today's slow trains New York to Boston is quicker by rail than by air. If you take into account the time to get to the airport at least an hour before your flight, the time you spend in line to be probed, the time your plane sits on the runway waiting for clearance, the actual flight time, the time waiting for a gate to clear, the time waiting for your bag that you had to check 'cause all the overhead bins were full, the long walk to the taxi pickup point, the traffic on the way into town.

In MOST of Europe the equation works out the same, especially with the Channel Tunnel.

It is even faster by car, but don't let facts upset your delusion that 19th century technology is the answer to the world's problems.

Plus, I am pretty sure that somebody blew up a train just a few years ago.

Plus they crash on their own sadly....

CCTV video shows Spain train crash | Video | Reuters.com

Are you saying that trains were not invented over 200 years ago? By the time they finished building all the railroads somebody had invented a better way to travel. My guess is that we will do the same thing long before anyone can build a LA to NY high speed boondoggle, but why should you care, government money is magic in your universe.

Plus it's pretty fun.
I've used high speed trains often in Europe. It is comfortable, efficient, and I get to see the countryside.

Most of the time when we take the train your view is limited by the ditch they put them in. Very true of the Paris to London train. The Paris to Marseilles isn't too bad. Mostly though we drive. You get to actually STOP and see, taste, feel and smell the countryside.

Plus it's pretty fun.

Most of the time when we take the train your view is limited by the ditch they put them in. Very true of the Paris to London train. The Paris to Marseilles isn't too bad. Mostly though we drive. You get to actually STOP and see, taste, feel and smell the countryside.
What ditch? I've always been able to see very well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nR1Ztttyw]The futur of high-speed rail in France (TGV) and all over the world: - YouTube[/ame]

By the time it can go from Los Angeles to San Francisco, the technology will have been replaced by the hyperloop.

You understand hyperloop is an unworkable fantasy, right? It has a few ... issues.

1. Costs underestimated by ... oh, by at least a factor of 10.

2. It's a vomit comet. Will the lateral accelerations and lack of horizon view, everyone will be hurling.

3. Capacity about one-fourth of high speed rail.

4. Doesn't go downtown to downtown, like HSR will do, hence it's not any faster.

The hyperloop worked in both tests.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nR1Ztttyw]The futur of high-speed rail in France (TGV) and all over the world: - YouTube[/ame]

The ones like these.....

7b91639e7c36641116afa143c02a8124.jpg

2HST.jpg

T6500109-Eurostar_Channel_Tunnel_trains_passing_on_a_track-SPL.jpg

There's loads more but this will give you an idea...

Me thinks you haven't spent too much time on trains in France.

When can I ride the fast train?

You should take a math class and learn about population density.

There are no high speed rail lines in rural France unless it's in a corridor between two large cities. I wonder why?

The ones like these.....

7b91639e7c36641116afa143c02a8124.jpg

2HST.jpg

T6500109-Eurostar_Channel_Tunnel_trains_passing_on_a_track-SPL.jpg

There's loads more but this will give you an idea...

Me thinks you haven't spent too much time on trains in France.
See the video I posted ... no ditches. Of the ones you showed, one was through a city.
I've used TGV often.

Most of the US and certainly California is much less dense than the Boston-New York megalopolis. That's the key.

Also, security by low usage is not a solution. If as many people traveled by train as do by air then the security checks would be just as long.

Plus it's pretty fun.

Trains are great in the Northeast.

Get back to us when California has the same amount of people per square mile.

Rotterdam-Antwerpen 300 km/h, Thalys cab ride / cabinerit - YouTube

How much is a plane ticket from SF to LA?

How long incl. getting to the terminal and flying there, does it take?

How much is the train ride as of their last estimate?

How long incl. getting to the terminal and train riding there, does it take?

When will the track from SF to LA be working?

I await your responses and thank you in advance.

Await what?

Have a look at airplane routes sometime.

Airports are crowded and putting more planes in the air isn't really the answer.

And car traffic is nuts in California. I was just there.

Building more roads isn't really the answer either.

One of the most under utilized modes of transportation in the United States is something we essentially invented.

The train.

Time to get on board.

thats not what I asked you.

so, let me translate your post, a) I don't have any idea what I am taking about, b) I won't go and educated myself either, becasue I am a tool and its easy to talk crap and hope no one will notice...

thx, but I knew that...

:rolleyes:

Sadly, it's much faster to take a bus from Indianapolis to Chicago than to take the train (3.5 hours vs. 5 hours). That's the state of our rail system.

I'm a huge fan of traveling by train. I prefer it over flying or even driving. I'd love a high-speed train from SF to LA.

That said, this project is a complete failure that will go from nowhere to nowhere.

I wonder when the first bullet train that can get 500 mph will be developed. Probably the Japanese.

Maybe we should do business?

I wonder when the first warp drive will be developed. That would be progress, a 500 mph train is a waste of space.

I'm a huge fan of traveling by train. I prefer it over flying or even driving. I'd love a high-speed train from SF to LA.

That said, this project is a complete failure that will go from nowhere to nowhere.

Finally, someone that understands the difference between fantasy and reality.

Forum List

Back