Californias mentally ill

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
What To Do With California's Mentally Ill Defendants?

In 2010, Rodney Bock was arrested for carrying a loaded gun into a restaurant in Yuba City, Calif., north of Sacramento. Bock had severe mental illness and was later found incompetent to stand trial. He was released on bail, but was rearrested after he failed to appear at a court hearing.
Bock, 56, was placed in the Sutter County jail, awaiting transfer to a state hospital. While there, he began suffering hallucinations. After more than two weeks in jail, Bock hanged himself.
Mentally ill defendants like Bock, who are declared incompetent to stand trial, are supposed to be transferred to state mental hospitals for treatment within two or three months. But more than 300 of them throughout California are languishing in county jails because there's simply no bed space.
Bock's daughters are now plaintiffs in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, charging two state agencies, including the Department of State Hospitals, with denying mentally ill inmates their right to due process — and the treatment they need.
"Jail is simply too dangerous a place for these most vulnerable defendants," said Micaela Davis, lead attorney in the lawsuit. "We have inmates that are waiting eight, nine months and sometimes over a year before being transferred to a facility for treatment."

-----
Ummmm isn't 80% of cali mentally ill? What do we do about THAT?

Dangerously mentally ill (severe delusions, schitzophrenic, psychotic, etc.) should be euthanized. Sorry, while I don't blame them for being born messed up I don't think law-abidding self-control society should be sacrificed out of some misguided attempt to be nice to those who wouldn't think once about killing us and eating our livers.

Dangerously mentally ill (severe delusions, schitzophrenic, psychotic, etc.) should be euthanized. Sorry, while I don't blame them for being born messed up I don't think law-abidding self-control society should be sacrificed out of some misguided attempt to be nice to those who wouldn't think once about killing us and eating our livers.
Sparta? lol

Sparta? lol

Nah, they 'discarded' pleanty who woulda been just fine. I only wanna cull those who're never gonna contribute anything but grief.

no thanks------about 1% of every population is schizophrenic------VERY VERY few are homicidal

Over and over again the story is the same a mentally ill person, dangerous, perhaps living on the streets to create mayhem among strangers has been ignored or outright rejected by the family. Families refuse to let that family member anywhere near them. They would not recognize that brother, son, uncle on the street. Suddenly becomes the loving and supportive family when there is a buck to be made.

Ummmm isn't 80% of cali mentally ill?

YES. They reelected a Governor who canceled all highway and dam projects in the State his first time around, but now wants to build a $1 billion bullet train to nowhere while emptying our reservoirs with the hope that El Nino will bail him out.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go as far as saying they should be euthanized. However, someone killed by a mentally ill person isn't less dead than someone killed by a sane person.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they should be euthanized. However, someone killed by a mentally ill person isn't less dead than someone killed by a sane person.

I think the real issue is-----should mentally ill people be granted the RIGHT to live on the streets-----
just how much can they be restrained

Ummmm isn't 80% of cali mentally ill?

YES

am I lucky that I have never been in California? does the movie "THE GRADUATE" take place
in California? are there still gold miners there?
I would like to visit cali one day. In a full body condom.. LOL

try to get one with a decorative tip-------I once saw one with a feather on the tip
Well duh. Im gonna be stylin!

I think the real issue is-----should mentally ill people be granted the RIGHT to live on the streets-----
just how much can they be restrained

If someone deemed mentally ill commits the same crime as someone that isn't mentally ill and the sane person gets life in prison without parole, the mentally ill person should also be somewhere for life. That they are magically cured someday doesn't take away what they did.

In 2010, Rodney Bock was arrested for carrying a loaded gun into a restaurant in Yuba City, Calif., north of Sacramento. Bock had severe mental illness and was later found incompetent to stand trial. He was released on bail, but was rearrested after he failed to appear at a court hearing.
Bock, 56, was placed in the Sutter County jail, awaiting transfer to a state hospital. While there, he began suffering hallucinations. After more than two weeks in jail, Bock hanged himself.
Mentally ill defendants like Bock, who are declared incompetent to stand trial, are supposed to be transferred to state mental hospitals for treatment within two or three months. But more than 300 of them throughout California are languishing in county jails because there's simply no bed space.
Bock's daughters are now plaintiffs in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, charging two state agencies, including the Department of State Hospitals, with denying mentally ill inmates their right to due process — and the treatment they need.
"Jail is simply too dangerous a place for these most vulnerable defendants," said Micaela Davis, lead attorney in the lawsuit. "We have inmates that are waiting eight, nine months and sometimes over a year before being transferred to a facility for treatment."

-----

What do we do with your baseless fallacy?

Laugh and point at it, presumably.

-----

You mean my joke at the end? idiot

-----

I'm pointing and laughing, aren't I?

-----

I'm pointing and laughing, aren't I?
Are you? :dunno:

Forum List

Back