Can Iraq separate religion and state?

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Does anyone think that any Muslim country can separate religion and state?

Several groups appear to be vying to control Iraqis' social lives and liberties: organized crime, religious factions and even armed security forces. Motives range from money to fundamentalism, but the situation calls for governance where armed parties and factions are no longer allowed to meddle in social affairs.

Summary⎙ Print Campaigns against social activity in Iraq call for a state that imposes its own rules and where Islamic factions have no power or influence.
Author Wassim BassemPosted February 16, 2016
TranslatorKamal Fayad
On Jan. 25, flyers calling for bans on singing and makeup were plastered throughout Baghdad on cement barricades, near security checkpoints and on the walls of the Zora Gardens that families in Baghdad frequent. This seemed to be an organized campaignagainst liberties, and it led to great controversy in the media, social networking sites and Iraqi society as a whole.

Questions abounded about the motives of said campaign and what party stood behind it. However, the perpetrators’ failure to identify themselves does not mean they were unknown to most Iraqis: They are supposedly religious conservatives who treat with disdainany ideas not in line with their views.

Read more: Can Iraq separate religion and state? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

The Pope and the Vatican still hold a good deal of sway over the peoples lives and some government's actions.
As Islam is both religious AND political and cannot be separated, with rare exceptions, Muslim nations cannot separate its religion from the state. Exceptions: Tunisia where tourism is extremely important and Egypt where the military rules and again, tourism is extremely important.

Sally, et al,

Well, I think that a Muslim Country with any surviving intellectuals or highly educated people as a group, possessing cultural understanding, political influence and the ability to suppress the growth of radicalization can. I don't consider Iraq one of those enlightened countries.

Several groups appear to be vying to control Iraqis' social lives and liberties: organized crime, religious factions and even armed security forces. Motives range from money to fundamentalism, but the situation calls for governance where armed parties and factions are no longer allowed to meddle in social affairs.

Summary⎙ Print Campaigns against social activity in Iraq call for a state that imposes its own rules and where Islamic factions have no power or influence.
TranslatorKamal Fayad
On Jan. 25, flyers calling for bans on singing and makeup were plastered throughout Baghdad on cement barricades, near security checkpoints and on the walls of the Zora Gardens that families in Baghdad frequent. This seemed to be an organized campaignagainst liberties, and it led to great controversy in the media, social networking sites and Iraqi society as a whole.

Questions abounded about the motives of said campaign and what party stood behind it. However, the perpetrators’ failure to identify themselves does not mean they were unknown to most Iraqis: They are supposedly religious conservatives who treat with disdainany ideas not in line with their views.

Read more: Can Iraq separate religion and state? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East
(COMMENT)

When you hear about a Radicalized Islamic Culture like the Taliban or DAESH (or the re-emerging radical fundamentalist in Iraq) that flog and stone women to death, or bury them alive; and shoot women in the back of the head for insignificant actions and religious entertainment --- you know you have a population that is more than mentally backward and deficient; that use the color of religion to pretend to be pious, or suggest that they know right from wrong in some sort of special divine connection they have with a deity. --- Then you know (without question) they are represent and are being influenced by those with psychotic person; driven by a religious delusion. When you have a ethnic population that believes they have the right to throw acid on women, for wearing make-up or a skirt; as oppose to a hijab (or similar head to toe covering). When you hear about radical Islamic fanatics that attack wedding parties for playing celebratory music, or smash and destroy ancient artifacts and significant antiquities and archaeological, you know that you have run into a people that have nothing to contribute to their culture and despise those that have contributed to the positive development of the human experience.

When you have encountered a despotic and fanatical cult like culture that suppresses freedoms and eradicates the historically significant contributions of the past, you know you have just entered the influence of the Radical Islamic Terrorist.

Can Iraq separate religion and state? ANSWER: Not until the Islamic culture decides to make a positive contribution to humanity. In the case of the Islamic cults from Pakistan to the west and Syria and south to Iran --- unlikely into the near future. These self destructive cult like cultures have become a cancer on society and must kill, pillage and destroy as a means of religious entertainment.

Just my perspective ---
Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:
When Muslims/Islamists do horrible things to women and others in the name of Islam, they are not being influenced by psychotic individuals who can influence them, but rather, they are following the teachings of the religion's founder, a murderous, polygamist, child molester, named Muhammad.

Sally, et al,

Well, I think that a Muslim Country with any surviving intellectuals or highly educated people as a group, possessing cultural understanding, political influence and the ability to suppress the growth of radicalization can. I don't consider Iraq one of those enlightened countries.

TranslatorKamal Fayad

(COMMENT)

When you hear about a Radicalized Islamic Culture like the Taliban or DAESH (or the re-emerging radical fundamentalist in Iraq) that flog and stone women to death, or bury them alive; and shoot women in the back of the head for insignificant actions and religious entertainment --- you know you have a population that is more than mentally backward and deficient; that use the color of religion to pretend to be pious, or suggest that they know right from wrong in some sort of special divine connection they have with a deity. --- Then you know (without question) they are represent and are being influenced by those with psychotic person; driven by a religious delusion. When you have a ethnic population that believes they have the right to throw acid on women, for wearing make-up or a skirt; as oppose to a hijab (or similar head to toe covering). When you hear about radical Islamic fanatics that attack wedding parties for playing celebratory music, or smash and destroy ancient artifacts and significant antiquities and archaeological, you know that you have run into a people that have nothing to contribute to their culture and despise those that have contributed to the positive development of the human experience.

When you have encountered a despotic and fanatical cult like culture that suppresses freedoms and eradicates the historically significant contributions of the past, you know you have just entered the influence of the Radical Islamic Terrorist.

Can Iraq separate religion and state? ANSWER: Not until the Islamic culture decides to make a positive contribution to humanity. In the case of the Islamic cults from Pakistan to the west and Syria and south to Iran --- unlikely into the near future. These self destructive cult like cultures have become a cancer on society and must kill, pillage and destroy as a means of religious entertainment.

Just my perspective ---
Most Respectfully,
R[/QUOT

To tell you the truth, Rocco, I have high hopes for the UAE. They act like they are emulating te Western world what with their 10K runs for cancer, health clinics and even space technology. However, I don't think it will happen in the immediate future while the current old leaders are in charge. Perhaps the young Iranians can also achieve this once the older leaders pass on. I was reading the other day on the Iran forum where an Iranian poster said that most are agnostic but have to do what the higher ups tell them to. This could be. My own Iranian Muslim neighbor told me that she went to a Catholic college and she sent her daughters to Catholic school here (probably in the local Parish).

Sally, et al,

Most (not all) of the countries that make-up the membership to the League of Arab States (LOS) are evolving; most in a positive direction. If one were to separate the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict out of the mix, the dynamic relationship between the US and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) (Rated 41 on the scale of very highly development human development) would be that of a health economic competitor on the world market and business scene. The UAE is the third most highly development nation within the Arab League (only Qatar and Saudi Arabia being higher) and climbing.

To tell you the truth, Rocco, I have high hopes for the UAE. They act like they are emulating te Western world what with their 10K runs for cancer, health clinics and even space technology. However, I don't think it will happen in the immediate future while the current old leaders are in charge. Perhaps the young Iranians can also achieve this once the older leaders pass on. I was reading the other day on the Iran forum where an Iranian poster said that most are agnostic but have to do what the higher ups tell them to. This could be. My own Iranian Muslim neighbor told me that she went to a Catholic college and she sent her daughters to Catholic school here (probably in the local Parish).
(COMMENT)

The members of the LOS all have potential; but, the development of the individual nations is a matter of nationalism and an ernest intent to improve the strength and progressiveness of the people to gradually enter into the political arena, improving and stabilizing the environment, improving the security and rights of the citizenry, --- AND --- promoting equity and social justice. But, with many of the LOS members, they tend to have a very strong non-secularly influenced centralized government with the reigns of power in the hands of Royalty or a Dictatorship. Anyone who has been to Doha, especially at night, cannot helped but by being impressed with the magnificent skyline of the city and its international complexion (largely from migrant workers). And gradually, the progress (educational, scientific, commercial, industrial, and politically) will slowly change the way the people of Qatar view the world.

Most Respectfully,
R

TranslatorKamal Fayad

IMHO, and in a word, no.

More importantly "can the US ?"

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see people stoned or having their hands cut off. Why not take the time and ask some Muslims why they left their home countries in order to live in the West. There are now loads of Muslims living in the U.S. so you should have no problem in finding them.

Sally, et al,

If there was ever a country, that was then and is now, totally screwed-up, it was Iraq.

wasn't Iraq secular when Saddam was there? I think it was?

Why was he killing thousands and thousands and thousands of Kurds?
(COMMENT)

This dates back to the 1920 Treaty of Sevres, Section III, Kurdistan, Articles 62 - 64: There was a scheme to establish local autonomy for the predominantly Kurdish areas lying east of the Euphrates, south of the southern boundary of Armenia as it may be hereafter determined, and north of the frontier of Turkey with Syria and Mesopotamia, as defined in Article 27, II (2) and (3).

But that was not replicated in the Treaty of Lausanne. The Kurds never got the own country. And the PPK have been fighting for it since then.

Most Respectfully,
R

Forum List

Back