Can't figure out why anyone with a Cell Phone and Laptop needs with a Tablet

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
Seems to be a pointless electronic device since

1. Your phone can do everything a Tablet can do

2. Tablet is too big for public

3. Not necessary for Indoors since you have the laptop or PC

So what the hell am I paying for when it really serves no purpose at home or in public?

I see tablets on sale from time to time and I look into them to see what practical purpose the thing might have.

Have yet to find one.

I think it's yet another ad gimmick to sell shit nobody needs, while they hope nobody notices they don't need it.
Sadly, that works a lot.

I see tablets on sale from time to time and I look into them to see what practical purpose the thing might have.

Have yet to find one.

I think it's yet another ad gimmick to sell shit nobody needs, while they hope nobody notices they don't need it.
Sadly, that works a lot.

Thank you because I knew I was not the only who realized this

Love tablets. Phones are fine for calling and texts. Laptops and PCs are heavier, generate heat, and are cumbersome. A tablet can have a screen comparable in size to laptops and PCs, but are light and handy to use anywhere. Lots of people take their's in public. It's great to have next to your easy chair while watching TV, and you can easily research old movies, actors, stuff that comes up on the news you want more info on. I use mine all the time and have been astounded just how much I've used it over the past two years. It has been worth every nickel I spent on it, and I don't buy electronics frivolously. Great convenient tools.

Bigger phones are a trend --- smaller tablets are hot sales items. SOON you have a phone in a tablet and your damn phone will be too big. It's all technology development stuck in the mud. Nobody has an earthly clue why you need so many similar gadgets.

To answer the question -- tablets are for fun. Laptops are for work and getting paid. If you're getting paid -- the laptop ain't "too heavy"..

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
images

I'm so sick of people being able to contact me because they have a problem instead of just calling to say "Hi! How ya' doin'".

If I didn't have a job that required people being able to contact me I wouldn't even have a cell phone....

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Bigger phones are a trend --- smaller tablets are hot sales items. SOON you have a phone in a tablet and your damn phone will be too big. It's all technology development stuck in the mud. Nobody has an earthly clue why you need so many similar gadgets.

To answer the question -- tablets are for fun. Laptops are for work and getting paid. If you're getting paid -- the laptop ain't "too heavy"..

You can have a phone in a tablet now. They come in a wifi only model or a wifi plus cellular model. The ones with both are cell phones, but with a large more viewable screen. All your contacts can be in your tablet and you can call whomever you desire making it seamless. The bigger cell phones are difficult to fit into pants pockets, and don't fit well into average sized hands. Laptops, as I mentioned, generate a lot of heat if you hold them in your lap instead of having them on a desktop. You can perform any work on a tablet that you can on a laptop, although some don't have a printer port in which case you need a Bluetooth printer. Even the models that don't have a printer port, you can email a file to your laptop or desktop computer and print it that way. Tablets will soon replace laptops.

I have an iPhone I use to talk/text and for finding where I am going
I have a laptop that I use for work/email/here/general browsing
I have a Kindle I use for primarily reading.
You cannot obviously comfortably read on a laptop, nor is the screen made for reading.
You can read on a phone, but the screen is too small.

I have an iPhone I use to talk/text and for finding where I am going
I have a laptop that I use for work/email/here/general browsing
I have a Kindle I use for primarily reading.
You cannot obviously comfortably read on a laptop, nor is the screen made for reading.
You can read on a phone, but the screen is too small.

What the fuck you mean you can't read on the laptop? Are you retarded?

Love tablets. Phones are fine for calling and texts. Laptops and PCs are heavier, generate heat, and are cumbersome. A tablet can have a screen comparable in size to laptops and PCs, but are light and handy to use anywhere. Lots of people take their's in public. It's great to have next to your easy chair while watching TV, and you can easily research old movies, actors, stuff that comes up on the news you want more info on. I use mine all the time and have been astounded just how much I've used it over the past two years. It has been worth every nickel I spent on it, and I don't buy electronics frivolously. Great convenient tools.

No keyboard? how you type all that above on phone or tablet?

I don't chat much on USMB until I get home since it involves a lot of typing

You can have a phone in a tablet now. They come in a wifi only model or a wifi plus cellular model. The ones with both are cell phones, but with a large more viewable screen. All your contacts can be in your tablet and you can call whomever you desire making it seamless. The bigger cell phones are difficult to fit into pants pockets, and don't fit well into average sized hands. Laptops, as I mentioned, generate a lot of heat if you hold them in your lap instead of having them on a desktop. You can perform any work on a tablet that you can on a laptop, although some don't have a printer port in which case you need a Bluetooth printer. Even the models that don't have a printer port, you can email a file to your laptop or desktop computer and print it that way. Tablets will soon replace laptops.

Can't do real work on a tablet. Just don't have the full view of the screen and the touch resolution to work efficiently. Doing complex in Excel or a CAD program is not fun or easy. And typing long reports with a less that full keypad is gonna stunt your promotions.. They don't have CD/DVD either. And to set up a presentation in a conference room or office isn't as quick and reliable..

Tablets also have sketchy USB support for the common devices used for work.

Tablets are needed in case you drop your cell phone in the toilet accidentally. Your laptop is likely too big for that. Plus what if you lose your laptop's charger?

Seems to be a pointless electronic device since

1. Your phone can do everything a Tablet can do

2. Tablet is too big for public

3. Not necessary for Indoors since you have the laptop or PC

So what the hell am I paying for when it really serves no purpose at home or in public?
Thank you very much. I have a tablet that I haven't touched in months. You can't do a damned thing with them. They take good pictures, but that's about it. As a matter of fact, I'm so fed up with wireless altogether I'm going to bite the bullet and end my contract on everything except my cell phone. Come Monday morning, I'm going back to broadband service and screw the cost of ending the wireless contracts. I make and receive almost no phone calls by cell or home phone - anything that says "Caller Unknown," "800-," "Blocked Number," or anything else - if I don't recognize the number I ignore it. I sometimes get a lot of static, weather interference, etc. I work 48 hours a week (12 hours/4 day week) and I'm too tired to be bothered. I've sometimes found wireless slower than DSL ... waiting ... waiting. I'm actually afraid to get on my computer because I'm somehow bleeding 3gb of data in a matter of less than 3 weeks every month. I've actually lost about 90% of the computer usage I used to enjoy so freely pre-wireless. I can't get on USMB anymore because I'm worried about data usage, I can't get on Ancestry anymore for fear of data usage, I very rarely get on Facebook. I've got a great computer, only 2, maybe 3 years old, I've got good security, I update ... I hate wireless.

Can't do real work on a tablet. Just don't have the full view of the screen and the touch resolution to work efficiently. Doing complex in Excel or a CAD program is not fun or easy. And typing long reports with a less that full keypad is gonna stunt your promotions.. They don't have CD/DVD either. And to set up a presentation in a conference room or office isn't as quick and reliable..

Tablets also have sketchy USB support for the common devices used for work.

You are mostly correct. You can do the entire Microsoft suite of Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) on a tablet. There are keyboards you can attach to a tablet, so typing long reports isn't an issue. Touch screen resolution isn't an issue either. They currently don't support CD/DVD.

Keyboards are available, so you don't have to use the on-screen one if you prefer the separate hardware.

I felt tablets were a waste for a long time.

I still feel "smart phones" are more bother than worth.

But I decided to try a tablet when packing a suitcase for my frequent travel. I had been packing a MacBook Air 11-inch which was pretty compact. I used it to keep my detailed trip plans and notes in compact form. I downloaded my camera to it each evening to back up the pictures in case the camera was lost or stolen. Between email and SKYPE I kept in touch with family without running up big phone bills. I do carry a Eurobuzz simple cell phone when traveling. That way I can deal with emergencies and get immediate messages about flight changes. Also good for getting the occasional cab. Neat device; buy it outright for a pittance and pay 79-cents/minute which seems high but you pay for only what you use and no monthly fees at all.

But then one day while packing II found that even the laptop took up too much room. I bought a reconditioned IPad mini. It does everything I was using the laptop to do. Not as easily on the email but adequate. I don't take the laptop anymore. But my wife does. She does a lot of travel writing (you may have read some of her books but I'm not promoting them here) so puts her notes into simple text files and copies in the pictures. Then when she's home it's simple to transfer them to her big screen Mac and edit without having to transcribe. So for us there's a place for all three.

I'm experimenting with a dirt-cheap Amazon Fire and, so far, it seems like it would serve the same purpose as the more expensive iPad. I don't like the operating system but with a little experience I don't think it wold be intolerable.

But I decided to try a tablet when packing a suitcase for my frequent travel. I had been packing a MacBook Air 11-inch which was pretty compact. I used it to keep my detailed trip plans and notes in compact form. I downloaded my camera to it each evening to back up the pictures in case the camera was lost or stolen. Between email and SKYPE I kept in touch with family without running up big phone bills. I do carry a Eurobuzz simple cell phone when traveling. That way I can deal with emergencies and get immediate messages about flight changes. Also good for getting the occasional cab. Neat device; buy it outright for a pittance and pay 79-cents/minute which seems high but you pay for only what you use and no monthly fees at all.

But then one day while packing II found that even the laptop took up too much room. I bought a reconditioned IPad mini. It does everything I was using the laptop to do. Not as easily on the email but adequate. I don't take the laptop anymore. But my wife does. She does a lot of travel writing (you may have read some of her books but I'm not promoting them here) so puts her notes into simple text files and copies in the pictures. Then when she's home it's simple to transfer them to her big screen Mac and edit without having to transcribe. So for us there's a place for all three.

I'm experimenting with a dirt-cheap Amazon Fire and, so far, it seems like it would serve the same purpose as the more expensive iPad. I don't like the operating system but with a little experience I don't think it wold be intolerable.

Agree, there's a place for all three. Why just have a hammer and a wrench, when adding a screwdriver would be helpful? I've used two tablets regularly, an iPad mini and a Samsung Galaxy. I prefer the iPad as it is more feature rich compared to the android. I just ordered the brand new iPad Pro and am awaiting delivery. Apple has a better interface, IMO, than others.

Agree, there's a place for all three. Why just have a hammer and a wrench, when adding a screwdriver would be helpful? I've used two tablets regularly, an iPad mini and a Samsung Galaxy. I prefer the iPad as it is more feature rich compared to the android. I just ordered the brand new iPad Pro and am awaiting delivery. Apple has a better interface, IMO, than others.

Well -- because a screwdriver actually does something the hammer and wrench don't, that's why. Does not apply here.

This reminds me of the Nosebook craze. A while back friends that had capitulated to join Nosebook. So I asked them, "what will this give me that I don't already have?" No one ever came up with an answer. Now they're stuck with a marketing gimmick that sucks up their time and spies on what they do, and I'm not.

The more opportunity you have to be on line, the more you waste your life.

No reason for it.

Forum List

Back